It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important ! Post Quality.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It's great to see so many new members here on ATS and so many posts but I just want to remind all members that the high reputation that abovetopsecret.com has as the premier discussion board on the internet was built by quality rather than quantity alone.

ATS and it's sister sites, belowtopsecret, ATSNN, and Terror Analysis (all links at the head of this page) receive extraordinary traffic of between thirty and forty thousand unique users every day.These visitors come here because of the high quality discussion of diverse subjects as well as the alternative analysis of current events by our great members.

I just wanted to remind all members of the importance of maintaining that high quality which ensures that the views you express here get a larger audience than any other general discussion board on the internet.

A few simple rules to bear in mind;

1/ One Liners. Please do not post one line topics or replies.We want to hear your opinion but please make the effort to say something original.All opinions are unique.We want to hear yours expressed in full.

2/ Quoting. Please do not quote excessively.a) edit out that which is not relevant to the point you wish to make and b) make a point. Don't just quote a passage and add "I agree."

3/ Posting Links Please don't just post a link without any comment.These "blind" links are infuriating.Please take the time to write about the link and paste a paragraph or two.This way members and visitors know what they are linking to.

4/ Copy and Paste Please do not simply copy and paste large tracts of imformation from other sites on ATS. This is against our Terms and Conditions and for good reason, not least it shows a lack of respect for the original author. By all means copy and paste a paragraph or two with a link to the original so that the author is credited and also add something original of yours.

5/ Editing You can edit your posts and add extra text.If no one has replied since you last posted, please do this rather than making a new reply.

6/ Images Please don't just post a picture without any comment. A picture should supplement a post and not be the sum total of it.

7/ Searching We do have a search feature where members can find threads on a wide range of topics but the searching I'm really talking about here is the simply looking at the recent topics already in the forum you want to post in. Please just check that someone hasn't already started a topic.Please ask yourself if the point you want to make can be just as well a reply to an existing topic rather than a new one.

If you are a new member and you just haven't had the time to check out the Terms and Conditions and other rules of ATS yet please do so.

It's in everybody's interest that discussion on abovetopsecret.com remains of the highest quality. It's the difference between screaming incoherently in the wilderness and broadcasting an eloquent whisper. No one hears the scream, everyone hears the whisper.

JB1

[edit on 4-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
on the reminder, in the post-election frenzy I think many of us, myself included, have lapsed into lesser quality due to snap reactions based on our emotions and political affiliations.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I am guilty also I have done the quoting and the one liners so I will do my best for now on.

Thanks for the reminder.
I should know better by now.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think we all understand that mate and we're all a little guilty.

I just didn't want everyone to forget and then we'd have to have a spate of warns to get back on track.

This is the nice reminder approach.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Completely agree John Bull, and will try to not be guilty of any of those things. But why so many "upped" threads? It took me forever to even realize the was a new one people were posting in.."hrmm...John Bull 1 posted last, but he didnt post in the newest thread...OH! he made a new upped thread"any way any of those could be combined so there wouldnt be so many of them?

---pineapple

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I guess it would be just a little too much to expect people to at least attempt the proper use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. The more time wears on, the more justified I will be in blaming the sad state of the US education system, and less the individual.

However, this 'internet-ese' system of abbreviations and deliberate misspellings never fails to make a person seem completely retarded.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
DeltaChaos, hey I am latina ok english is not my first language so don't be hard on me.

I try to do my best, now you got me crying.

sorry I miss spell inglish

[edit on 103030p://444 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Marg, your English is still better than many members'. Please don't feel bad because of my complaint. Those who have grown up speaking English and claim it as their primary language SHOULD FEEL BAD!!!

If your original language is something other than English, then my criticism doesn't apply. If you speak and read a language other than the one you grew up with, then good for you. I don't know any language other than English, myself.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I prefer good grammar and spelling. In fact, I'm more likely to read a post if it is written well.

But ideas are more important than how they are presented.

I wouldn't want anyone to think that poor spelling barred them from posting.

The internet is about communicating ideas.

EDIT: Edited for grammar and spelling

[edit on 4-11-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
4/ Copy and Paste Please do not simply copy and paste large tracts of imformation from other sites on ATS. This is against our Terms and Conditions and for good reason, not least it shows a lack of respect for the original author. By all means copy and paste a paragraph or two with a link to the original so that the author is credited and also add something original of yours.

The most common transgression I see is the copy and paste, new members may be doing it without realizing the Terms and Conditions, but there are a fair number of seasoned members who persist in this technique, and try to further obfuscate their post's origin by putting material in italics or bold (or some combination of the two). If you have been a member for two months (much less two years) and have not mastered the art of BB Code tagging, please u2u me, I will explain how and/or edit your content free of charge.

