It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the biblical religions are dangerous?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by studythem1

studied on my own for several years and now im just trying to reach others of the same mindset, free thinkers, and warn those that think that this evil god will save them, when in fact they are just "chosen" to be cannon fodder, or to be abused...

Well, glad to meet you!! We must keep bringing it to the table!!
Check out the links I provided for more info on how to reach those folks and help others get there.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by maes2

but all of these can not be a proof that Abraham was not a prophet or there is no God in this world.
concept of monotheism is purely rational. wisdom can deduces monotheism.
again sacrificing the son of Abraham (which was just symbolic and as a measure of submission in God) can not be a sign of an artificial story.
wisdom shows that there should be only one creator (God) and again there is a need for sending prophets, because prophets can prevent people from worshiping false Gods and show them the true God.

while all this may have points of truth, and certainly the bible does have gems of truth in it, the problem was the god they singled out was false to begin with...simply becasue of his actions and psychology...

the link i made to abraham being told to sacrifice his son, was common in those days, so it is not far fetched to understand why abraham felt compelled to sacrifice his own son, since the god he was familiar with already did that in mythology...the ancient texts were just a glimpse into the social mindset of the day, but shed more light on why some things are contained in the bible...it exposes certain things that the bible doesnt tell us...

does this mean that abrahams god was real? there is no way to know for sure whether he was real or not, because as we both admit, the bible is a composite made to appear as if it were one cohesive work, when in fact it is a mish mash of ideas compiled into one...so there's no way to know which one was real or false, but the one theologians have continued to portray, as their predecessors who compiled the OT, that this was the story of one god...then we have to take into consideration the social mindset of the day, and the evidence clearly set out of the god they chose to follow, which was one who not only approved genocide, but seemsed to get off on killing...this goes counter to what most people view as an all powerful creator that is merciful...kind...

furthermore, historicity is a poor argument to prove an ideology is the correct one...just because abraham lincoln vampire hunter was a book and movie about a historical time period, does not make it the truth...it is historical fiction...and i suspect much of the bible is the same thing...a historical fiction to try and prove a certain deity is the real deal...it may have historical facts, but that does not validate the ideology, and the ideology begins to crumble under scrutiny, which is forbidden by the religions and holy men...

prophets are another matter altogether...visions are subjective, and in many cases these prophets were murdered because they said something that challenged the establishment, so what they were recorded as saying could also be a fabrication, or only part of what they were saying, and in the cases where it was not damaging to the establishment, it was usually so nonsensical at the time that there was no way to know for sure if their visions would be detrimental to the ideology...but they were seeing things out of context...

for example one prophet has the vision of a flyin scroll, which later we find out in today's context is actually the exact description of a nuclear missile...so things they thought had no significance were included for decoration, but actually prove that the visions could not be taken literally, and in fact only in most cases were included if they supported the ideology the prophet was condemning...

so we cannot get much information out of these prophecies that is very useful unless it is in the proper context, and since we cannot see what they saw with today's knowledge and technological familiarity, there is no way to know for sure they were identifying what they saw correctly...

this can open a whole new can of worms about who was posing as god...because it could only truly be someone who appeared to be so powerful that fear actually worked...

many people say there were aliens posing as god...

that is a possibility, until we know for sure we cannot discount that...but they are still not gods...because their psychology is abusive...and they teach others to abuse...

i personally think there is some truth to the idea that humans came here (maybe not identical to us, but close enough to look the same) and engineered our dna, to be closer to theirs...its record is resident in our DNA...lloyd pye does a great job of explaining this...it is not refutable...we all carry this evidence...now this can lead to a wild goose chase or some weird off the wall crap, but at least the DNA record is sound evidence...

so how do we know that some beings with high technology did not pose as god and use it as an excuse to toy with people? in time we will know for sure...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

i will bookmark those pages! thanks! glad to meet you as well...keep pressing toward the truth...

this made me laugh!!!

www.youtube.com...
edit on 27-4-2013 by studythem1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Woops. You have to leave off all the stuff up to and including the slash and post only the last sequence of letters/numbers to get the link to work right.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

some of it i did for a thesis at a religious school, and i was told to either change my paper, or face severe reprecussions, so i left...and this was one of the many things that actually proved to me that this particular religious and theological school was no good, and that religion is anything but a friend of free thought and speech...

i used to roll w/ Evangelicals and some heavy hitting Theologians that were doing world wide speaking tours, books, radio shows, etc. BIG NAMES!!!!!!

