It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What IF an Alien Species Were Discovered 5 Lightyears Away?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
As I'm reading these responses all I'm thinking about is how maybe this could be what an advanced alien species is doing with us right now...observing...and deciding when to initiate contact. Pretty cool stuff.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Don't send any liberals on this mission. They'd bring as many back as possible, teach them about welfare and global warming, then convince them to vote democrat. Before you know it, the "gang of eight" will regulate interplanetary immigration...

Until we figure out how to take care of our planet, I don't think we should be allowed to mess with others....

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well, there are lot of ways this could play out. For Trekies, the prime directive. That's a no brainier. But I think there would definitely be some rogue group that would establish themselves as Gods. Of course they would laser cut gigantic stones and levitate them into place forming perfect giant structures only to leave without a trace. Could be a hoot.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I say we follow the Protheans lead. Covertly observe them until they are "ready", and then extend an offer to join the empire. If they resist, they will be crushed, if they accept they will be assimilated and uplifted into the empire to join in the "Metacon war".

edit on 29-4-2013 by Javik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Would I find the daughters of Adeena attractive?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toxicsurf

Would I find the daughters of Adeena attractive?

A very good question, in fact. Let's assume they would have a certain 'appeal' ... would it influence the way we act during the mission?!
edit on 29-4-2013 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Could this be happening with us? To an extent. But they have obviously chosen already to contact us. It is our darned Governments that are keeping it from happening.

Also, we already do this here on Earth with tribal people in the Amazon and elsewhere. We have strict non intervention policies in place except for in situations when they need our help with medicines and whatnot. Sounds awfully familiar.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm not sure that it would be a public/government entity that would be the lead for interaction with such a planet. Or that that there would be an governmental entity that would have any control over a private/commercial effort operating a specified distance from Earth. Or which will be more likely to have the technology that is capable of such missions in the future.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

Could this be happening with us? To an extent. But they have obviously chosen already to contact us. It is our darned Governments that are keeping it from happening.

Yes, why not? I think they could be here (or at least their technology, drones etc.) without us directly noticing their presence.

Also, we already do this here on Earth with tribal people in the Amazon and elsewhere. We have strict non intervention policies in place except for in situations when they need our help with medicines and whatnot. Sounds awfully familiar.

As you said, I also think interaction would be strictly regulated and I don't know whether or not open contact would be desired (or under which circumstances/conditions). As many others mentioned before: I think observation would be on top of the list of priorities ...

In the OP, I mentioned that the story is roughly based on a movie which is again based on a sci-fi novel from 1964. And I think that looking at this from the other side (us discovering an inferior alien species) shows the sheer complexity of the whole situation. I don't think there are easy answers in this regard. But it certainly inspired me to consider some arguments as to why an interaction between them and us might be 'tricky'.

Thanks again for your comments and I'll certainly continue watching this thread ...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I say we wipe out their overlords.
In the process making them think we are some kind of deity. We tell them about corrupt leaders and we let them know if this ever happens again we will be back to punish the offenders.
Kinda makes you wish there was some highly intelligent life form out there that could see our problem and deal with it for us.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
As has already been said here: "this could be happening with us" at a certain extent.

I will further add: That may be the rules of engagement respected by several visitors, but not all!
Some visitors are actually engaging mankind all over the world.
They choose to show off on whatever place/time and seem to deliberately seek contact with some individuals. Some seem to be trying to influence events or the life of those specific humans they seem to pay close attention.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
This reminds of a comic book story Robohunter from british 2000AD magazine i read as kid. The find this beautiful planet in deep space and send a spacecraft there with robots who will land on the planet and prepared it for colonisation by humans. Robots are sent because the technology wont exist to send humans there for another hundred years, and by that time the robots will have prepared the a habitable living place for the first colonists. The plan actually works well, many years later the technology becomes available to send the colonists which they do, and who dont report back and are never heard from again. Then they send crack space troops there who likewise are never heard of again. Heres some openning pages of the comic story.

edit on 30-4-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
This reminds of a comic book story Robohunter from british 2000AD magazine i read as kid. The find this beautiful planet in deep space and send a spacecraft there with robots who will land on the planet and prepared it for colonisation by humans. Robots are sent because the technology wont exist to send humans there for another hundred years, and by that time the robots will have prepared the a habitable living place for the first colonists. The plan actually works well, many years later the technology becomes available to send the colonists which they do, and who dont report back and are never heard from again. Then they send crack space troops there who likewise are never heard of again. Heres some openning pages of the comic story.

edit on 30-4-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

That brings back memories.

Might have to go to the 2000AD site and get my credit card out :-)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Based on our own world history, We would likely send them a shipment of disease ridden blankets, then take their planet.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I say we keep the old space faring traditions of trolling alive. We abduct them randomly at night, mutilate their livestock, and appear occasionally in their skies with our ships looking like blurry hubcaps. We can also leave "implants" inside of them of which they will think are advanced alien tracking devices, but are in fact just crusty boogers.

Also crop circles never hurt anyone.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Haha!
Yeah, and other outlandish thingslike, fly our massive aircraft over and around Naval Battleships in plain view of hundreds of people only to take off at speeds of over 1,000 mph never to be seen again. Haha!

Ultimate Troll!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Good one wingsfan.

Or maybe we just scare them at night on their own bedrooms trolling around with a hooded outfit!
It could be like Halloween whenever we want.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I think alot the early stories in 2000AD which like this one are free on the net. I did a google search 2000AD robo hunter. The comic by 1990 had become, overtaken by the idea of having greater artwork but crappier stories.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan. We can also leave "implants" inside of them of which they will think are advanced alien tracking devices, but are in fact just crusty boogers.

I wasn't sure what this thing was this morning...but now it makes sense. Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join