It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean tension escalates as South withdraws workers from Kaesong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

In a move which many viewed as an effort to pacify her critics, earlier this week conservative South Korean President Park Guen-Hye gave North Korea just 24 hours to discuss the closure of the Kaesong Industrial Complex or else face "serious measures". Few were surprised when Pyongyang refused the ultimatum.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Dont get too excited! Taken directly from Foxnews

www.foxnews.com...

Majority of South Koreans at North Korean factory to return

SEOUL, South Korea – Roughly three quarters of the 175 South Koreans still at a shuttered factory park in North Korea are scheduled to return Saturday after Seoul decided to withdraw them over Pyongyang's rejection of its demand for talks on the last symbol of inter-Korean cooperation, the government said.

The industrial complex in the border city of Kaesong bustled with more than 53,000 North Korean workers and 800 South Korean managers before Pyongyang pulled its entire work force out and banned South Koreans from entering it earlier this month.

The park, the biggest employer in Kaesong with a population of 200,000 according to North Korean officials, is the most significant casualty in the recent deterioration of ties between the Koreas. Operating with South Korean know-how and technology and with cheap labor from North Korea since 2004, it has weathered past cycles of hostility between the rivals, including two attacks blamed on North Korea in 2010 that killed 50 South Koreans.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on Sat Apr 27 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: added ex tags, way shoartened quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by grimghost

escalates ?
I don't believe there are any escalations.. if there where further escalations it would be war
And I really don't believe that will happen, north Korea leader is expected to be the way he is, the country and culture is build up like that for many years.. but its all hot air, NK are not stupid, they know a war against anyone, will be the end of NK as we know it

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by grimghost

I didn't think this was new news. I thought this had already happened a week or two ago.

Kim was bluffing the whole time. He just pressured S. Korea, China and the U.S in sanctions talks. Then after they agreed he been quiet.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Another brilliant move by N.k.They are the ones would take a much bigger economic shlacking than S.K.would.Also real helper considering its strangling sanctions.This is why we didn't want Hitler assassinated,the idiot was destroying his own forces faster than we could.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

^ Funny how many naïve people exist on this planet from the type that say 'nothing will happen, nothing will happen!' but it's like what you want it to be rather than following logic.

NK and SK have had conflicts in the past, let's say this is just another time of tension that will pass with nothing happening. Each escalation of that kind is another nail in the coffin of peace in that region. Do you think that when a future escalation occurs, this one will be forgotten? No this adds up another amount to the cup of water, I wonder how full the cup will have to get. Either way, thinking 'nothing will happen' is absurd.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

There is no agreement in place for talks. N Korea wants the Sanctions lifted and to be allowed to be a recognised Nuclear Power. End of story. They will never allow it. End of story.

This did not happen 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago they would not let S Korea enter to bring food and supplies in to the remaining workers.

Thats why they have to leave now.

N Korea has 9 million ground troops. China is aligned with N Korea not the South so don't forget that. Nor does China want S Korea and their freinds especially the States making new inroads.

So to say nothing will happen is nothing short of wishful thinking.

The Closure of this Industrial Complex and its assets is and will damage S Korea's economy.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreshAirGirl
[

The Closure of this Industrial Complex and its assets is and will damage S Korea's economy.

No it wont its a drop in the ocean for south koreans. On the other hand is a big chunk of the north koran econemy. It will hurt NK far far more than SK.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Steve Herman ‏@W7VOA 51s

#ROK MoU tells VOA with 1 hr before remaining S. Koreans intend to leave Kaesong, no exit permission yet received from #DPRK

I hope this will change asap.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImpactoR

^ Funny how many naïve people exist on this planet from the type that say 'nothing will happen, nothing will happen!' but it's like what you want it to be rather than following logic.

NK and SK have had conflicts in the past, let's say this is just another time of tension that will pass with nothing happening. Each escalation of that kind is another nail in the coffin of peace in that region. Do you think that when a future escalation occurs, this one will be forgotten? No this adds up another amount to the cup of water, I wonder how full the cup will have to get. Either way, thinking 'nothing will happen' is absurd.

It´s all hot air.. nothing will happen
I base this on personal research
the end.

Perhaps you are the naive one believing the media blindly
And if you are a American I suggest I focus more on whats going on in your country then others
it needs cleaning
edit on 29-4-2013 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

America is still technically at war with NKorea,they have threatend to detonate a nuclear bomb,the US has many thousands of citizens in Skorea and Japan,the entire world is concerned and the US has every right to be.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human

America is still technically at war with NKorea,they have threatend to detonate a nuclear bomb,the US has many thousands of citizens in Skorea and Japan,the entire world is concerned and the US has every right to be.

More propaganda lies..
there is only one country that wants war.. and its not NK
they just need to brainwash the masses before its go time like many times before

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

No it wont its a drop in the ocean for south koreans. On the other hand is a big chunk of the north koran econemy. It will hurt NK far far more than SK.

This much is true, NK is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face here. Of course, the plant is now permanently closed (at least for SK companies), as what SK business is going to want to go in there again, knowing production is at the whim of a nutjob? If I were one of the former companies, I wouldn't go back in....too much risk.

SOMETHING has to happen. Either NK will back down, or they will initiate a war. Time is on the side of SK and the US, so no need for us to strike first. All about how long Kim can last. The US and China (and Russia) will NOT recognize NK as a nuclear power, and NK says it won't talk unless they do. It's a stalemate, but one where the other player has a loaded gun to your head, waiting for you to move your chess piece.
edit on 29-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Haha 'I base it on personal research, the end' - such a credible statement! Okay I will leave it to your beliefs, I am saying facts, but those who say 'nothing will happen' seem to have some fear.

I am not saying anything will happen to US islands cause I doubt NK can reach that far, I am saying that this region in the far east may turn into a warzone after some years, considering China, Japan argues over the islands, NK SK escalation etc. There has never been a peace treaty b-n NK and SK and just because they kept the fire away does not mean in such cases it cannot escalate. Also it's not the media, it's what history teaches us - unsolved and DELAYED problems only lead to bigger 'storm' in the future.

People need to face not say 'No' only because their air heads cannot take it!! Is too unbelievable!
edit on 29-4-2013 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Nothing i posted was a lie
The United states does not desire a armed engagment with Nkorea
I see all sides,the crippling sanctions and economic strangle-hold Nkorea would consider an act of war
and Skorea/US/Japan under threat from regular nuclear/missle tests just off there shores.
In the conditions that exist in the Korea's there is no easy solution

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I think you need to read some KCNA news and see if they are in the war mind set just because no shots are being fired does not mean they are not at war, they are and it could become a shooting war at any time DPRK has said they will make the first shot here is KCNA www.kcna.kp... if that one comes up Korean here is the same link in english www.kcna.kp... now say they are not at war.

edit on 1-5-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Legally, and technically, we are already at war, since NK dissolved the armistice..
If we were being picky...and wanted to call him on it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

that's what i was saying and they Un and the DPRK have said it over and over, they in their mind are at war , we US SK have not said it as to keep things calm.

new topics

top topics

join