It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Radiation epidemic” killing So. California sea lions?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
As the sea lion deaths continue, surprisingly they seem not to have ruled out Fukushima radiation. This mornings Fox News mentioned it again as a possibility and that if the sea lions are dying in large numbers and do eat the same sea food as humans, humans may also be affected.

Living on the West Coast this concerns me a lot!

What would it mean to US here if it is radiation from Fukushima causing these deaths?

enenews.com... aiichi

CBS News reported last week: ”They’re very sick,” said Keith Matassa, who runs the Pacific Marine Mammal Center in Laguna Beach. His team is nursing 115 sea lions back to health. “A normal sea lion at this age — 8 to 9 months old — should be around 60, 70 pounds,” said Matassa. “We’re seeing them come into our center at 20 to 25 pounds, and really they look like walking skeletons.”

www.washingtonsblog.com...

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Radiation from Japan’s nuclear disaster is being looked at as one possible cause for what some experts are declaring an “unusual mortality event” after hundreds of ailing sea lion pups washed ashore in Southern California.

losangeles.cbslocal.com...

In march 2013 there was this:But is seems to me unlikely to be the cause of the coninued deaths.

Coastal Stench May By Byproduct Of Large Release Of Methane March 3, 2013 12:54 PM

losangeles.cbslocal.com...

Dead sea lions washing on shore in California appear to have died from radiation poisoning Monday, April 15, 2013 by: PF Louis Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

An unusual surge of stranded dying and dead sea lions (seals) have littered Southern California beaches from Santa Barbara to San Diego since earlier this year. Most of the area newspapers and media outlets have been alarmingly reporting this unusual phenomenon. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

The fact that the authorities are even mentioning the possibility of radiation as the cause is very troubling!

edit on 28-4-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This sea lion problem is very disturbing. I wish they would find the cause. Sea lions are such friendly animals usually. I bet a lot of the people seeing these animals sick on the beach feel so bad for them. I would be hauling them home to try to help them, even though it is against the law.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

In the big-fish-eats-little-fish way of the ocean, the radioactive contamination eventually gets passed up the food chain, concentrating in fats which get consumed and stored, until the isotopes finally come to rest in the very largest creature at the top of the food chain

My husbands family have fresh seafood, fish, crab, clams, oysters for sell and they have a seafood restaurant.

if they are proposing the radiation possibility that has been mentioned for quit sometime now, shouldn't we all worry? we had a 20 ft boat come in a few weeks back from the Japan Tsunami, doesn't that mean the currents are coming in that can carry radiation?

These are some of my questions, sine they ARE saying scientists are looking at that as a possible cause.

Huge die-offs of sardines were also reported in the Chiba area of Japan after Fukushima. Moreover, the Vancouver Sun reported in January 2012 that 94 per cent of the anchovies and 92 per cent of the sardines sold by the Japanese to Canada contained radioactive cesium. Some of the fish were caught in Japanese coastal waters; but others were made many hundreds of miles away in the open ocean.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Moreover, radiation from Fukushima was directly deposited into the kelp off the Western coast of North America … especially in Southern California. Fish that eat the kelp have also gotten exposed to the radiation … as have the animals that eat those fish. NOAA reports:

Sea lions … feed on the fish that live in kelp forests.

Then we have the Alaskan animals with sores and losing fur.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

We actually need a tiny bit of radiation to be healthy. It is a natural thing. When levels in the body get too high it becomes troublesome. I studied radon for a while and too little radon makes people have health issues worse than too much radon. Seems that we need a certain amount to healthy.

I wouldn't be too worried, what can we do about it now anyway. There are a lot of variables. Lowering consumption of bananas may help as they often contain a little bit of radioactivity to them because of their potassium levels. Same with potatoes that are grown in soils containing radioactivity. Potatoes radiation levels are historically lower than that of bananas though. My suggestion would be to lower consumption of bananas till levels go down in the ocean. Fish is good for you if eaten in moderation.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
First thing after Fucushima the province of BC closed down the west coast rad monitoring to save money.
I'll bet that they aren't that expensive to monitor...
but the lawsuits to GE and tepco would be

www.abovetopsecret.com...

rainwater 10,000 times the limit over???!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
First thing after Fucushima the province of BC closed down the west coast rad monitoring to save money.

That way there is no evidence that concerned people can use to verify their concerns. It is a normal policy used by many governments.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

If the junk and boats are already hitting our shore would the water from there not be already also? I am confused about this or is it because the currents carrying the junk were not as contaminated as what will be coming later?

TMIT says that seawater which is itself radioactive may begin hitting the West Coast within 5 years.

