It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Surface Temperatures in the Northeast Continental Shelf Reach Highest Level in 150 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, this article grabbed my attention. Not just the warming sea water, but that the rise is more dramatic than just a usual year.

With rising temperatures, melting ice caps in the Arctic and record-setting melting rates of ice in the Antarctic Peninsula, NOAA's NEFSC has an addition to the list: the rising temperature at the sea surface of the Northeast Continental Shelf reached the highest level in more than a century, last year. According to the report, the sea surface temperature in the Northeast Shelf Ecosystem reached a record-setting 14 degree Celsius in 2012, which is the highest since 1951.

The measurements of the sea surface temperatures were done via both contemporary satellite remote-sensing data and ship board measurements dated since 1854. The data shows that the temperature has increased more than one degree Celsius only five times, and the SST in 2012 saw the highest increase.

Source

Another article on it Here and source for this:

According to NOAA, the warming was the greatest increase on record, and one of only five instances when the temperature has changed by more than 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit. These drastic changes have not been noted elsewhere in the ocean basin, although in recent years global sea surface temperatures have been the highest on record.

Not sounding the alarm of imminent doom, but this is something to take notice of, yes? The changing eco-systems will have a huge impact and force some sort of change. I can hope humans will follow the ocean leader, but we'll probably invent some $8374985 billion device to try cooling the ocean. Ugh.

But I'm also wondering, doesn't warm water mean stronger hurricanes? NOAA already released the 2013 forecast for an active season. Super Storm Hurricane Part 2 in our near future?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Warmer water does mean stronger or more hurricanes are likely. But usually it's in area's where hurricanes are likely to form, ie, the tropics.

14 degree water is not hurricane forming water. Though I guess the waters are interconnected via the cooling system, but still...if you want to watch for hurricanes, look to the temperature of the tropical water.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
wattsupwiththat.com...

Source here

The tally to present for the last 6 weeks

High temperature records: 1214

Low temperature records: 3464

High minimum temperature records: 1957

Low maximum temperature records: 4323

Snowfall records: 2000

There is no corresponding anti-snowfall record.

Warmer ocean temps and records broken as far as low temps across the mainland....Go figure?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Warmer water does mean stronger or more hurricanes are likely. But usually it's in area's where hurricanes are likely to form, ie, the tropics.

14 degree water is not hurricane forming water. Though I guess the waters are interconnected via the cooling system, but still...if you want to watch for hurricanes, look to the temperature of the tropical water.

OK. I thought water temp also had an impact on strength. Hurricanes loose strength over cooler water? So if one forms in the tropics but goes up the east coast (a la Sandy), it would stay strong or gain strength with warmer water, yes?

I also read somewhere that the southern waters are cooler than average now - kicking myself that I can't find the article now.

I still think the bigger issues are with the changing ecosystem, but it will take time for that impact to materialize.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Those numbers are crazy! But, how many records are broken in previous years? Unless they are compared to something I can't tell if they are going up/down or "normal"

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ns9504

Yeah man, warmer water is a higher temperature, and has a much higher evaporation potential.

Think of a kettle. Cold water in the kettle, well there's no air flow coming out of the kettle and if there is any air coming out, it doesn't feel moist and wet.

Heat that water up and there's moisture and air flow.

The hotter the water, the greater the moisture and air flow.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ns9504
reply to post by 727Sky

Those numbers are crazy! But, how many records are broken in previous years? Unless they are compared to something I can't tell if they are going up/down or "normal"

The very temp records many of the alarmist proclaim only go back 150 years. Ice core and sediment deposits (which require actual field work..eew get your hands dirty science) are just now being published trying to get some answers and data on earths climate for periods of longer duration. So the hockey stick graph that set many of the consequences of global warming into full blown panic mode was based on incomplete data at best and out right fraud in some cases. Remember the hacked E-mails and all the numbers fudged a couple of years ago?

The best the undoctored numbers one can come up with is the earth has warmed .5c; that is why there was such consternation amongst the people who did the computer modeling which had predicted a much faster and higher rise to include the oceans. Most of the studies I have read or seen on T.V./Internet says for the last 17 years if anything the earth has been cooling .

search.yahoo.com...=A0oG7lCYgX5RG2MA7sNXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'EyMzhpcjIyBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0RGRDVfODU-/SIG=1277me8i7/EXP=1367 274008/**http%3a//www.odu.edu/ao/instadv/quest/Greenhouse.html

QUOTE: I believe the only way to detect these changes is from the geologic record of marine sediments. In the high northern latitudes, those sediments contain ice-rafted debris, or IRD. The IRD is deposited on or within ice sheets, portions of which eventually calve as icebergs and then travel on vast ocean currents. The composition and movement of this drifting ice can provide insights into the future direction of climate change. Contrary to the prevailing beliefs inside and out of the scientific community, my studies indicate that warming may not be the direction in which global climate is headed after all.

