It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane Outbreak Alert!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
High level climate scientists that make up the group AMEG, Arctic Methane Emergency Group, are now sounding the alarm that there is plenty of evidence of runaway climate change and the main culprit is methane.

Here is a quote from the group's assessment:

Could the World be in Imminent Danger and Nobody is Telling? Uniquely and fearlessly AMEG has studied key non-linear trends in the Earth-human System and reached the stunning conclusion that the planet stands at the edge of abrupt and catastrophic climate change as a result of an unprecedented rate of change in the Arctic.

Methane Outbreak Alert!

This is an article with much of the same information I've already been sharing throughout numerous threads. The source is Dissident Voice and it was published today.

From the article:

Methane (CH4) is over twenty times more powerful, over a 100-year period, per molecule, than is carbon dioxide (CO2). Or, put another way, methane is more effectual than carbon dioxide at absorbing infrared radiation emitted from the earth’s surface and preventing it from escaping into space. Methane, during its first few years upon entering the atmosphere, is 100 times as powerful as an equal weight of CO2.

As it happens, it appears excessive levels of methane are just now starting to seriously impact the Earth’s atmosphere… in a big way!

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, as of February 2013, methane levels in the atmosphere are measured at 1,874 ppb (parts per billion.) This level, in an historical context, is more than twice as high as any time since 400,000 years before the industrial revolution. In the past, methane has ranged between 300-400 ppb during glacial periods and 600-700 ppb during warm interglacial periods.

As I've said before and I still say today, things are happening at an ever-increasing frequency and intensity and it continues today. More and more sinkholes, explosions, disease outbreaks, sky noises, sonic booms and light flashes, fireballs, mysterious deaths and super-charged weather events including blizzards and tornadoes. This summer, I predict, we'll see some pretty intense weather systems as we've already seen as far as snowfall events for this winter. There were 26 winter storms that dropped over a foot of snow across the US. As I said a few months ago, with a warming atmosphere there is more moisture in the air, which will produce more snow or rain in storms. We've definitely seen evidence of that.

More news from the article:

In 2012, expeditionary teams in the Arctic were shocked, and dismayed, to find methane bubbling up from deep ocean sites. “Previous observations have pointed to large methane plumes being released from the seabed in the relatively shallow sea off the northern coast of Siberia, but the latest findings were made far away from land in the deep, open ocean where the surface is usually capped by ice.”

Throughout this article, the author sites more evidence of rising methane levels and he provides his sources. This is an informative article.

Likewise, Russian scientists have spotted methane plumes/bubbles that are more than a kilometer in diameter coming to surface along the East Siberian Arctic Shelf, which is the largest continental shelf in the world. Seventy-five percent (75%) of the sea over the shelf is shallow water, less than 50 metres deep, and consequently more immediately exposed to warming trends.

“The scale and volume of the methane release has astonished the head of the Russian research team who has been surveying the seabed of the East Siberian Arctic Shelf off northern Russia for nearly 20 years.”

Here's a brief descriptive of what's causing this:

The cause of this emerging outbreak of methane, as explained by AMEG, is a horrendous cycle that started 20-30 years ago when Atlantic and Pacific Ocean currents, warmed by greenhouse gases, flowed into the Arctic Ocean. This extra heat into the Arctic Ocean causes declines in the sea ice, and it increases temperatures. As it happens, the extra heat travels into shallow seas along the continental shelf and, over time, the warming also spreads to the deep seabed, destabilizing methane hydrates and free gas trapped over millennia in the permafrost cap. As follows, methane that has been trapped for millions upon millions of years is released into the atmosphere.

The article also states that methane quantities in the continental shelf are so huge that even 1% to 2% release of that methane could easily lead to unstoppable runaway climate change that would be an extinction level event, and as I've already said, many signs indicate this is already happening. Just check out this thread started a little earlier today www.abovetopsecret.com...

On a positive note, over the past four months that I've been following this, there are more and more news articles coming out about it and I think people are starting to take notice. Also, there are many news articles coming out about governments and municipalities that are finding ways to capture methane and use it for energy rather than let it release into the atmosphere, but we'd have a long way to go.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

As I said a few months ago, with a warming atmosphere there is more moisture in the air, which will produce more snow or rain in storms. We've definitely seen evidence of that.

Do you think something like this will make it more common for the upper east coast to see hurricanes / tropical storms more frequently?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
1800 ppb is the same as 1.8 ppm is the same as 0.00018% or 1.8/10,000 of one percent. I just have doubts that changing from 1.6 to 1.8 ppm would really make much difference in atmospheric heat absorption.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I have read about the methane danger before and if it is starting to vent, we are already screwed. Unless someone comes up with a way to burn it off / harvest it for industrial use / stop it from leaking we really will see climate change kick up another gear.
Seems Al Gore was right all along, but he was blaming the wrong gas - carbon dioxide may have contributed a little, but methane will be the one that takes his predictions and turn them inti reality.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ML8715

As I said a few months ago, with a warming atmosphere there is more moisture in the air, which will produce more snow or rain in storms. We've definitely seen evidence of that.

Do you think something like this will make it more common for the upper east coast to see hurricanes / tropical storms more frequently?

Haven't they already seen an uptick in super storms lately? And, yes, I think it will get even worse this summer.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

S&F I'll just call you Rez. ( do you mind? )

I have also brought this up before. It is so hard to debate with someone that watched Loose Change once and that was the end of their research.

How many extinction level events have there been that deposited mass amounts of methane in the ocean ?

That when the temp rises ( after we leave a iceage ) causes the iced methane to thaw and excelerate climate change?