In 10 years, peak radioactive cesium levels off of the West Coast of North America could be 10 times higher than at the coast of Japan.ext

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
S^F

Why are 100s of baby sea lions washing up emaciated, starving?

Is their food & much of the whole ecosystem being poisoned?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tropic

Thank you for the video, it is heart breaking.
I feel worried about seafood, but also I see children playing in the water and I wish they knew the cause. What should be avoided.
I hope they have answers soon, but find it odd that they mention radiation as a possibility months ago, if it were the cause shouldn't they know by testing the animals by now, and if it were, would they say so considering the whop to the tourist economy that all coasts rely on.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

We've polluted the oceans so much for so long it's hard to believe the support life at all.
I doubt they tell us the truth of their die off any way, but I suspect we are the cause.

SnF
edit on 28-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
s&f for sharing this..
This is really heartbreaking.. I had no idea, never even heard of the issues with the sea lions. I stopped eating seafood (even though it's a favorite as i'm in Vancouver) because I never trusted the waters after the spill as well as all of the other oil spills and toxins leaking into our beautiful ocean..
I shared this article with a few friends in hopes it gets passed along and more attention is brought in aid of these wonderful creatures

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
This sea lion problem is very disturbing. I wish they would find the cause. Sea lions are such friendly animals usually. I bet a lot of the people seeing these animals sick on the beach feel so bad for them. I would be hauling them home to try to help them, even though it is against the law.

Fukushima is the number one reason, with the possibility of methane or even plate related emissions.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The real scary thing is that we don't know how much worse it will get.

How bad the situation is at Fukushima is anyones guess, possibly even for the people with the most knowledge.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
My guess is radiation, and you probably won't ever get any "authority" to admit it. This will have to be done by the people, independently, and then challenge the system to prove them wrong, which they will try their best.

Here is a post I made awhile back which is very relevant. It has to do with similarities in a Fuku cow farm and their appearances compared with these seals/sea lions.

Here is a comment I made in another radiation related thread and feel it is 100% relevant to be here as well. And it took me a bit of time to make =b
--
I just wanted to point out the striking similarities between the cows in Fukushima and the "strange" sickness recently found to be affecting seals in Alaska and perhaps California as well. This is more like a followup post to the previous one.

First up, cows near the reactor explosion of Fukushima, about 14 kilometers away, image credit from the site below:

NuclearHistory - Fukushima Now Dateline SBS TV Australia 5 March 2013 - Spot the Beta Burns

I picked some of the images to let the cattle rancher/farmer speak for himself about the "Fukushima syndrome". After that, I posted comparison images of seals to show the similarities.

A quote from the show by the nearby farmer:

"Since the accident, I've had 15 or 16 whole-body scans. I was worried about the levels I'd been exposed to. I've had other health checks, quite thorough ones. They all came back ok.

Let that sink in.

Now for the seals being recently found in Alaska (and here) and even around California:

Do you see any similarities? Any patches of hair missing or other open wounds? Maybe beta burns?

Keep in mind the following quote from the previously linked source:

Preliminary tests to determine whether exposure from the 2011 Fukushima nuclear plant accident in Japan have also not revealed any answers. More tests on tissue samples for radionuclides associated with the event are being conducted, but those done so far have not yielded any direct connection.

Opinions on this anyone? I have my own, we're being lied to.. again.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I said give it 5 - 10 years before the full effects on Humans take hold.

I still say it.

There are deniers here on ATS but the fact and evidence speaks volumes.

If you want any chance of beating this you need to move south of the equator.

Namaste and best of luck.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
We are having a lot of problems here in Australia with our sea life also. All kinds of fancy reasons are given, algie blooms and the latest being a new rare virus.

Rare virus blamed for South Australian dolphin deaths

The "viruses" have previously caused the deaths of juvenile dolphins in Queensland, northern NSW and Western Australia as well as overseas. Dr Woolford said a closely related virus can affect other animals including sea lions, seals and whales.

I wonder what the hell is happening?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Certainly looks like the ones in Alaska!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
We are having a lot of problems here in Australia with our sea life also. All kinds of fancy reasons are given, algie blooms and the latest being a new rare virus.

Rare virus blamed for South Australian dolphin deaths

The "viruses" have previously caused the deaths of juvenile dolphins in Queensland, northern NSW and Western Australia as well as overseas. Dr Woolford said a closely related virus can affect other animals including sea lions, seals and whales.

I wonder what the hell is happening?

Well I would think they would test for this virus right off here in CA then, so yes I wonder what is really going on!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Thats the calm before the storm. That nasty crap is about to hit cali, IMO. I have my moms family in washington and they will be affected too. Im sayin that crap is comin into california. and it might get worse. God bless all that are affected.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join