It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

some of you computer builders irk me...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Did that too. I build computers.

Come on guys...

Think I haven't already thought of these things?

Least when I build them, I don't make them like AREA 51.

edit on 27-4-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
You didn't build your own computer? (maybe I read that wrong)

edit on 27-4-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
looks like you went full retard on your tower.

congrats?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

please for your own safety leave the power supply alone because it can still hold a large charge and with your photo evidence I'm not sure its in your best interest to be messing around with something that could potentially kill you. With that said i have had friends who build computers that have done stuff just like you did. But he was 16 at the time and knew how to mess around with it, you could be the very same way don't know so i posted the warning anyway

A++ books can help but it doesn't kill the instinct telling you to destroy
edit on 27-4-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

When you build your computers do you usually use Elmer's Glue and Scotch Tape. . .. ?

I have to admit, this is definitely the first time I have ever heard of anyone using a Hammer to remove parts from the old PC.

Do the parts that you removed still work? Sometimes the parts do not work quite as well after they have suffered a shock from a Hammer.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
You didn't build your own computer? (maybe I read that wrong)

edit on 27-4-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

I do build computers.

When I have the time.

This one, I didn't build.

But I was trying to get to the parts on that computer.

It is being a royal pain in the side.

And yes. First thing I did. Was unscrew all the screws.

lol

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Yep, still works.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Wow. Great thread, MH. Yeh, I've looked in on your computer threads before. I've also sat in on a couple of advanced software conversations with you, and I can confirm for these guys that you do indeed build your own.

But you're right about one thing: Sometimes computer disassembly is 'way overcomplicated. I've been tempted a couple of times to do exactly what you've done there--and I have been guilty of some degree of brute force. But, boy--that's a beauty.

I don't know what to say about those tabs; that thing should slide out of there like it's on buttered rails when you squeeze those. But they have teeny-tiny steel tabs that fit into the screw-holes on the sides of the DVD drive (in place of screws). If your . . . ahem . . . unfocused approach has caused them to come out of their holes, the DVD drive could now be wedged and near-impossible to move. My technique at this point would involve taking some strong pliers and cranking those little rails out past the DVD to release it. You may have to use a self-threading screw to refresh the screw-holes on the DVD drive before you can use them again....

edit on 4/27/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Yeah, I got pliers. I'll do that tomorrow after I get back from work. If the pliers don't work. I'm going full scale crazy on it.

I'm going to get that DVD if kills me.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Wow. Great thread, MH. Yeh, I've looked in on your computer threads before. I've also sat in on a couple of advanced software conversations with you, and I can confirm for these guys that you do indeed build your own.

But you're right about one thing: Sometimes computer disassembly is 'way overcomplicated. I've been tempted a couple of times to do exactly what you've done there--and I have been guilty of some degree of brute force. But, boy--that's a beauty.

I don't know what to say about those tabs; that thing should slide out of there like it's on buttered rails when you squeeze those. But they have teeny-tiny steel tabs that fit into the screw-holes on the sides of the DVD drive (in place of screws). If your . . . ahem . . . unfocused approach has caused them to come out of their holes, the DVD drive could now be wedged and near-impossible to move. My technique at this point would involve taking some strong pliers and cranking those little rails out past the DVD to release it. You may have to use a self-threading screw to refresh the screw-holes on the DVD drive before you can use them again....

edit on 4/27/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

building computers is the hardware aspect not a software aspect so having detailed discussion on software related issues really doesn't factor in to one ability with hardware. Actually amazed that the picture of the destroyed computer wasn't on carpet which helped the ops stance slightly. one static electric charge from your finger has the ability to destroy components. the dust didn't help because all you need to do is slide the panel on the tower and clean the dust with proper tools your fans will thank you plus it helps keeps things from burning out. Didn't look to tricked out, no liquid cooling system, actually I didn't look for graphic cards, or a solid state hard drive. Next time let me build it

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

That's why I'm not too worried about it.

I just want the drives.

and the ASUS ribbon and the memory.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
and I can confirm for these guys that you do indeed build your own.

Maybe as an amateur or a hobbyist. No experienced computer builder would've destroyed a tower like that. An experienced computer builder would've known how to get that tower apart, and the components out without destroying the tower.

Just wow.

**EDIT** Those tabs on the DVD drive get sticky sometimes. Just be patient with them. You may have to use a flat-head screwdriver to assist the tabs in unlocking the DVD drive so it will slide out.

I can't tell if those are push tabs or pull tabs from the picture, so try both ways.

edit on 27-4-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If you just want the DVD out of the drive all you need is a paper clip. There is usually a real small hole on the front side of the drive. Unfold a paper clip and stick one end into the hole with just a small amount of force. That should release the tray allowing you to slide it out.
edit on 27-4-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It was worth getting out of bed today just to read this...seriously

Most of my stuff is tooless but a screwdriver is required to attach the clippy rails to the devices & then they just slide right in.
I did set a pair of clips too far back the other day & had to use a screwdriver to pinch them so I could get the thing out to reposition them. I live & learn.

Thank you for this...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Oh... wow! Dude... really.

What went through your head before doing that?

But I get it... this is a clear case of "The beatings will continue until morale improves" wow...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This thread made my day, oh the times i wanted to give the hammer treatment to a stubborn pc case (never did cause I've always managed to take apart, and its tough to explain hammer damage to a client) So So funny...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It was going in the garbage anyway.

I don't care about the damage.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've had a few of those tab typed drives get jammed on me, it's not hard to put a little excess force and jam it up. Try pinching the tabs and working it back and fourth, a long flat head screw driver will also come in handy, you could easily bend the drive enclosure enough to create a gap in the metal to release the pressure and get the drive out.

You don't exactly have to worry about the functionality of that case anymore

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

Case or no case...

It will still work.

Bet it won't overheat. Especially with all the air supply it's getting now.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join