I started asking questions that they didn't like, and they started telling me that maybe my ego death and spiritual awakenings were from the devil. Next you know, in their words I'm a "Blaspheming heathen non-Christian Unbeliever." Straight up fundies like some back woods southern baptist preacher. I was out of there soooooo Quick and understood completely why Christ was against the Church/Religions of his day, and how he felt when his own disciples were rejecting him

well, yahweh was the canaanite god of war...he was bloodthirsty, this was the only way to please this god, by an offering of the blood of a sacrifice..

Yeah, my sentiments as well. It's the whole OT God = Demiurge/Demigod theory. Gnostics were big on this!

I still think Jesus and NT is legit though!!!! I let the Jews have their OT and have not once looked back for the last 6-7 years.

Plus the whole "God require blood sacrifices to cover for Sin!" .......Like really? What? I was doing a Bible study one time when I was Evangelical with a new guy who wanted to give Christianity a Shot and we were going through OT, building up to the events leading up to Christ.

When we got to the animal sacrifices for covering sin, you know how he reacted, basically like this (paraphrased):

"That's some terrible sh*!!!!! Why would God need innocent animals to be killed to cover for our sins, sins which we do because he created us into a world were sin is inevitable?"

Blew my wig to see his reaction. Since then I questioned everything about OT and let it go. But NT I embrace because I have experienced Ego Death, Transcendence, Divine Bliss, Illumination, and Spiritual Awakening all from following Christ and having the Holy Spirit descend upon me. It's a legitimate path towards Enlightenment and Union w/ God

edit on 27-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

It's a legitimate path towards Enlightenment and Union w/ God

The key word being "a". It's one of many legitimate paths. Still, good for you for getting away from them!! Such conmen.. :shk:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Why do atheists spend so much time studying religion? Its like they need to prove something, look for logic loops, find conspiracies, prove that religions have blended from ancient ones of old etc... for what purpose I don't know, but I think they are wasting their time.

Every time I read one of these I get an image in my head of Jim Parson's TV personally snickering after saying something like "do you really know what the Easter bunny is all about? PAGANISM!!!" snicker...snicker...snort snort...

The bottom line is religion at the lowest levels does a lot of good in the world, religion at the higher levels stops being religion and takes on a political force with all the evils and controls that politics trends to have.

The truth about dangers is that Man is dangerous all by himself, he needs no help. With or without religion Man would be exactly as he is, except that even with all the flaws of religion the times in the past that Man has had none he had REALLY gone total retard and it is during these non-religious times we see just how evil Man can get. I'm hoping your next essay will be long these lines since it seems you like to invest a lot of time on the subject.

One last note on your essay.... Typically the one that suggests the "most murderous God of all time" or something along those lines and not the most merciful one of all time is someone on the other side looking though the eyes of one that is on the side that lost the war....hehe just saying...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Woops. You have to leave off all the stuff up to and including the slash and post only the last sequence of letters/numbers to get the link to work right.

i hate that, so i just made it into a link instead...stupid youtube

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

no i didn't lose, im just helping expose religion as a psychological tool...and it should be studied and shared...thats it...i dont want to create a new movement or religion myself, i have my own belief system and anyone else can have theirs, just be aware of whats going on...

true man is dangerous to himself all by himself, but we dont have to be...being aware is part of it...

and if you read the whole topic you would find i am not an atheist, i merely state that the god they portray is not the real deal...but an imposter, and an evil one...and the psychology it used is still here today in the world system...in fact it is justified by the religion that attempts to distance itself from the world system, when it is actually deeply connected to corruption...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Here ya go.

I won't go into this topic. But oh yeah! Sex is the big one, in regards to religion. I could say a lot here, but I'll bite my tongue.

edit on 4/27/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Why do atheists spend so much time studying religion? Its like they need to prove something, look for logic loops, find conspiracies, prove that religions have blended from ancient ones of old etc... for what purpose I don't know, but I think they are wasting their time.

Well, I'm not an atheist - I'm an agnostic Deist...
I study it because religiosity is a FASCINATING psychological phenomenon.
It's not up to you to decide if it's a waste of time.

The purpose is to discover the truth.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Lets just say there is a god and we all come from adam and eve so it says then why do we all look so diffrent from each other and i mean by all over the world the africans dont look like sweeds and natives dont look like oriental or we as north and south americans dont look at all like koreans i guess what i am trying to say is why every part of the world we all look alot diffrent than each other if we all came from the same and i mean facially.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

With or without religion Man would be exactly as he is, except that even with all the flaws of religion the times in the past that Man has had none he had REALLY gone total retard and it is during these non-religious times we see just how evil Man can get.

