It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane Outbreak Alert!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

That when the temp rises ( after we leave a iceage ) causes the iced methane to thaw and excelerate climate change? Sorry to capitalize but IT IS A NATURAL CYCLE!!!!!

I agree. I tell ya, Rocky, it really sucks to be curious about this stuff, but too chronically tired to do the research. So, I have to ask if you know this: Are there layers in the earth's soil that show massive, periodical methane releases throughout the planet's history? I would venture to say yes, but I really don't know. Even though there are 7 billion of us, I still can't fathom how we could possibly affect the entire planet. I say this because I can't get past the idea that trillions of aquatic species have been pooping in the ocean for 300 billion years and the ocean still hasn't become a giant turd. So, how can our burning of fossil fuels cause so much damage in, what?, a few thousand years?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

So then what...with no snowfall where you're at, and I'm assuming you've had it before...are we on the verge of mini ice age or are we warming? Do you think there's nothing to worry about with the methane release? He laid out temperature records and snowfall records which I think show extremes one way or the other right now and I posted an article that shows why unusual warm air over Greenland may be the cause of some of this.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
...So then what...with no snowfall where you're at, and I'm assuming you've had it before...are we on the verge of mini ice age or are we warming? Do you think there's nothing to worry about with the methane release? He laid out temperature records and snowfall records which I think show extremes one way or the other right now and I posted an article that shows why unusual warm air over Greenland may be the cause of some of this.

Oh Dad...
Always trying to make me look bad in front of my friends.
No - we don't get snow here (very often...or often enough for my liking).
As I said - thanks for the data. Last six weeks - a lot of record lows (sounds like "Day After Tomorrow")...and a lot of record highs (sounds like where I am)...
I don't know about whether we're entering a mini ice age, or new tropical paradise, or...a meteor shower.
You give me a lot to consider.
I've heard that we've been passing through the center of the galactic plane...lately... Wonder if that could have any influence on "pulling out" the methane (and maybe some other gases/etc that we haven't been concerned about)?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Man you slay me sometimes when your posts.

I still can't fathom how we could possibly affect the entire planet. I say this because I can't get past the idea that trillions of aquatic species have been pooping in the ocean for 300 billion years and the ocean still hasn't become a giant turd

But your point still gets across.

BTW it's Trillions of trillions of aquatic species, and 4 billion years put your point is very valid. ( that was for the people that would have pointed it out.)
edit on 27-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
There's no Mystery here as to what is causing this.

THE OCEANS WARMED UP!

Unplug your freezer. What happens.

There are 3 areas of major concern that harbor huge fields of this Methane among others.

One is by Japan. Another in Siberia. The other is parked off the East Coast. Louisianna Sinkhole ring a Bell!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I agree with McGilicutty we did not cause this, it would have happened anyway. The earth is doing strange things. I can’t even begin to list all the times a scientist has said ‘we’ve never seen this before’.

I am leaning towards the fact that we are experiencing changes that no one who is on this planet has ever seen before. Our records do not go back far enough to give us comfort in the fact that maybe; just maybe we are all on the precipice of changes that will usher in a new civilization after we have disappeared.

I believe that we are not the first civilization to have advanced abilities and that all traces of those were scrubbed from the earth in a cataclysm of disaster that we are unable to accept or comprehend as it world be unacceptable in our psyche. It is easier to pretend that earth is stable, has been here and will always be here as we know it.

It is not like we would be the first to see a catastrophe of proportions that would make even the most prepared prepper succumb to it.

I do believe that the disaster in the gulf, the earthquake in Japan the earthquake in Sumatra had a devastating effect on this planet. The oil spill has had unimaginable effects on the Gulf Stream and the world oceans, they are all connected, it is one big conveyor belt, not just the gulf, how can we be fed the story that the gulf has recovered, everything is fine when there is death and destruction of sea life being reported every day. What about the volcanoes coming to life after being dormant for decades or millennium, could this be heating up the oceans?

The earthquakes tilted the earths axis, but not enough to make a difference to us they say. Well I see changes, can’t provide pictures because I lost everything when my computer died, but I see differences in where the sun sets and rises.

