Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Sea Lion Strandings Climb, Scientists Still Stumped

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
In this thread i really only have one question.
What kind of oceanographic or environmental phenomenon

biologists think an unseen oceanographic or environmental phenomenon is likely cutting the sea lion pups' supply of food, much like El NiƱo would.

To me it's clear that something is changing in the sea around the US and South America, with the constant stream of articles about dead or animals in trouble.

Source

Scientists still don't know why nearly 1,300 sickly sea lions have beached themselves on the shores of southern California since the beginning of the year. However, they think some weird oceanic phenomenon may be blocking off the sea lion pups' source of food, scientists reported today (April 17).

Posible answear, but not confirmed.

Toxic algae blooms and infectious disease outbreaks also can trigger mass pup strandings. Researchers don't have evidence that either of those factors are contributing to the problem this year, but scientists are still waiting to see if tests on blood and tissue samples turn up bacterial, viral and other infectious agents or radioactive traces.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I think they are showing up for the same reason why the dolphins are weirded out this year. Seismic activity and volcanic activity in the Pacific Ocean closer to the coast is messing with the seasonal fish schools.

Not too long ago seals would be captured and skinned, culling their numbers. I don't see the sympathy in putting them in seal jails and letting them remain confused about where to get a meal. These are the ones that under natural circumstances would not make it. Cute as they are and with respect for all life, why do they get to be hand fed while their surviving brothers and sisters, and more notably, parents, are making it without human support?

Maybe they all have some sort of genetic defect that makes them unfit for collecting food in their habitat.

The rotten seaweed, or the blooms, may be the case this time around, and the budget is tight for taking water samples so the scientists are without a logical answer. They can guess; sometimes a guess is all you need, unless you want to take a gamble and take a pet psychic to a seal to communicate telepathically with them.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
my suspicions lay with the corexit used to clean the gulf spill
and as more information comes out regarding the effects of corexit on living organisms i find those suspicions to be more and more well founded
that may not in fact be the case but i think there is ample enough evidence that the possibility should be explored more deeply than it has been

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

s/f OP

There could be numerous reasons for this.. And it would not surprise me if it was not just 'weird oceanographic or environmental phenomenon' that is behind the cause of the sea lion strandings... I think that all the human activity in the oceans around us does not help. It could be a multitude of factors combined that is just messing the marine mammals up big time..

It is very saddening to see all these beautiful creatures in trouble. Especially the whales and dolphins. Methinks these are just signs showing us that the planet in general is not happy...

Would be interesting to see what updates come out and whether they do find a specific reason for the strandings..

new topics

join