I disagree with you entirely that without religion Mankind has "gone total retard."
Men can be evil, yes. But religion doesn't stop that. Morality does. Proper education, and systematic teaching of empathy and compassion.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

HEY, THAT VIDEO is Dr. Darrel Ray!! One of the guys I met last weekend!!
He's very cool.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

I have to clarify something with your statement here sir. Most people that have come to the conclusion that religion is a fallacy have come to that conclusion because they have been raised on the bible.

www.npr.org...

American atheists and agnostics tend to be people who grew up in a religious tradition and consciously gave it up, often after a great deal of reflection and study, said Alan Cooperman, associate director for research at the Pew Forum.

That is a link to a really good article talking about how most atheists and agnostics are more knowledgeable about the bible than many religious folks are.

And it makes sense when you think about it. Nobody comes to the conclusion that religion is not needed to worship God without being knowledgeable about it in the first place. It is not like there are atheists studying the bible all day trying to find flaws in it. The flaws in it are easy to see for most people that have been raised on it and actually have studied it through Sunday school, bible class, catechism, VBS, etc.
edit on 27-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

With or without religion Man would be exactly as he is, except that even with all the flaws of religion the times in the past that Man has had none he had REALLY gone total retard and it is during these non-religious times we see just how evil Man can get.

I disagree with you entirely that without religion Mankind has "gone total retard."
Men can be evil, yes. But religion doesn't stop that. Morality does. Proper education, and systematic teaching of empathy and compassion.

i also want to add that religion often makes people go total retard and causes petty disputes that can and have erupted into religious conflicts, up to and including genocide...i saw that first hand myself in bosnia...the "ethnic cleansing" was really not so much over ethnicity, because they all were so close in genetics that it did not matter, they were actually killing themselves over relgion, and a supposed genetic difference due to religious upbringing gave them all an excuse to kill each other...

if this is not total retard i do not know what is...

i am also an agnostic deist, which means i believe there is a creator, that cannot be comprehended in its entirety in our current form, that means from our five senses and our way of thinking and relating to the world and universe we cannot completely comprehend all the facets of the creator, it is humanly impossible...it has been attempted and it always falls short...part of this is the definition of the creator, and sadly the definition of the creator by the theologians who support the abrahamic religions, severely limits this deity and puts it in a box, which negates all the omnipotent and omnipresent junk they try to feed us...when clearly their definition falls far short of that mark...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior

Originally posted by Xtrozero

I have to clarify something with your statement here sir. Most people that have come to the conclusion that religion is a fallacy have come to that conclusion because they have been raised on the bible.

www.npr.org...

American atheists and agnostics tend to be people who grew up in a religious tradition and consciously gave it up, often after a great deal of reflection and study, said Alan Cooperman, associate director for research at the Pew Forum.

That is a link to a really good article talking about how most atheists and agnostics are more knowledgeable about the bible than many religious folks are.

And it makes sense when you think about it. Nobody comes to the conclusion that religion is not needed to worship God without being knowledgeable about it in the first place. It is not like there are atheists studying the bible all day trying to find flaws in it. The flaws in it are easy to see for most people that have been raised on it and actually have studied it through Sunday school, bible class, catechism, VBS, etc.
edit on 27-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

i could not have said it better...

kinda like why would a cold war soviet pilot defect to the west? ( bad analogy i know) but anyway, he used to live under a dictatorship! thats why...he knew first hand from experience it was a bad deal and wanted to get out!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I was in Bosnia too right after the air campaign. Not only was religion involved, but lots of ethnic and political groups. I remember there were so many different people killing each other that it really blew my mind and showed me that "evil" is not a red demon fallen angel making people do bad things, it is the flipside of human nature.

It is too bad most people do not know there was even a war there nowadays. It is one that alot can be learned from. Sadly it will go down as just another "forgotten" war. o7 my friend.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

i am also an agnostic deist, which means i believe there is a creator, that cannot be comprehended in its entirety in our current form, that means from our five senses and our way of thinking and relating to the world and universe we cannot completely comprehend all the facets of the creator, it is humanly impossible...it has been attempted and it always falls short.

and knuckle bump!

Yep, that makes the most sense to me. Have you read Thomas Paine? (one of our Founding Fathers).....he does a great job explaining it.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

NPR is probably one of the MOST balanced, intelligent news sources out there.
Thanks for posting the link!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join