Speaking of the sun, what is up with the sun, we are supposed to be in a solar max, but of course NASA has no explanation of what is going on, supposed to be a double peak cycle. Come on, how come the sun spews out flares and CME’s once the sunspot that is supposed to be very active, (but isn’t; isn't that where our heat originates?) is rotated out of view.

I think there is more going on here then we are expected to believe and that everything is connected and if you disregard any piece of the puzzle it can never be finished and we will never understand what it is supposed to reveal.

Global Warming is a tax grab, nothing more, nothing less and it is going to rob all of us, we may need what little money we have to heat our homes to survive, can’t live in the northern climates without heat.

What does the methane release mean for our oxygen, that is the question. We can’t live without that. Just because it is warming in some regions, does that justify the extreme cold found in others? I wish someone would look at the whole picture, just once.

edit on 27-4-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreshAirGirl
There's no Mystery here as to what is causing this.

THE OCEANS WARMED UP!

Unplug your freezer. What happens.

There are 3 areas of major concern that harbor huge fields of this Methane among others.

One is by Japan. Another in Siberia. The other is parked off the East Coast. Louisianna Sinkhole ring a Bell!

Now from your " research" what was the cause?

Us coming out of a iceage BTW fact.

Or co2 levels which have yet to be proven?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

"Pulling out the methane"

I never thought of it in those terms. Nicely put. The 2007 global methane release must have been "Pulled" out, and it's been pulling ever since (whatever's doing the pulling.)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by WanDash

"Pulling out the methane"

I never thought of it in those terms. Nicely put. The 2007 global methane release must have been "Pulled" out, and it's been pulling ever since (whatever's doing the pulling.)

I feel much better now.
It's just a thought...with no basis whatsoever in reality...but, that's also how I discovered Gravity.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Everything. Not just one thing. Humans have made things worse. Natural cycle yes but add to that. BP Oil Spill that changed the North Atlantic Current. Even stalled it for a while. The expanding Earth Theory. That the planet is heating up from the inside out which there is alot of data for. So then the Volcano's start to act up and there have been many underwater ones as of late that have been coming to life and venting. The upper level Jet Streams have been to high or to low. Solar Activity Also.

Another thing. The Weather people always used La Nina or El Nino to predict out weather. I have not heard those two words to describe our weather since last year. Do we not have La or El anymore...?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Before i am asked to pay carbon credits, i will point out that Corexit likely reduces the surface tension of water as well as oil. Thus, with all the Corexit dumped a couple of years back, it wouldn't surprise me if more methane weren't able to surface due to this decreased surface tension.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FreshAirGirl

The expanding Earth Theory. That the planet is heating up from the inside out which there is alot of data for. So then the Volcano's start to act up and there have been many underwater ones as of late that have been coming to life and venting. The upper level Jet Streams have been to high or to low. Solar Activity Also.

And your point is ??????

I guess man caused all of this ?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by jiggerj

I still can't fathom how we could possibly affect the entire planet. I say this because I can't get past the idea that trillions of aquatic species have been pooping in the ocean for 300 billion years and the ocean still hasn't become a giant turd

BTW it's Trillions of trillions of aquatic species, and 4 billion years put your point is very valid. ( that was for the people that would have pointed it out.)

Well, here's another point: Imagine a time before man (before firefighters) when all of the continents were big green forests. Lightning strikes. The forests burn. WHOLE continents burn! And yet, the ice caps didn't suddenly vanish in a meltdown. No great methane release.

Compared to continental forest fires, man's total output of pollution around the entire planet has to be the equivalent of a mosquito peeing in the ocean.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by jiggerj

Well, here's another point: Imagine a time before man (before firefighters) when all of the continents were big green forests. Lightning strikes. The forests burn. WHOLE continents burn! And yet, the ice caps didn't suddenly vanish in a meltdown. No great methane release.

Compared to continental forest fires, man's total output of pollution around the entire planet has to be the equivalent of a mosquito peeing in the ocean.

I agree with you 100%.

I have made that same remark, only to be met by ridicule.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
This AMEG group frightens me a little.They a calling for the governments to cool the Arctic.

Through geo-engineering.Hmm,what is another word for that?

