Freedom Isn't Free

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Freedom isn't free. That's the Right wing battle cry.

It made me pause and think, what exactly do they really mean by this? Of course freedom is free, that's the actual definition of freedom, otherwise, it's not really freedom.

Right Wingers will likely argue that the price for freedom is the blood of those that sacrificed themselves for our freedom. But, is that what they REALLY mean?

I have to argue no, this isn't what they really mean. The real explanation behind the mantra “Freedom isn't free” is socioeconomic.

What Right Wingers really mean by this is that the only way to be truly free in this nation according to them is through wealth. Is through the right breeding, is through the gender of the person, is through the status of the person.

No, freedom isn't free in America, least not anymore.

And if the Right Wingers get their way, that freedom will be even further limited to the few.

Freedom isn't free: If you are a woman.

Women's health issues have crept it's ugly head into this election cycle. Right wingers calling women who choose to take contraceptives for the health benefits whores, sluts, among other nasty things, calling for the death of all preventative medical care based solely on a misguided idea of contraceptive uses.

I can't claim to know a whole lot about the inner workings of the female anatomy. But if something simple can be used that effectively and safely prevents a lot of problems now and down the road. I don't personally see why people would be against women taking it.

Economically it would make more sense for women to have access to this if it helps them be more productive. Less time off for “feminine issues” (don't mean to be offensive) more time at work, more GDP for America.

But I guess the Right doesn't see it that way.

Freedom isn't free: If you are homosexual

It's no secret that many Right Wingers are homophobic to the point of hysteria. Even going so far as to call for a constitutional amendment limiting the freedom of citizens of this nation to pursue happiness in the form of marriage.

Homosexual marriage doesn't adversely affect anyone, for any reason, it doesn't diminish the sanctity of marriage because that sanctity is a belief. The only thing that homosexual marriage does is gives people the right to pursue happiness that is an inalienable right.

Besides the fact that marriage is simply an economic contract between two people in this country and has really nothing to do with love anyway. This is plainly evidenced in divorce. And as any person above the age of 18 is already able to willingly enter into a contract, it makes no sense why they can't enter into this contract as well.

I can agree that religious institutions should not be forced to marry couples as that would be violating their First Amendment right to Freedom of Religion. A religious institution should be allowed to believe and dictate their own beliefs, and if their beliefs don't include marrying of same sex couples, they should have the right to deny that service. And homosexual couples should respect that. (which they probably do) 

Freedom isn't free: If you are poor

In the most blatant and baffling misuse of the idea of freedom isn't free, is the right wingers call to end any and all help for the most disadvantaged in our society. Right Wingers feel that anyone who through no fault of their own makes little to nothing are somehow worth less than those who earn a great salary.

While it is true that some people do use the system, some people actually do need help. Not everyone makes a 6 figure income or even a 5 figure income in this society.

What I don't understand is why would Americans not want to help out their own? Shouldn't we help our own poorest before we can claim to help others in worse off countries?

Isn't in our best interest as a whole to give people a hand up to better themselves? Shouldn't we in fact demand that we take care of our own and make sure that each and every person has the tools they need to at least have the chance at making their lives better?

Not if you’re a right winger, if you are a right winger, the ideal is watching with sickening glee as the less fortunate starve to death around them. Maybe they will pay the one's that aren't quite dead to shovel off the corpses of the ones that didn't make it, till they themselves die. As if they took a page right out of Hermann Göring's diary and say to us, “No useless mouths to feed, those who can work will work for the Reich, the rest will die. Those who work will give everything they have till they themselves die.”

Pretty much sums up the attitude of the right wingers in this country towards the poor.

Freedom isn't free: If your ancestry is anywhere other than Europe.

Right Wingers feel that if you happen to be from any other continent other than Europe, that automatically makes you illegal. Especially if you are from south of the border. Not to mention if god forbid, you speak any other language other than English. For some reason, they don't see the irony in wanting to force everyone to speak English only, as taking away freedoms from people.

Freedom of speech is an important part of this society. We as a nation do NOT have a singular language; we never did in the history of this country have a national language. And those that the right wingers hate with the most gusto are primarily living in places that historically were theirs to begin with. The Spanish owned a major chunk of this country for many many years before America ever got a hold of it.

