It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today I am ashamed to be a member of ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
P.S. Cody, know what ya should do when you encounter a few "bad apples" on threads? Make applesauce.
Just a different spin on things. Like the lemons/make lemonaide dealy.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

WeAreAWAKE, thank ya kindly.
We are all entitled to an opinion and we are all entitled to agree to disagree and so forth. Always good to hear what folks have to say from all sides.
Thanx for your input. Emotions often rule the day as well as logic. Is all a matter of degrees. One would hope logic and common respect and decency would win out, yes.?

One would hope compassion and empathy and love is still alive and well in this society. Time will tell.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Zatox

Don't let it get to you, it really isn't that bad. sigh.

Wise words from someone who pretends not to care....

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hi Cody,

You need your faith restored. Here you go!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

P

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
margaret thatcher ruins lifes and if we bad mouth her the thread is shut instantly but burning of a baby then feel free to try justify it and its absolutely fine........seriously tell me am i missing something?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Honestly, I wouldn't go around being ashamed of something some fool trolls do, they don't reflect on we of better nature. Some people feel free to say any idiotic thing they want to while hiding behind the anonymity of the web. By way of example, I, like so many other people, have seen entire lengthy threads(I'm not speaking of ATS here)
where all they do is call each other "teatards", "libtards", many assorted curse words and the like. Sometimes it's hard to find anything resembling reasoned political discourse. Few would do this in public.

More to the immediate subject, I doubt they would react so flippantly if this happened to a member of their own immediate family, at least I hope they're not that sociopathic. These days who knows. As a man of some faith, I'll throw in a bible verse(uh-oh!) here.

"For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."-Matt 12:34b

I don't know what their hearts are full of, but it's not empathy and compassion. Maybe I don't want to know. As a rule, I don't get involved in such threads, but I was glad to find this one. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Ashamed of ATS? NO. Ashamed of society in general.....sometimes, yes. Folks who are so casual about the death of that baby and say...."We all gotta die and so what".....Would they be so casual if it was a baby in their neighborhood, a baby of a friend of theirs or heaven forbid, their own child....what if some religious nut came along and said..."Your baby is a cute lil devil but we gotta throw it in a fire because it is the anti-christ."..what about that? Would it matter then....the scary part is that maybe even then, it wouldn't. Kids being killed in a war based on lies, that dosen't matter either to those types of folks. As long as it is "over there" somewhere and far away from ones own back yard, it's ok? Abortion dosen't matter. Vaccine deaths don't matter.

Such is society today. If something bad happens, as long as it dosen't affect them and their own personal space...no matter. Every baby, child and adult should be important and life should mean something. There should be respect and regard for all life. Anymore, everything is about me, me, me. It seems to be a me, me, me society more and more. If something dosen't affect someone personally, it has no value or is not worthy of compassion or concern.

Having emotions and feelings relevant to a tragedy or injustice is not wrong. Folks that don't have them are the ones to take notice of and wonder and worry about.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
It's disturbing that people still believe in religion or hocus pocus in 2013.

It's disturbing that we believe in politicians also and look what they are capable of compared to this one act.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

G'day Cody, I was unaware of that thread so stuck my head in for a quick squizz.

It took all of four posts for me to be reminded that there is no shortage of geese and idiots
in our midst - wherever we may be. I did not read on nor contribute.

You have plenty of friends here to share the good stuff with ! And there is some good stuff !

The best I can offer you is .... Mate, don't let the Turkeys get you down.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by cody599

See a disgusting comment?

Report it, feel sorry for the sad, pathetic excuse for a human who is responsible for it (perhaps pray that Karma does indeed exist), and then move on.

Some of us live in this place called reality. We don't move on in the sense of forgetting what we learn about the world around us. We take it all in. I have known sick, Sadistic jerks almost my whole life. I have always been disturbed by their existence, their actions and cold reactions. I cannot help but worry at how many people in this world are this way, or are raising kids this way. The question arises as to how we should deal with this mentality. It is an on-going problem which causes the very kinds of tragedies which the original thread was talking about.

