It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six degrees of separation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
In an article from the Guardian Sunday 3 August 2008 www.guardian.co.uk...

After checking 30 billion electronic messages, Microsoft researchers say the theory stands up.

In a world of 6.6 billion people, it does seem hard to believe. The theory of six degrees of separation contends that, because we are all linked by chains of acquaintance, you are just six introductions away from any other person on the planet.

But yesterday researchers announced the theory was right - nearly. By studying billions of electronic messages, they worked out that any two strangers are, on average, distanced by precisely 6.6 degrees of separation. In other words, putting fractions to one side, you are linked by a string of seven or fewer acquaintances to Madonna, the Dalai Lama and the Queen.

This being the case there SHOULD be people on ATS that have a connection to, or personally know someone that was affected by the recent events in Boston. Are there?

If there aren't doesn't that mean that everyone on this site is a member of some weird statistical anomaly?

Just something I've been musing about over the last few days.
edit on 28-4-2013 by creatives because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Personaly I find the theory total junk, depending on how convoluted you want to get you can find a connection anywhere with anyone.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Sounds more like 6 degrees of absolute bs.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Yes, but that is my point.
I haven't seen any posts on ATS from people that can say, 'my ....' was involved or affected by these events.

And as much as you may not agree, the mathematics says that there should be quite a few.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
6 degrees of separation? I went out with a girl in 2001/2002, at the time I was a volunteer at a historic rail preservation group, I took her there to show her around one day, whilst there she met the wife of one of the guys I worked with there, they got talking, as it turned out, the wife, who had been married previously, had lived next door to my ex's parents and younger brother in 1980/81, she told of a story where the little boy next door had been playing with their dog through the fence and had pulled it's legs through the fence, injuring it - that was my ex's brother, bare in mind they lived over 100km from where we lived 22 years later, which makes it even more remarkable.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by creatives

Sneaky,
but it is true.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I'm starting to get the feeling that I should have made this post a little later in the day.
I guess everyone in the US is still wrapped up nice and warm in bed.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by creatives
reply to post by Tuttle

I haven't seen any posts on ATS from people that can say, 'my ....' was involved or affected by these events.

And as much as you may not agree, the mathematics says that there should be quite a few.

It doesn't have to be a direct relative or even someone you're aware that you're linked to in some way, and the theory is that this person is up to 6 steps away. It sounds small but it's actually a huge jump that covers a lot of people, it's quite logical.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by creatives
reply to post by Tuttle

It doesn't have to be a direct relative or even someone you're aware that you're linked to in some way, and the theory is that this person is up to 6 steps away. It sounds small but it's actually a huge jump that covers a lot of people, it's quite logical.

Thanks for clarifying that point for me.
I find it quite perplexing that no one on ATS has posted any direct connection.
It's looking more and more like a staged event as time goes on.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I know a guy who plays golf with tiger woods sometimes, he's nobody famous, just rich.

So i'm only 2 steps away from a famous guy who i'll never meet on the other side of the planet. He knows all the famous people, so i'm 3 or 4 steps away from all the famous people. woohoo.

*shrug*

This is an old theory, and i'm not surprised it's been looked at again, and re-established.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
A friend of mine told me that she knows (grew up on the same street with) one of the injured in Boston who is still in critical condition in the hospital; they are still trying to save his leg.
So there's your degrees of separation right there.
edit on 28-4-2013 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

Finally, we have someone.
Statistically speaking there should be a LOT more.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
That may hold true for the connections of people using the internet where connections are frequently many, but I doubt that it holds true with the few billions that are not internet connected. For example, how many Chinese, internet connected and not, are 6.6 degrees away from this old man in central Texas?

Frankly, I suspect that MS, Gates, in particular, has anterior motives at play in this study.

edit on 28-4-2013 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Actually the 6.6 degrees adds a lot of people (that point-six of a degree is huge in terms of linkage). Does the 6.6 degrees count if one of your links is dead (i.e. they can't introduce me to Natalie Portman anymore), or does the "degrees" count in past-time as well?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Why are SO MANY people missing the point of this post?
Maybe I should have put Boston in the title.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I know one person who went to school with a woman who lost a leg in the bombings. Does that count?

I know many, many people who live in Boston and been otherwise affected by the bombings.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
A friend of mine told me that she knows (grew up on the same street with) one of the injured in Boston who is still in critical condition in the hospital; they are still trying to save his leg.
So there's your degrees of separation right there.

I hope that he makes a full recovery.

To the OP: Just because the 6 degrees of separation may be true, it doesn't mean that people may be aware that they may know a friend of a friend who was in Boston. Technically, if you go 6 degrees of separation, it could be an acquaintance of an acquaintance of an acquaintance of an acquaintance of an acquaintance of an acquaintance and so the knowing of that link would be most likely unknown. And yes, I lost count typing that out but sometimes, laying out what 6 degrees of separation actually looks like shows the point of why more ATS may not know people directly involved in the Boston bombings.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

WhiteAlice, I take your point.

I just find it quite surprising that on a forum that is predominately populated by users in the US that there haven't been more first, second, or third hand accounts of these events.

As I said in the original post it was something that I had been musing about.
Thanks for the feedback.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by creatives

Well, I look at it this way. If I had just been victim to an intensely traumatic experience, I wouldn't talk about it here either. It'd be too sickening and infuriating. I had a friend who was present at the mall shooting last December and in Macy's no less--witnessed the people getting shot there. He's very loathe to talk about his experience even in private because it was very traumatizing to him and that was nothing compared to Boston in terms of casualties. I also knew of three other friends who also had relatives present for that shooting but never had any contact with those individuals. When I saw people calling that event fake and a "false flag", I was all over it for my friend's sake because he was, in fact, traumatized. In contrast, my best friend was cousins with the Lanzas and Nancy and Adam are most certainly dead. I didn't share that tidbit with anyone publicly because I had nothing illuminating to offer about the incident through that connection other than the obvious--that they were dead. How's that for a grim small world?

You've got two people who know people injured at the Boston bombings on this thread that spoke up. Whether they post on the threads that imply that it was staged, I do not know. However, if they didn't, I could totally understand why because you start reading it and you wonder "what's the point?" for a whole variety of reasons.

new topics

top topics

join