Freedom isn't free: If you believe in another religion besides Christianity.

Here, Right Wingers really show their true fascist colors, the protests of Mosques around the nation fly in the face of one of our most sacred freedoms, the freedom to worship the way you want. These people actually have the audacity and gall to use their First Amendment Rights to try and suppress the First Amendment Rights of others. Even going so far as rewriting American history to try and oppress those that don't believe in Christianity.

It doesn't matter if you don't believe in another religion, they still have every right to worship the way they please. You don't have to like it, you just have to tolerate it.

The Right wants you to believe if Muslims are accepted into our society that Sharia law will follow. It's an absurd and ridiculous idea, all the while; they try and push their own cannon law upon everyone. And if we reject it, they tell us that there's a war on Christianity.

The double standard and hypocrisy is appalling.

edit on 28-4-2013 by HauntWok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
 No my friends, Freedom isn't free, and that's especially true if you aren't one of the target demographic of the hard line Right. To these people, you don't deserve freedom, you don't deserve anything but to get out of their faces and hide because you aren't the “real America”. You, to these people are a parasite, a blemish, an infectious disease destroying the fabric of what to them was once a great and powerful nation.

They long for their ideal “Leave it to Beaver” “Happy Days” “All in the Family” world. Cause in those worlds, you above aren't in it, and they like that idea just fine.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
star and flag,

someone finally put the hypocrisy into words,
i hope people think before they try to define freedom to suit their objective of subjugating the poor,

i have always pointed out to people,
Americans will not let others hurt Americans,
unless it the rich Americans hurting the poor Americans.

strange political environment over their.

time to become one nation again

xploder

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Freedom isn't free.

For guns owners.
For people who became successful.
For unborn babies.
For smokers.
For people who don't want to pay into health insurance.
For small business owners.
For Constitutionalists.
For returning veterans.
For people who believe in the freedom of speech.
For people who value their privacy.

It goes both ways.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Freedom isn't free is not a right wing 'battle cry' but a fact. It isn't right wing either. The ACLU is not a right wing organization by any stretch of the imagination but they are right there on the front lines defending the rights of Americans. The SPLC is another left leaning organization that is dedicated to fighting oppression. The real facts are that right wing left wing and centrists like myself all must remain vigilant in the fight against tyranny of any kind. The mantra is more a testament to vigilance than a cause to war.

I laugh every time I see one of these partisan slave posts. If you are buying into the whole left/right BS you are nothing more than a tool for TPTB. Wake up.
edit on 2013/4/28 by Metallicus because: spelling challenged

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Every word of this is the voice of pure evil. A brainwashed voice, to be sure, but nonetheless spelling out all the things that are ruining this country. The ACLU and SPLC are right in the thick of it, too. This is just parroting their garbage propaganda, 100 percent.

Freedom IS free. I am free to support myself. Forcing me to have to pay to support others is definitely the opposite of freedom.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

For guns owners.

What are you talking about? Gun owners have obliterated any discussion on the national level of any type of gun legislation, backed by the NRA and other gun rights groups.

People are buying more and more guns, ironically more and more shootings are happening.

For people who became successful.

Like Bernie Madoff? Or Enron executives, or AIG (do I really have to go on?) When people stomp on the little guy, or steal from the weak in order to become successful. They deserve absolutely no pity from anyone.

For unborn babies.

It's really simple, if you are against abortion, don't have one. That's the most conservative attitude one could have. Don't force your morality down other people's throats.

For smokers.

Again, your rights end, where other people's begin, and some people don't think that noxious fumes are a good thing to inhale. I'm a smoker, I don't smoke in my own apartment, because I have a 10 year old boy who should have a chance to breathe reasonably clean air.

For people who don't want to pay into health insurance.

Yes, these people, who raise rates on others by using the ER for things like the cold and flu and skipping out on the bill.

For small business owners.

Oh get off the cross for small business owners. These people aren't as hard working or innocent as people claim.

For Constitutionalists.

Most of whom never read the Constitution before anyway.