We have laws, psychologists and medications to help deal with some of this mental illness, but it never treats all of it. The murders, rapes and unnecessary wars wage on. There is a sick side to human nature that is forever an issue for those who haven’t lost their humanity, or who haven't chosen to be like an ostrich with its head in the sand.
edit on 28-4-2013 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
If this is what happens every time someone posts a dissenting comment on ATS, I fear we have more in common with the Middle East than we originally thought. Most certainly, ATS is falling more and more into the Facebook syndrome. Either you are able to accept that your opinion isn't universally accepted...or you're gonna have a bad time, as demonstrated in recent threads. Either way, it gives you no right to judge either the members or the forum.

If you have difficulty coming to terms with dissension, seek counseling and keep your judgments to yourself. For instance, I have a few choice words for every member who thinks that not having a Valley Girl drama fit over something that happens every day in some parts of the world is a crime punishable by public humiliation. You know what, you've just witnessed the tip of the iceberg for the less civilized countries in this world. Now you know what they go through every day. And just because some of us have a lack of emotional response to something we already knew this species was capable of, doesn't make us worthy of your righteous indignation.

Nothing like burning babies to shatter the composure and maturity of the world's foremost collection of unofficial conspiracy theorists. I had hoped for better. That's all I have to say.
edit on 27-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

There is something wrong with your thinking, AfterInfinity. It is rather difficult to believe that someone could actually think the way you do and this is why some just write you off as a 'troll.' I won't, however, as I believe that you are being sincere about what you think and believe. You are simply twisted in your thinking. Of course people can have different views and disagree on things and then, in theory, if someone has a meltdown over a disagreement, they're a drama queen. Sure. But, it depends on the scenario. Let me demonstrate the difference for you:

CASE # 1
Jim says: "I hate the rain. It's cold and makes me sad."
Tim says: "I love the rain. It's soothing and cleansing."
Kim says: "How can you say that, Tim?? What are you, mental??"

In this case we can see that Kim is a drama queen: merely overreacting to a contradictory opinion.

CASE # 2
Jim says: "My neighbor murdered his wife and two kids last night! I heard their screams...I can’t get it out of my head..."
Tim says: "Ah, stuff like that happens. Maybe they had it coming anyhow. Croissant, anyone?"
Kim says: "How can you say that, Tim?? What are you, mental??"

In this case we can see that Kim is reacting as a normal, healthy, sane individual to an obviously psychotic (or at best, emotionally disturbed) remark.

Someone who does not see the difference between the two needs to see a psychologist (or a priest) and I am positive that a psychologist (or a priest) would agree.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by shrevegal
reply to post by cody599

Hi cody, I just read the thread and posted a reply there around page 9. I hope my reply resonates with you and some other folks here. I can understand what you are feeling...We have this beautiful world and yet so many do not appreciate it or the life that is on it. We ALL should matter.

Some folks say we should just forget the negative or cruel and heartless comments and move on. I can't help wondering if that is what part of the trouble is relevant to the human condition. Too many times, we acknowledge injustice and cruelty and horror and then move on. How will things ever change in this world if we don't recognize it all. Cody, you try and bring change every time you post one of your "fun" threads. You try and bring about humor and smiles and good cheer to folks here. When folks read a "happy" thread, they leave here with a happy heart and perhaps, in some small way, what they have read causes them to be kinder/gentler to a person they encounter later. Every little effort toward bringing smiles and good cheer helps.

