Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Are opinions needed ? YES

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I have run a successful business for over 20 years. One of the most important things I have found that I believe is one of the keys to success. Is to listen!!!! To clients, workers, management, and opinion. I have found that people who think they are smart, are often narrow minded and set in "their way". Even when they are young.

People on the bottom of the rung often experience things from a completely different angle, and have a real feel of what "the People" are really thinking. It's the "I know more than you opinion of management" that often causes problems in the the field. I have a suggestion box outside my office, and I actually read them and reward employees that help the company.

I also listen to complaints or grievances with a open mind. I look into them and question all parties. because I have found to take sides is to breed contempt.

The corporate attitude is something that gets my goat. I cannot stand how good ideas can be stifled my middle management. Under no circumstance will I take sides on any issue.

Higher education is a great thing and is needed at many levels, I am one of the others, self taught
. That may be the reason that I am able to listen instead of minimize input of others.

I guess my rant is why are people to stupid , and succeed EVERYONES opinion is valuable. Shut up , and listen. Even if your ego has the best of you , you don't know everything !!!!!!

Sorry folks not intended for anyone just venting from Friday.

I hate to let people go!!!

P.S I just read my thread, and hear the question coming. We have had a problem with bad measurements from the field lately. It has effected our turn around on jobs, by having to reorder. A newer employee suggested that a employee I have had for many years be given the task of confirming each days orders, before going to his job GREAT IDEA, A new hire ( family friend blew him off, Then presented the idea to me. The next day (Friday) I check my suggestion box. Low and behold I found the suggestion in the box.

The investigation was easy, I asked the installer if he told anyone his idea. He said yes ( I will use a AKA) Steve.
Steve told me it was his idea. End result, he lied to me, and stoled someone idea.

That don't fly around here!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
As a boss, you don't have a choice and be thankful that it was over something small.

That sort of attitude can destroy a business if it goes too far.

Good on you

Honesty is the only policy.

edit on 27/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: work

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Oh ouch... I'm real sensitive about people stealing credit on ideas claimed for their own...because someone they considered to be a 'lesser person' by seniority or any other factor was the one to come up with it. Obviously, someone didn't expect him to submit the idea through other channels to the Boss directly. Oooops on that one, eh? That sure got your long serving employee jammed up by a situation of his own making if I'm reading your situation correctly here.

My attitude has been simple although it's gotten me into some trouble I could have avoided by just "fibbing a little" (Trucking gives a 1000 opportunities to 'make up' how something happens out here). I've always felt though, if a man will lie on the little things, it shows no character and NO Faith in the idea that honesty will come on anything truly important.

I'm also one of those people who can rarely find a way back to trusting someone once that's been violated and destroyed. I feel for ya OP. It sounds like your in a thoroughly miserable situation you had nothing to do with creating ..Yet, sucks being at the top, huh?

edit on 27-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

Thanks,

It wasn't really all that small though, with new hires. It was around 5% of orders.

I new when I hired the new kid he was pretty sharp, and was planning to keep a eye on him.(Steve) may have cost me money in the future, if I overlooked this guy.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I hate suggestion boxes. They are like traps that catch people. We hope they tell us the truth but really a person doesn't have to, just put a "suggestion" in the box and backstab someone you don't like or in this case catch someone in a lie. They might not have claimed ownership for an idea if the suggestion box didn't exist. It permits us to practice stuff we normally don't do face to face.

And that goes against the idea of facing ones accusers.

You are only as sick as your secrets.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

First of all I said suggestion box, not complaint box.

From your reply you seem to be someone who lives in fear of the truth getting out.

Complaints are handled face to face in my company. I mediate them and hear both sides. Placement or positions have nothing to do with a grievance in front of me. I will validate claims, with other employees, and I get the truth because anyone that works for me knows I am a owner who is fair across the board.

They might not have claimed ownership for an idea if the suggestion box didn't exist.

It's hard to deny ownership, when your idea outdates the other persons by three days.
edit on 27-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Bad word choice

Small was maybe a bad choice of word, but I used up all my good words earlier, sorry.

I know 5% isn't small, I meant I could have been worse.

It's late here in Nowhereland, I think I'll go to bed now.

Sorry for your loss.

Trust is important, as is the trust in one's judgement of people.

Even though you had an inkling of what he was like,

It still hurts when someone lets you down.

Beer

That's why they invented beer.

To soothe disillusioned philosophers' souls....

Cheers.

Tfw.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

Small was maybe a bad choice of word, but I used up all my good words earlier, sorry.

You crack me up .

Thank you for the kind (true) words.

Beers to you good buddy.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
you raise valid points.. however, is it completely inconceivable that 2 people came up with the same idea at roughly the same time?

and i always find that yes honesty is the best policy, so don't jump to conclusions without making SURE that what you suspect actually happened

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I learned a long time ago, that just because someone is new or young does not mean that they are stupid.
And it makes me crazy when I see other section chiefs treating their new guys like they're idiots just because that's the way it has always been done.

I would never claim to be the sharpest bulb in the drawer, but I'm smarter than the average bear, well at least smart enough to listen to other people's ideas regardless of what their position might be. It's been my experience that the best ideas come from the unlikeliest of places.

I'm glad to see others willing to entertain thoughts from the younger crowd as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

The Idea in the suggestion box was 3 days before the idea was but to me. I asked one question, " did you tell anyone this idea". The answer was the name of the person that gave me the idea 3 days later. I am positive, I would never let anyone go lightly.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

fair enough.. in that case i'd probably be in favour of public shaming

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

First of all I said suggestion box, not complaint box.

Well yah, Thats what it is called. But people can make "suggestions" out in the open. Whats the harm? You know as well as I that the "box" is for anonymity's sake. For people that want to "secretly" complain about this or that and him or her.

Long ago in a supervisory and later management role I was forced to use these by company policy. The games people played. Jokers, payback, and competition between employees for position made that part of my job difficult.

Eventually the company dropped the idea. People were even breaking into these things to see what so and so was complaining about. And some people never stopped complaining it seemed. Some had pet peeves, to them it was like voting so they would repeat the same suggestion over and over.

From your reply you seem to be someone who lives in fear of the truth getting out.

Iconoclastic... under my user name.

I was glad when they suspended what I thought was a stupid idea. I knew it was important to let people air their opinions without fear. They are called meetings. Any enmity between employees needs to be handed promptly before that stuff gets out of hand. Face to face. Not in a "message box".

Of course, if management is not on top of things or if things are more delegated then they might not be in touch as much as they need to be. "Suggestion" boxes are one symptom of that.

Did you get my suggestion?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hi Rocky

I did my apprenticeship um 28 years ago and I am a tad long in the tooth.

It is always a pleasure for me to be shown some thing new by an apprentice. They keep me up to date and teach me more modern techniques. so
to them

However they are not always correct

Sometimes the old way are the best

Cody

new topics

top topics

join