Please note, your not fooling anyone, I see members who cant spell their Mood correctly, but can produce 5,000 word posts on an arcane subject sans errors. Please. I belong to ATS because I want to know what YOU are thinking (if I wanted someone elses content, I would be there). Give me a short quote (properly formatted), and a link to substantiate or support you beliefs/points/assertions.

Edit: Because it's all about quality...

[edit on 4/11/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thank you very much for putting this up, John. The only one I've crossed a couple times was the quoting rule. Sometimes you just get lazy, eh? But what really annoys me is when people post two posts in the same subject in a row which are usually one-liners instead of combining them into one.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think it was a good idea to alert the new users here on ATS, I made several mistakes but now I've managed to shorten my posts into more concise responses, which is something every new person should know.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
yes alotta new members and i am happy...

great job JB1!!!

also new members, check out ALL the rules and etc...

gth

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Yes. My first post was off-topic one liner and I feel very informed now and ashamed as well. Thank you.

Ps. What are the points for? Are you competing?

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by gth
Ps. What are the points for? Are you competing?

gth, you must be an agent

A handful of post's and you got the point system nailed!

j/k *grabs laptop enters safe room, intrafrasticly*

Sanc'.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Please note, your not fooling anyone, I see members who cant spell their Mood correctly, but can produce 5,000 word posts on an arcane subject sans errors. Please. I belong to ATS because I want to know what YOU are thinking (if I wanted someone elses content, I would be there). Give me a short quote (properly formatted), and a link to substantiate or support you beliefs/points/assertions.

It is pretty funny when a new poster's voice changes from Kindergartener to Pulitzer Prize winner mid post. That's a red flag for a plagiarism check. And you will be busted. Not because we're mean, just protecting ourselves.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
As to the shortness or length of the post, the same should be said about the loooong posts which are boring and one might need a day to not only read but to digest such posts...

I too am guilty of short posts or one liners and will correct it, i just dont want to go on and on knowing full well that someone will come back and debunk word for word everything ive stated and want FURTHER explanation, more links, etc.

My position as far as government issues is indeed a one liner- Dont trust it and what can you post or say that hasnt been said before and hasnt been debunked to death!

Anyhow, i will try my best.....

gth

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Sanctum.. Yeah, well it's the Xmas holidays so I've got time to be here..

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
i am a new one here,but my english is so poor,so i just can say a little
simple english.But i will do my best to improve my English level,so i can
comprehend what you say here.please trust me!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I admit to guilt on many of these points, why deny it? Live and learn.

Issues:

effective communications are indeed the goal here...and tho i stand as a "communications freedom fighter" understand the rules are in place to maintain certain quality standards.

GRAMMAR/SPELLING;
Questions as to a posters grammar and spelling are RUDE and i have seen this idea used as a weapon to attack anothers post. The level of education in english cant be assumed for anyone, even those who's primary language is english. Be kind to each other here and lighten up....as long as the idea of what is being said is communicated from one to another, then intelligent conversations can continue despite some mutilations of words/punctuation. (i call it mangalish...mangaling the english language) Ive purposly left IN these kind of errors just to aggravate the other person...LOL, if your gonna take a cheap shot at someones diction, then you deserve a big taste of it.

LENGTH OF POSTS;
while one liners are not approved speech here, sometimes the less said the better.
BUT
long posts might boor some of you, but occasionally things need to be said in detail....the length of the post is irrelavent to me as it will ultimatly make a point/s or wont be able to...despite its length.

dgtempe says,

i just dont want to go on and on knowing full well that someone will come back and debunk word for word everything ive stated and want FURTHER explanation, more links, etc.
Your on the wrong website then id say. some easy solutions to your problem would be....dont post stuff that can be debunked so easily, work on your position before just posting things with "holes" in your position. Also, if your posts leads others to ask questions and want more info...BE PROUD, they are listening to what you have to say, even if their calling you out for something tangible to back up your position.
denial of ignorance requires CREDIBILLITY! I personally hate posts alleging all sorts of things with no "evidence" to back up wild acqusations.

PLAGERISM;
While plagerism shows a posters lack of abillity to communicate, it does at least show they understand the topic and can do something to "support" their position, even if it means "ripping off" someone elses work. I do NOT support plagerism, but as a professional communicator, i understand that not everyone can express themselves at the same level...so as long as i can see that a person plagerizing is getting the CONCEPT of the ideas being talked about, then they are at least trying to learn/participate with their brains, tho in a "cheap" way.

Lets not fall into the trap of "intellectual elitism", where communications themselves are a tool for discrimination and use as a weapon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join