Too many times, people wish to look the other way, move on, forget negativity and not leave their comfort zone. Sure, it is not good to dwell on negativity all the time but it is futile to ignore it also. It exists. The kind of change we need in this world is not the kind of change one egotistical politician may promise...the change we need comes from within. The change we need is for us all to embrace humanity and being "humane" and not just turn away and forget it. One person, one day at a time, can make a difference. We can't/shouldn't give up.
It isn't wrong to recognize untoward behavior and "call" someone on it...to notice it and wonder about it and comment. A response from such folks is expected. Sometimes the response speaks volumes. Sometimes it is a misunderstanding.

How many wars and deaths have been caused because of religious beliefs and corporate greed. The day such things no longer shock us, that is the day we are all in trouble.

Cody, stay at ATS. The site, ATS isn't the problem....a few "bad apples" spoil things as much as "many" bad apples spoil this grand ole world.

edit on 27-4-2013 by shrevegal because: added thought

Well said. I feel the same. We can't just look the other way, yet at the same time we can't let them drag us down. I take them on when I am up to it. When I'm not, I don't allow myself to be dragged down.

I am glad to see good people here on ATS. It is a site that I enjoy coming to because it has many interesting, intelligent and decent people on it. It has its psychos too, but I've noticed that discussions on these sorts of subjects usually end in the right. Right and wrong speak for themselves and in the end what is right will always ring true.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
This is Why I have NO FAITH in HUMANTIY

Faith in humanity = 0 For me!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneCloudHopper2

There is a way to deal with it.. We march them all to the tops of Volcanoes and show them that the bible doesn't lie about the bottomless pit of fire either

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
nothing to be ashamed of on ATS..
OP just need to learn to respect not everyone got the same views of life as he/she does
Freedom is what we need not more control

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneCloudHopper2

This is a conspiracy forum on the internet. Because of this your options are very limited as to how you can deal with sadists and psychopaths. My advice (report it, move on) is the best way of dealing with someone who makes these types of comments on a forum because responding to them is only quenching their thirst.

Of course, if you want to actually do something about the problem on a larger scale I would advise you to read some literature on the subject to gain a better understanding. Books like 'Snakes In Suits', 'Without Conscience' and 'Political Ponerology' are a good place to start. What you do from there is up to you. Write a book? Start a blog? Protest in the streets? Whatever.

I chose to do nothing, does that make me a bad person? Maybe.

I would be interested to know how you felt once you had done the research, if you haven't already.

edit on 28/4/2013 by LiveForever8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Sadly mate there are sick people wherever you go both in life and on the internet.

On ATS you can either take them on within the T&C and politely school them, you can ignore them or you can report them and then watch the issue be arbitrarily dealt with or just ignored.

I used to choose the "take em all on and whoop them" choice but ya know... more and more keep joining the site.
You'd end up spending all your time arguing with these freaks, so best to just ignore it.... staff rarely do anything and there is no uniform way of dealing with issues, a Mods bias always comes into it and then does the mod who picks up your report agree with you or disagree....? So that route is also pointless.

Just ignore them mate.

Someone who can laugh at death or suffering of any human being, but particularly a baby is just sick.
They'll not be here long I wouldn't have thought.
edit on 28/4/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I'm against you're reasoning OP. We obviously don't less from people like you on this site. We need more !
Just like we don't need less from people like you in this world. We need more !

That's all I have to say about that.

Now after clicking that link. I'm gonna have to barf !

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i just came across this thread, and then went to the thread and comments referred to here. i'd like to say that i am shocked by what i read, but sadly i am not, especially in the light of the commenting history of the un-named folk involved. repulsive, paranoid, idiotic and sociopathic, most certainly. but not a shock given past performance......if they said such things in person in public they would be spat upon at the very least, and would richly deserve it.

but they would not. they would be outed as the cowardly repulsive unthinking bottom feeders that they have always shown themselves to be. from the cover of their online annonymity.

this is sadly just the latest in the long line of their demonstration of the "quality of their character", but by no means a surprise.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I seriously couldn't flag, star or get past the first page of that thread. it literally made me sick to my stomach.

I felt like it soiled my soul, I had to just walk away

S&F

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join