The last 10,000 years of geological history are referred to as the Holocene Era. During that time, global climate has been relatively stable, with swings from warmer temperatures to cooler and back again. On average, however, there has not been the kind of extreme climate oscillation that has in the distant past led to periods of glaciation. Nevertheless, Earth is overdue for a cold snap. Close examination of the way ice is presently traveling in ocean water, from frigid to warmer regions of the globe, suggests that the mechanisms for widespread planetary cooling may once again be engaging.

Ice rafting is a simple idea: particles such as stones, pebbles and fine grains become embedded in ice. As that ice drifts, it melts, depositing those particles in oceanic sediments, leaving a “drift track” indicative of its source. Geologists are then able to reconstruct past ice-drift directions by finding a method by which particles can be connected to a specific point of origin. END QUOTE:

In March 2002 scientific studies confirmed that polar ice was melting from the bottom up. By 2004, however, the air temperature was actually cooling. In 2007, French and Dutch scientists were challenging the concept of global warming because computer models did not hold true and other planets in the solar system were also experiencing warming.
search.yahoo.com...=A0oG7kgViX5RYz4AaVdXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'EyYW9nY3V1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0RGRDVfODU-/SIG=137td4dhr/EXP=1367 275925/**http%3a//voices.yahoo.com/nasa-says-computer-models-wrong-climate-change-8898405.html

This week NASA announced new evidence, with data gathered by the Terra Earth-orbiting satellite, that these models and the global warming forecasts they make are wrong. The projections vastly overestimate the impact of humanity's carbon footprint and its effect on climate.

Our concerns about climate change are all based on those computer software models used by scientists who forecast global warming. Can those computer programs be improved so they reflect the actual behavior of our atmosphere? After all, concerns about climate change and global warming have spawned the "green" movement and worldwide political, social and cultural activity that costs trillions and often lead to unwarranted new regulations

search.yahoo.com...=A0oG7kgViX5RYz4AaVdXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'EyYW9nY3V1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0RGRDVfODU-/SIG=137td4dhr/EXP=1367 275925/**http%3a//voices.yahoo.com/nasa-says-computer-models-wrong-climate-change-8898405.html

IMO regardless if there is global warming or another ice age cometh TPTB will figure out how to tax and bank your money while all the while proclaiming it is your fault if you do not support them and their endeavors. Climate terrorist, bad citizen, damn foreigners, etc etc. Again strong arguments on both sides; follow the money rule 1

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Humans like simple catch all phrases and answers; works much of the time yet when it comes to our planet without the appropriate data points all the computer models in the world will show "garbage out" because "garbage in" was used.

Ocean temps rising? B.P. oil spill and submerged volcanoes which have been noted all over the world erupting might have a larger effect on the ocean currents and heat transfer than any computer model available today can forecast...Not enough is known to make an accurate forecast but, give them your carbon tax credit money and they will make it better. Yah right.

America is trying to shut down over 60% of our coal fired power generation plants. When your electric bill increase 3 fold you can figure you are doing your part while China is building a new plant every ?3 weeks? But hey "we will lead they way".

If you go to China or India and look at their pollution control you would think most of us in Europe and the West live in an ecological paradise; don't even think about Africa....

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Ice core and sediment deposits (which require actual field work..eew get your hands dirty science) are just now being published trying to get some answers and data on earths climate for periods of longer duration.

Nonsense.

The best the undoctored numbers one can come up with is the earth has warmed .5c;

There has been no doctoring. If you're referring to the climategate fantasy, it's just that, a fantasy... the only controversy there was manufactured. The earth has warmed by .74C over which half has occurred after 1979, this is not a source of frustration in the sense you imply, only in the sense that the US government refuses to acknowledge there's an actual problem.

which had predicted a much faster and higher rise to include the oceans.

Yes the oceans, that is where the 'missing heat' has been found... at depths below 700m.

QUOTE: I believe the only way to detect these changes is from the geologic record of marine sediments.

A new compilation of temperature records etched into ice cores, old corals, and lake sediment layers reveals a pattern of global warming from 1880 to 1995 comparable to the global warming trend recorded by thermometers. This finding, reported by a team of researchers from NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center, the University of South Carolina, the University of Colorado, and the University of Bern in Switzerland, resolves some of the uncertainty associated with thermometer records, which can be affected by land use changes, shifts in station locations, variations in instrumentation, and more.

NOAA

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
reply to post by ns9504

Yeah man, warmer water is a higher temperature, and has a much higher evaporation potential.

Think of a kettle. Cold water in the kettle, well there's no air flow coming out of the kettle and if there is any air coming out, it doesn't feel moist and wet.

Heat that water up and there's moisture and air flow.

The hotter the water, the greater the moisture and air flow.

Does that mean our sun is warming the Earth more than normal ?

Sounds like El Nino.

Maybe both? What is going on?

new topics

top topics

join