For returning veterans.

Who get everything under the sun handed to them. From FREE healthcare for the rest of their lives, to housing assistance, to disability.

For people who believe in the freedom of speech.

Right wingers don't believe in freedom of speech, they want to silence anyone who says anything that they don't agree with. Gun rights advocates often use the threat of violence to silence people who want gun legislation.

For people who value their privacy.

Privacy issues are a concern. People do need to be vigilant and rally against legislation that would invade our privacy.

It goes both ways.

No it doesn't. Not anymore.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

So I can assume, then, that you've shunned every tax credit that was not business based, that you forsake travelling upon public roads, using all public works, and that you've informed Social Security that you will NOT be making any claim upon your benefits should you reach the age of applicability?

After all, we wouldn't want other hard working, upstanding Americans paying anything to benefit you now would we?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I agree. Freedom isn't free. It was paid for by the blood and toil of many great men and women that came before us. Some gave their lives for our freedoms.

That's why we shouldn't surrender our freedoms in exchange for false promises of security from liars. We need to do everything possible to preserve our freedoms so that we can pass them on to future generations.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This whole Freedom thing is an illusion.

What would you do
If you were asked to give up your dreams for freedom?
What would you do
If asked to make the ultimate sacrifice?

Would you think about all them people
Who gave up everything they had?
Would you think about all them War Vets
And would you start to feel bad?

Freedom isn't free
It costs folks like you and me
And if we don't all chip in
We'll never pay that bill
Freedom isn't free
No, there's a hefty in' fee.
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?

Freedom costs a buck 'o five.
edit on 28-4-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Team America?

edit on 28/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Unicorns?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

You know it!

I realize it's a comedy but it did hit a lot of issues square on the head, imo.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Only a dead man is a free man.

Tfw.

edit on 28/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: A single interaction can have multiple interpretations.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

True.

I see Independent voter and I read;

... "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers", "right wingers",etc...

My Question

So, does "Independent voter" mean "left winger"?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

As existential as that post was, it proved that you didn't bother reading past the title of the OP.

Sure, in the Sylvia Plath sense of the word we all are dying. And the only prison we have is within our minds. But what I was talking about is the Right Wing mantra "freedom isn't free" which they throw up whenever they want to be selfish, and self centered instead of working to make this country a better place.

My Question

So, does "Independent voter" mean "left winger"?

In the political spectrum, I am considered center of the aisle. In the new Conservative ideology, anyone left of extreme right, is a left winger nowadays.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Sorry, HauntWok. It's late and I stumbled into the Political Rivalry forum by mistake.

I usually stay away from american politics and I abhor rivalry

I did read your OP and struggled with the "right wingers","right wingers","right wingers" rant,

but I still read it.

What do you want for nothing?

Freedom?

Tfw.

edit on 28/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Freedom isn't given, it's taken.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Yes, I want freedom for free.

I want people to be able to marry who they love.

I want people to speak the language they choose.

I want people to believe in the god they choose.

I don't care if I see a copy of the ten commandments on a courthouse step, or a manger scene in a public park. It doesn't bother me.

I want freedom for women to control their own bodies without the government legislating morality.

Freedom is free, it's the very definition of the word.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Those are fine and honorable moral standards of freedom to have.

If you were also corrupt and loved money, you could become a politician.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Apologies. I wasn't aware that you were only endorsing freedom and liberty for those who have the same ideology as you.

My bad.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Apologies. I wasn't aware that you were only endorsing freedom and liberty for those who have the same ideology as you.

Why should I endorse the freedoms wanted by the far Right? They don't appear to want freedom at all.

The far right endorses gun violence against the people and elected officials of this nation.

The far right opposes freedoms for same sex couples to marry.

The far right opposes Muslims living in this country to worship in peace.

The far right opposes women having control over their own bodies.

The far right opposes immigrants of hispanic origin and automatically feels that anyone who is from south of the border is automatically an illegal alien. They in fact support a fascist sheriff who conducts unconstitutional raids on hispanic communities and denies basic civil liberties for people of hispanic origin.

This isn't an ideology I can support or endorse. It's not freedom, it's fascism.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join