It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empty Words and Euphemism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Every statement ends up begging the question as I've mentioned before. Well what is the self? What is the ego? What is the difference between the two? What is self-realization? I would have to ask questions infinitely in the hopes to find any common ground, but all I find is more and more abstractions. You know these things. You should be able to describe them.

And I will repeat, the only answer that will satisfy you is for you to experience these for yourself. The hint is in the word "self-realization". One has to realize the self within one's self. No-one else can realize this self for you. They may be able to point the way, but that is not the same as experiencing this for yourself, and for your self.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

I can bear with you but you just went from being a color blind human to being an inanimate object.

I understand what you were trying to do in your first post. I just took it upon myself to offer a practical and rational solution to the situation you proposed but know you have taken it to an irrational exterme.

I will say that I don't agree with the OP and agree with what you were trying to do but I don't think you went about it the right way.

edit on 29-4-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Obviously it is not self-evidently the case. You cannot produce what you are talking about. If I were to behold who you are with my own eyes, what would I see? Consciousness? Ego? Awareness? None of the above.

You've been sold an idea friend. That's all there is to it. You remain without your consciousness. Empty-handed, but nonetheless, no different than what you are.
There you go again, trusting what you think you see. And yet whenever I ask you what does the room you are sitting in right now actually look like in reality, you can never answer it. Your eyes are just point-of-view machines. Sight gives you a sense of some object from a single point of view, but can never even tell you what an object actually looks like in reality - much less what any object actually IS! You put your full trust for your sense of reality in something so limited? Sounds like you have bought into a very limited idea, friend.

You have to go beyond your conceptualizing and perception to understand this matter of consciousness. Recognize and feel whole bodily what is actually the case. Do this for awhile - release all your identifying with the thinking mind, drop into the real depth of being itself...

Take care, LesMis.

edit on 29-4-2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

I can bear with you but you just went from being a color blind human to being an inanimate object.

I understand what you were trying to do in your first post. I just took it upon myself to offer a practical and rational solution to the situation you proposed but know you have taken it to an irrational exterme.

I will say that I don't agree with the OP and agree with what you were trying to do but I don't think you went about it the right way.

Hopefully my 'rider' covers your a** as well...

...but seriously, if I have no means of 'recording' the event...I can claim it does not exist...and sound half smart in the process...

Experiencing the color red..."You know these things. You should be able to describe them."

A99
edit on 29-4-2013 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I don't know what you are trying to get at. You offered up a situation which was not a singular event but a condition that a person is living with.

Like you said in an earlier post, forget the apple, the crux isn't the apple but the person that cannot register red. In this case it would seem that it would be the person that can't register whatever certain eupheisms are alluding to.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   

I don't know what you are trying to get at. You offered up a situation which was not a singular event but a condition that a person is living with.

Like you said in an earlier post, forget the apple, the crux isn't the apple but the person that cannot register red. In this case it would seem that it would be the person that can't register whatever certain eupheisms are alluding to.

Bingo...

...if I can't register it...does it exist anyway?

A99

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Subjectively, no but, yes, if it in fact exists.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Subjectively, no but, yes, if it in fact exists.

'In fact' is an interesting phrase...

Surely it ceases to exist if it is unquantifiable?!...factually speaking...

The fact of an experience?

A99

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

No, the fact existing whether a particular person experiences it or not.

For example if you have an AM radio and a radio station is transmitting FM you will never pick up the signal (experience their transmission). It doesn't mean that they are not transmitting.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99
[

A99

According to quantum theory, both the apple and the color red are empty of any independently existing position in space.

Make of that what you will.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

No, the fact existing whether a particular person experiences it or not.

For example if you have an AM radio and a radio station is transmitting FM you will never pick up the signal (experience their transmission). It doesn't mean that they are not transmitting.

...I'm hearing you, on the 'picking up the signal' jaunt...you'd need an FM radio...non?...something that would 'pick up the signal'?...

What happened before FM signals? Were they ever 'picked up'?
...because if I'm understanding what you're saying...there are sounds, colors, sensations etc...that I cannot 'pick up'? I wonder if I'm the only one afflicted with this deficit...and whether that experience of not 'picking s**t up' is not more pervasive than I thought...

A99

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon

[

A99

According to quantum theory, both the apple and the color red are empty of any independently existing position in space.

Make of that what you will.

Sound like 'empty words and euphemisms'...

A99

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

It would seem to go both ways. From what I understand dogs are colorblind so, you see more than them, unless you are color blind but, they can out smell you. Bats can hear ultrasound which humans can't and snakes are supposed to be better than us at sensing heat (infrared).

Who knows what else is out there being transmitted that we don't all have the equipment to pick up but maybe, just maybe, some do. But, if they can, how do they convey that experience to the rest of us? It would seem like empty words and euphemism, wouldn't it?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

It would seem to go both ways. From what I understand dogs are colorblind so you see more than them, unless you are color blind but they can out smell you. Bats can hear ultrasound which humans can't and snakes are supposed to be better than us at sensing heat (infrared).

Who knows what else is out there being transmitted that we don't all have the equipment to pick up but maybe, just maybe, some do. But, if they can how do they convey that experience to the rest of us? It would seem like empty words and euphemism, wouldn't it?

You should be addressing that, to the OP!

A99

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

[
...but, I'm hearing you, on the 'picking up the signal' jaunt...you'd need an FM radio...non?...something that would 'pick up the signal'?...

The example of the radio signals are an excellent one for this topic.

According to mystic teachings, we have additional subtle faculties of seeing and hearing which are normally dormant as long as the focus of consciousness is seated within ego and identifies solely with the material aspect of life. Through spiritual practice, these faculties are revived, so then we can see and hear non-material phenomena.

If the subtle faculties have not been revived, this is akin to not being able to hear radio signals without a radio. We literally need eyes to see and ears to hear the inner realities.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I'm sure the OP is on top of his thread. I expect a rebuttal to any of my posts even if they were not in response to any of his.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Red is the colour of blood.

Profound OP.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

I'm sure the OP is on top of his thread. I expect a rebuttal to any of my posts even if they were not in response to any of his.

On top of his thread...you say?

So...you are of the opinion that he agrees with you (or I for that matter)?...because he is not rebutting?

A99

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle

Red is the colour of blood.

Profound OP.

Le sang gris?

Pas assez profond!

A99

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link