It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've never been ashamed to be an ATS member. Ever.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Why would I be, why would you be? It's a virtual spot on the internet, are you ashamed to be an internet user? I mean consider all the child pron, and gore filled pictures out there, and the culture of of trolling each other that has become common place, all the hate groups, all the insert name here. Ashamed? Hell no. Those demons don't belong to me, those are for others to sort out in their life. So what if they say something brash, they wanted a reaction and unto them you gave it. In their books mission accomplished.

It's been IDK what, 10 years with this account, Never once been ashamed to be a member of ATS and I've seen some outlandish things. Sure I disagree with a lot of folks so what, you might agree with me in one thread, hell even feel compelled to like me, while you may run into me in another thread and decide you despise me. Yet Ashamed? I'd hope not.

Not like there is some high bar to become a member on ATS where we only let certain kinds in, it's a free exchange of information, thoughts and opinions. I say put your big boy boots on and enjoy the ride. Doesn't mean you have to agree or disagree with someone saying effed up stuff, call them out, tell them they are wrong and this is why you believe so, hell if you are so offended you could just contact the mods. I mean cmon we all know the first reply to the thread in question of the thread I am addressing was just about getting the first post with what they thought was a witty star generating one liner. *think youtube effect*

I still stand by saying, Nobody here should feel ashamed. That's just silly. In all honesty if you are starting to feel that way maybe it's time to step back from the ATS and take a break. Not inferring you must agree with everyone here or like what they say. Yes you will run into things that offend you. but again no reason to be ashamed, as there is no honor bestowed upon being a member here it's not selective. It's a microcosm of the internet.

In closing even if you were swayed by the actions of member on an internet forum, how could you be ashamed of a few dozen people at max, when the vast majority of ATS membership is of quality?

I'd say the quality folks far out weigh the [snipped]-nozzles.

-lys out.

edit on 27-4-2013 by Lysergic because: typos

edit on Sat Apr 27 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: inappropriate word removed

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

lol.... good rant!

I agree, I've never been ashamed to be part of this wonderful community...

On the other hand, I can recall several moments where I've been ashamed to be human...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Brilliant.

You're right. Being ashamed of ATS? It's a community, made up of people who in some ways identify with one another. Being ashamed of ATS would be like being ashamed of our own town or neighborbood or whatever, just because of the bad actions of a very small minority. And to borrow heavily from what you said as it's so important: the good people here, those with compassion and understanding, far outweigh the others.

Thanks for telling it like it really is.

Mike.

edit on 27/4/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I completely agree.

Members take ATS/members/threads too seriously. People click on threads willfully, and comment how stupid the thread is or this and that. No one forced you (I hope) to click on a thread you are not interested in and plus making a pointless comment about how much of a nonsense it is? Seriously? It's the new youtube. The video is about birds for example, and it turns into a religious debate at the end.
You don't like my thread? GTFO! < This should be right under Deny Ignorance. End rant.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Good rant, I find myself in agreement with you, which is alarming in itself.

ATS is a wonderful place. Like wonderland, you never know what you will run into next. I found a quieter poster today, lovely threads to spend time in. An under the radar treasure.

Even on the dull days ATS is always good for a laugh.

edit on 27-4-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

S&F!!!!!!!

I think it has a lot to do with drama and attention! Not to mention stars and flags from those whom are easily horrified by how others think.......some trolling is involved as well to get an uprising from others.......

I would have to say that your post OP deserves the "Rant of the Year Award"!!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Is this the anti I'm ashamed to be an ATS member? Sure have noticed alot of these anti type of threads popping up.

I relate being an ATS member to being in your local bar and chewing over the latest happenings in the world. Now I would much prefer to be in my local bar, but because these types of establishment are disappearing at an extortionate rate, I choose to log in here.

The beauty of life is the diversity of it. Everyone is different and at some point in their lives will have differing opinions about certain things, that's life!!

Now if someone chooses to say something that I find abhorent, I can choose to address them or ignore them. Throughout life, I have found that people who are ignored, are more disturbed than they would be if you decided to confront them. I have also found that people who make such abhorent statements, usually do not have much life experience and would benefit from a little guidance that has been missing in their lives.

We are a family here, even the members I do not agree with the majority of the time would be missed if they decided to no longer post their two penny worth. Ashamed of ATS? No, how can you feel ashamed of your family?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
if i'm to be completely honest there are moments where i've questioned what i'm still doing here.

and not because of anything being discussed, just the way it was being discussed.
saying the same things in different ways, or making it uselessly personal.

other then that I feel at home here in only a short 2 year period,
you've been here 10 years so you've seen people like me come and go 5x longer.

i can only imagine the horror.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I don't get it? Has somebody said they are ashamed? Has some media outlet said we're all crazy or something? why would anyone be ashamed? I'm confused about this thread?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stargatetravels
I don't get it? Has somebody said they are ashamed? Has some media outlet said we're all crazy or something? why would anyone be ashamed? I'm confused about this thread?

Maybe someone can start a thread about how confusing it can sometimes be on ATS?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by stargatetravels

It's a weekly thing.

Someone says something stupid, in comes 30 replies about how ashamed to be an ATS member everyone is.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

Weren't sure either, guess it may have something to do with this though.
Today I am ashamed to be a member of ATS

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Ah ok, thanks guys.
So attention seekers, drama queens and randomness!

Yep, that's ats I suppose.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I must say, I'm rather proud to be a part of the ATS family. We are a rare breed, indeed., and as we may not agree on everything, we're still fam. Peace out to you all.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
We all have a choice on what to read and believe. Sure there are some members who post some outrageous things, but why even give it a second thought? Don't glorify it by replying to it or create a thread about it. ATS has members from all walks of life. Some post ridiculous replies just to get their kicks out of the responses it will get.

Members don't have nothing to be ashamed of because of someone's outlandish remarks. It's a public forum that allows people to voice their opinions, good or bad. You either agree or disagree, it's really that simple.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
quick put the leash back on...

who released the Gorgon!!?

edit on 27-4-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

im going to write a third thread, in reaction to this

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

You are a good man.

Go for it please.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:29 PM