Sorry to capitalize but IT IS A NATURAL CYCLE!!!!!

I will say this once prove me wrong anyone, " man is not the sole cause of global warming!"

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Thanks for kinda updating info on the methane bubbles, to hear that we're getting gases released from such a long long time ago is scary to think about kinda.

I do believe that weather in the u.s will get much worse....I think its already going around the weather change thats coming by next week....snow maybe?

Strange times....
edit on 27-4-2013 by WeBrooklyn because: typo

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

I agree with you somewhat. I think studies show that there has been an increase in methane release over the past 250 years, since the Industrial Age began, but then, in 1997 it leveled off for some reason but abruptly started increasing at an alarming rate in 2007 and this was worldwide, not just in the northern hemisphere. This MIT study from October of 2008 explains it better.

Levels of methane begin to increase again

One surprising feature of this recent growth is that it occurred almost simultaneously at all measurement locations across the globe. However, the majority of methane emissions are in the Northern Hemisphere, and it takes more than one year for gases to be mixed from the Northern Hemisphere to the Southern Hemisphere. Hence, theoretical analysis of the measurements shows that if an increase in emissions is solely responsible, these emissions must have risen by a similar amount in both hemispheres at the same time.

A rise in Northern Hemispheric emissions may be due to the very warm conditions that were observed over Siberia throughout 2007, potentially leading to increased bacterial emissions from wetland areas. However, a potential cause for an increase in Southern Hemispheric emissions is less clear.

So, what caused methane to begin rising again in 2007 and on a worldwide scale, rather than just the northern hemisphere where all most of the emissions exist? Quite a mystery.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I don't blame the Earth at all. She should be throwing a big raspberry at us.

SnF

I guess now we know what that strange noise was everyone was hearing across the globe.
edit on 27-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Sounds like they are getting a lot more statistics on this over the last six months. Trouble is the damage is already done, if we would have been a little more conservative before, this would be milder. I don't think it can be reversed anymore, we have lost the battle and will suffer because of our actions and ignorance in the past. Now what do we do. I would say not rebuilding near any shoreline or river that can overflow is crucial after an event. Why do something you know is risky. Storm shelters on every house would be good. I think planting forests may help. Cut emissions by making things last a long time, illegalize death dating of products.

We are going to still need to somehow tax people to clean up all these messes.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You know as much as I would love to believe your "This is just a natural cycle" thing, I am having to pause and think about it. After all, we are having some very disturbing things happening in the waters that are surrounding us. Like massive deaths of sea animals. I really think the least we can do is to be open minded about this situation, and monitor it. There could actually be something real going on here.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Well here's a article from 2012, while they won't come right out and say it. They are on to it and waiting on more proof.

changing Gulf Stream off the East Coast has destabilized frozen methane deposits trapped under nearly 4,000 square miles of seafloor, scientists reported Wednesday. And since methane is even more potent than carbon dioxide as a global warming gas, the researchers said, any large-scale release could have significant climate impacts.

source

Another

BTW as you know it is so obvious "even a caveman should know it"

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

Like massive deaths of sea animals.

HMMMMM Ocean Methane??????

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
wattsupwiththat.com...

The tally to present for the last 6 weeks

High temperature records: 1214

Low temperature records: 3464

High minimum temperature records: 1957

Low maximum temperature records: 4323

Snowfall records: 2000

There is no corresponding anti-snowfall record.

Warmer ocean temps and records broken as far as low temps across the mainland....Go figure?

S&F thanks for posting hard to figure all this stuff out?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Yes, exactly like ocean methane.

Peace man, this grandma not trying to bring the beast out in anyone. Just saying his material is defiantly worth a look.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

STAR for you !!!!!!

I can agree it is worth a look at. But I refuse to line anyones pockets ( Al GORE remember him he invented the internet ? ) while I look at it !

Here's another look, it baffles me why there is a lack of data after 2007.

edit on 27-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
wattsupwiththat.com...

The tally to present for the last 6 weeks

High temperature records: 1214

Low temperature records: 3464

High minimum temperature records: 1957

Low maximum temperature records: 4323

Snowfall records: 2000

There is no corresponding anti-snowfall record.

Warmer ocean temps and records broken as far as low temps across the mainland....Go figure?

S&F thanks for posting hard to figure all this stuff out?

Here is some info on what caused the extreme cold temperatures and heavy snowfall events recently...

NASA satellite images measure the effects of Greenland Block that stopped spring

This was a rare event of a mass of warm air that parked over Greenland and pushed Arctic air down into North America and Europe extending winter way out into spring.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Oh Rezlooper...take some Beano - it might help.
Reminds me of "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome".
To your knowledge, is the "significant increase" in methane gases in the atmosphere being largely blamed on earth-leaks...? Or, could it have to do with the population increase...and thus, the cattle/swine/and-other farming increases?
Is it possible that the 2007 "jump" could be the result of some threshold being crossed (like a diode)...or membrane being ruptured?
Oh - by the way - your Avatar/picture - looks like my dad.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I am not into lining anyone's pockets either, especially Al Gore, but let's not throw everything into the trash bin, just because we don't like the person who was using it initially for his own greater good. Follow the evidence, where ever it may lead us.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
wattsupwiththat.com...
...The tally to present for the last 6 weeks
...Snowfall records: 2000
...There is no corresponding anti-snowfall record.

I have to take issue with this one - my locale has the anti-snowfall record. It's NONE.
Missed all of it. Sitting here, praying, doin' the dance...and what do we get...NONE.
But - thanks for the data.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join