It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chat making my MAC freeze up!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Okay,
so I am sitting here on a MacBook Pro.
I try to open chat. After some time of white there come a little button with the text "inactive plugin". Fine. So I click that, go through a lengthy installment process, restart the computer, open ATS, open chat: total freeze of the entire computer. Only way out if it: hard boot. I've tried to uninstall and do it all over but to no avail.
This has happened on both Safari and Firefox.

Wth?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
is your java version upto date?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
That's because it's a Mac...

Peace

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
That's because it's a Mac...

Peace

This. A thousand times, this.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

No kidding!
Get a mac, they said. It doesn't have as many problems as a PC, they said. Once you go mac you never go back, they said.
BOGUS! It has just as many problems as a PC it's just that it is much harder to fix on a mac since all system settings are beyond reach!!!

This bleak future, I mean present, we live in.... Tech will be our grave, not our salavation.

I'll try a java update but I really think that it was exactly that which made the freeze in the first place.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So I go the Java site and think: "I better check what version of Java I have before I download". OK, so I click "test my Java version" or whatever.
Firefox goes into catatonic state

Helpz! All you 'mericans, you all tap away on Macbooks the whole time, you must know what to do!!

I want chat!!! :cry:
edit on 28-4-2013 by Raud because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

I suggest uninstalling java and then download the installer again. They fazed out java 6 and went to java 7. You need to download the one for mac. The chat app works like it should on java 7 so it's basically your isolated issue of just not getting the proper installation and or setup. Make sure your browser Firefox is up to date too and set to your primary browser.
edit on 29-4-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sean

Fine, I'll take your advice.

Follow up question: how do I find and uninstall Java on a MacBook Pro?
I use this silly "finder" service and the only thing it brings back on "java" besides the Java settings prompt, which does not include an uninstall option (dafuc?), are text files and whatnot.

Someone please walk me through this

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Click on the Finder icon located in your dock
Click on Applications tab on the sidebar
In the Search box enter JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
This will find the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin file
Right click on JavaAppletPlugin.plugin and select Move to Trash

Google FTW!

I know windows PC's, nothing about the overpriced machine that is Mac.

**Note** the above requires admin privileges.
edit on 29/4/13 by secret titan because: addition

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by secret titan

Aaah-keey.... So why can't I just search "java" in Finder and access it? That question is not directed at you, but at Mac (and God).
I run the OS on another language so some of the instructions don't really translate that good, but being the good sport that I am, I did google (in my own language) and ended up at the "Java for Mac" page:

Java 7 is not supported by these older versions of Mac OS X. If you have problems with Java 6, contact Apple Technical Support. Java.com does not provide a download for these systems.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Have you thought about getting a PC?

I wish I wasn't so dumb when it comes to Mac issues cause I know chat is a fun place to hang out and talk about random stuff.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by secret titan

I have been thinking that, yes. We got this piece of junk for free, that's why we are trying to make use of it.

We will get a stationary PC soon enough...

top topics

join