It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft ditches Messenger for skype... Not if i can help it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Recently Microsoft retired windows messenger, and turned to Skype... dispite the protest of many customers

Now I disliked messenger, it was nothing but a pain in the... well you know

BUT..

I HATE Skype... it sucks, period

I hate the interface, I hate the look.... I hate it all!!

Can't frickin stand it!

And now wish I had MSN once again.... But wait...

There is a fix!

You can have windows messenger back again!

Go here >>>------> messengergeek.wordpress.com...

Download Messenger Reviver 2... Install...

Tadaa!!

Messenger is back....

thank me later...

edit on 27-4-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
skype is a piece of crap, windows live, messenger,hotmail, ect is a piece of crap..

Gmail, googlechat, google hangout all do more and work better and are more seamlessly integrated with more options then all of the above. Oh and did i mention, FREE. There are lots of things you cant do with the above without paying that google allows you to do for free and it all works better hands down.

The only reason microsoft is even around anymore is because of the windows OS which I do use only because it has more support then linux but I still use linux for some things like servers, backtrack, ect.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Actually I loved MSN Messenger. I know it had its problems, but I looked around and saw nothing else that appealed to me nearly as much. I used to use it daily and I miss it badly. The look, the smilies, the winks, the ease of use and the options it allowed you. The Skype chat indeed sucks! I hope this install works...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I've had my Hotmail account since I was like 15... I refuse to let it go...

I agree with you though... I hate both of them

but I got my stupid msn back

And I'm no longer forced to download the bloody update for Skype

so Im happy

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Trillian is good, you can use it for every IM program there is even facebook etc, one program and i have logged in 12different accounts, i use to run multiple msns gtalks icq etc, so this fits it all into a nice little IM program, think Pidgin is similar, and no skype for me
, though it does have a skype thing built into it i believe so you can talk to skype contacts but you dont have to actually use skype like its requiring now

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneCloudHopper2

why does the skype chat sucks? I mean... its a chat? lol... what else you want it to do? cook dinner? Type message... receive message... great.

I'm serious btw... I mean... what makes it suck?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I'm lost in this thread. What do these magical things do?

chat programs?

Really? In a world full of chat programs.. i'm still lost.

oh well, email and irc. it's all I've ever needed and all I'll ever use. Guess I don't need the smilies and winks and sound effects.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Im a creature of habit...

And I don't like change...

Its ugly... and annoying...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I have always liked gaim / pidgin, something small. Something that handles all the old favourites, icq, aol, msn, yahoo etc/ What most of us hate is the needless bloat that comes with the latest flavour.

And the first plum to say 'our computers are powerful enough now, we have enough ram now'; may leave the discussion. Because, that is not the point.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Thank you! I was so annoyed when they got rid of MSN, I've used it for the past 10 years and I didn't want to lose it. The reviver worked great

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

why does the skype chat sucks? I mean... its a chat? lol... what else you want it to do? cook dinner? Type message... receive message... great.

I'm serious btw... I mean... what makes it suck?

I'm not sure where to begin. I think I was spoiled by MSN Messenger. Its text could be enlarged, the font changed, etc., for style as well as ease of read (especially while reading the screen at a distance while I worked on a creative project.) It had many smilies and you could upload your own. A good friend of mine and I enjoyed posting familiar smilies, which we really liked. The winks were fun (some funny, some spooky but silly, but all expressive.) One version had a drawing feature, which made it even more expressive. There was a handy 'nudge' option, which was helpful when my friend was away from the computer, or I was, and something important needed to be communicated (or if one of us fell asleep at the computer lol) Also, I just liked the look of it. It didn't have a cheap or commercial look that I noticed of other messenger-type services. I liked pretty much everything about it actually lol

The Skype chat is a very, very basic chat which takes me back to the old days of Internet chat rooms. Only, it's even worse, as the text is so small and my eyesight isn't that good. I have reading glasses but they hurt my eyes after a while. So many of the fun perks of MSN Messenger have been removed.

I guess it would be like having a meeting that you go to every Saturday (whether it be a veterans meeting or community meeting, whatever,) and having coffee and snacks, as well as a large and warm (heated) environment, and then losing those perks when you're forced to have the get-together in a smaller, colder space with no perks. Of course you're going to miss the much better option.

And besides all the good stuff that you miss, you tend to get familiar to something that you get used to. It becomes a part of your life, whether it's a room or a chat service. I'm sick and tired of everything changing. All the YouTube changes (pretty much always for the worst,) Hotmail changing to Outlook, different programs of mine changing and thus forcing me to research the changes and how to remove toolbars, etc. which are downloaded without my knowledge or permission, etc. When I find something I like, I really hate to see it changed or taken away. So much crap online all looks and operates the same. To me, MSN Messenger was something different than the norm and a pleasurable part of my day after work, etc.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

It does work! Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this! I hope it lasts!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Ok, hehe... I guess you have your points
Like I said I just treat like a chat - send message - receive message.

But regarding skype, well you cant beat its audio quality with msn and since this is all moving towards a more interactive approach to connectivity among users allowing not only 1-2-1 conversations but also large communities and conversations with multiple users at the same time without quality loss, skype is the most stable platform with the highest quality out there for civilian use for free.

That along with facebook, linkedin and google make one hell of a network for you to share stuff, chat, have a 1-2-1 call or a giant conference with a single touch of a button. Skype's tech is good thats why MS bought it... (before google did lol)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Yeah, but if I wanted to do the Skype thing (cam to cam) I would sign up for Skype. I don't like how they try to force us into these things. Most people are camera shy and they would never want to do the Skype thing anymore than everyone on Facebook would want a YouTube account (which is what YouTube wants I think (considering how Facebook-like they are making their website, and connecting to it.) I wish they'd just leave us alone lol I've come close to shutting down my Facebook account numerous times because it's so nosy and connects all of the sites that I go to. I try to remember to always clear cookies after signing out of Facebook, but it seems that if you forget one time a cookie will track you and connect to all your sites. I really dislike the aggressive, disrespectful way that these online companies do business. That's how I feel anyway.

I just wanted MSN Messenger for chat and chat only.
edit on 27-4-2013 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join