It is imperative that Governments collaborate and adopt a plan of action for cooling the Arctic in order to halt the retreat of the Arctic sea ice and therefore slow the release of methane being emitted from the continental shelves. A variety of means of cooling the Arctic are available, some of which may be classed as geo-engineering. Governments should support the moratorium on drilling in the Arctic as urged by the UK Environment Audit Committee in their report “Protecting the Arctic” (September 2012).

www.ameg.me...

Am I alone in seeing this as hyper-inflated sensationalism?

Peace,
K

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The Permian–Triassic extinction event which is the greatest extinction event we know of is said to have been caused by methane clathrate release. Scary stuff man, scary!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
This AMEG group frightens me a little.They a calling for the governments to cool the Arctic.

Through geo-engineering.Hmm,what is another word for that?

It is imperative that Governments collaborate and adopt a plan of action for cooling the Arctic in order to halt the retreat of the Arctic sea ice and therefore slow the release of methane being emitted from the continental shelves. A variety of means of cooling the Arctic are available, some of which may be classed as geo-engineering. Governments should support the moratorium on drilling in the Arctic as urged by the UK Environment Audit Committee in their report “Protecting the Arctic” (September 2012).

www.ameg.me...

Am I alone in seeing this as hyper-inflated sensationalism?

Peace,
K

Whatever you wanna call it, there's just too much evidence of rising temps, rising sea levels, melting ice and permafrost, rising water temps...not to mention all the things there isn't a whole lot of evidence of but seem to be rising nonetheless, including sinkholes, animal die-offs, disease outbreaks, booms, explosions, freak and super-charged weather events, etc....

I'll agree with you though, whenever man gets a bright idea and starts messing with nature...I get nervous.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Add it up again....
Rez, if the temperatures are colder above the suface,where CAN the extra heat come from that is making the sea water warmer? Id suggest a hotter earth core.................or volcanic action below the oceans surface...
3/4 of our planet is under water so there could be some unetected as yet causes........
The very earth could be becomming more unstable perhaps a precursor to an expansion or shape change of some kind...
On a cosmic scale we are ignorant as to the life of planets and what their various propensities may be.
Can somebody tell us what the effect of catching this stuff and using it for fuel would be?how about burning it off when it surfaces or perhaps pools....
How about we mine the oceans for it and store it or figure out how to filter the atoms out of the atmosphere
Ths could be the answer to two crises at once if we got on top of the technolgy for harvesting the stuff.
Methane could produce electricity or heat as well as transport fuel.
so we can feed the methane into jet intakes as they fly and whatever else we can do.
edit on 28-4-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

How about huge methane harvester ships.
They could go on station in known productive waters, and cast their pickup gear into the ocean....grabbing all the bubbles of methane that arise with special technology....may they will deploy some kind of tree root type system that will be capable of embedding itself into the ocean floor and collecting the methane to a central pick up point beneath the sea....the ships could drop by and unload the methane bladder at intervals....

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Do you have anything to back up those claims? As we know though tree absorb CO2. So when there was nothing but trees. what was not burning (and I seriously doubt there would ever have been a whole continent on fire!) would suck up the Co2. Now we're cutting down all the tree,s and burning more fossil fuels. More Co2, less stuff to absorb it. Out of balance in nature is still out of balance.

Now, the problem we have is that the permafrost in Siberia is melting. And the Mammoth crap underneath is kicking out methane. It only takes a little rise in temp, to start the chain reaction. This is a very simple comcept

Please take a look at Venus, and you will see what runaway global warming does.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarsInDust

You know as much as I would love to believe your "This is just a natural cycle" thing, I am having to pause and think about it. After all, we are having some very disturbing things happening in the waters that are surrounding us. Like massive deaths of sea animals. I really think the least we can do is to be open minded about this situation, and monitor it. There could actually be something real going on here.

Even if i live to be a million i'll never understand the mindset of these unqualified, self appointed experts who like to spout off on the internet about how its a natural cycle and not affected by the action of man.

Whether it is, or is not, is not a matter for them - that is for the scientific community. What these people should be considering is what the measurements are telling us, what effects it may have.

It is probably time we all started to blank those climate-change trolls who add nothing to the discussion and potentially are doing serious harm by preventing the discussion moving on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join