It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief in God, Yet Ridicule in Conspiracy Theories?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
But religion is "respected" and "sacred" and cannot be touched by those who question it.

Conspiracy theories are constantly being put down even when they are valid questions and very part of the real world.

But [insert your conspiracy here] is "respected" and "sacred" and cannot be touched by those who question it....(both sides)...

Your thinking can be applied overall. To religious, agnostic, conspiracy theorist, etc.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I have seen many, many conspiracy theory believers on ATS mocking belief in God.
Why is it any worse when it happens the other way round?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Dear DarknStormy,

More excellent work! I'm going to have to start studying under you.

Let's say the Zionists and other Jews rule the world from Israel. When Israel and Jerusalem are all safe and secure under Zionist control, the end times begin. Assume that all happens. What am I supposed to do? Pray harder? Try to escape the end of the world?

Assume 9-11 was an inside job. Even it wasn't, I'll keep voting jerks out of office, but what else can I do?

Assume Aliens are abducting people. Is there any way I can either attract them or keep them away?

Assume any conspiracy you like, and I'll find myself unable to stop it, expose it, or seriously defend against it.

My fear is that I'm completely wrong about that, but I haven't seen a conspiracy yet that I can do anything about. I suppose that makes me a "sheep?"

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
To me it seems quite obvious!

Conspiracy theories AND religion are beliefs that there is a bigger, higher power than oneself.
That actually some one, or some thing, is "in charge", control, pulling all the strings, "in the know".

Many humans embrace such beliefs because it is soothing- it calms the apprehension of unknown, chaos, and responsibility.

Even if the percieved "power" is seen as malevolent, it still means there is some sort of hope- perhaps we could steal the power from that entity? Or we could enter their circle of friends or club and be protected by the huge power? If it is possible for one entity to have that power, it might be possible for another to have it and oppose them!

For some, these are still preferable possibilities to the concept that we each may be faced with a reality which always has an "unknown" factor to it- chaos- and that there is no escape from our choice to create with it.

This is the security of passivity- handing all soveriegnty and power to another entity- whether it be another person, a government, a secret society, a deity, an organized religion..... to percieve one is under the dominance of another power and without the responsibility of choice.

So you can also have people disagree on who that big all knowing power is.

This conflict you question is like the arguments kids get into, on whose daddy is strongest!

It is normal that some people want to believe their God is stronger than any government or human agency (therefore kissing up to Him can make you definitively "safe". )

Others find it more soothing to believe that the power resides in a human, or group of humans, because hat makes it a power that can possibly be taken by another human or group.

Each belief has it's particular good sides to it!

edit on 27-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I just realized something very baffling.

How can people faithfully believe in their religion, yet completely deny any validity in conspiracy theories?

Or do these go hand in hand? Are these people just incapable of rational thinking?

At least conspiracy theories deal with something that can be tested and observed.

Ok so let me get this strait. You pick religion to make your case about in a forum where oh I dunno, everyone questions everything and most here would agree at least 90+% of the stuff posted here needs scrutiny.....(largely copy pasta from msm, through parroted behavior from books or movies)Then further go on to make religious folks seem like they're the ones who're incapable of rationality?

i mean you do realize, the vast majority of the US population doesn't even come here. Let alone subscribe to "theories" and lines of questioning (right along with the insane amount of hyper-paranoia) involved . I'm just sayin. if youre posting on a conspiracy web site, your beef probably isn't with religion, so.... its probably a good idea to not waste your time dumping on people who mean you no harm at all. That is unless you consider people who pray for your well being a threat.

Ill leave it to you to figure out though. Good luck.
edit on 27-4-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Ah Dan, I've said it before, but I'll say it again- I am always just tickled by your witty use of words!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don't believe in any conspiracy theory I have ever seen on ATS, yet am a proud Christian. I have a belief in God, Christ, the power of the Holy Ghost, prayer, healing, blessings....all the trappings of a faithful believer. The difference in my religious faith and my conspiracy scoffing is best said by Paul:

Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
(emphasis mine)

When you have faith in God and Christ you have HOPE for things that are better than what is available now. This includes the present (through prayer, blessings, and living like Christ taught, making the world a better place that you are in it) and the future (life after death in a paradise.)

I have yet to see a conspiracy here that is a hope for something better. They all are doom, gloom, and an expectation of losing something, such as life, health, wealth, freedom, and rights.

Do conspiracy believers have "hope"? Not that I can see, although there seems to be a hope that something happens just to prove they were right.

As far as evidence, being a religious person, I know what I believe is true because I see things happen in my life that are good and joyful. It's hard to tell a non-believer what that feels like, but to me it is very, very real. It is something spiritual...I know it is real and it is enough.

Conspiracy theories to me only require some thing to prove their veracity. Something empirical, some legitimate paper trail. But conspiracy believers have only their faith to present...they know it is true because they believe it is true, despite hard evidence to the contrary.

That for me is not enough.
And apples to road apples.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

How can people faithfully believe in their religion, yet completely deny any validity in conspiracy theories?

Or do these go hand in hand? Are these people just incapable of rational thinking?

At least conspiracy theories deal with something that can be tested and observed.

Religion is indoctrinated through your parents.
The system and everything else is indoctrinated through your government.

People obviously trust their parents more.

This is why on my home planet we burn those who try to lead and eat our parents when they reach 45.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit
Because faith in God is a belief in things unseen.

As are most conspiracy theories.

edit on 26-4-2013 by FollowTheWhiteRabbit because: (no reason given)

well, except for the proven conspiracies of:
1...iran-contra
2...Watergate
3...the CDC syphilis experiment on blacks
4...gulf of Tonkin resolution
5...the recent LIBOR scandal
6...CIA overthrow of governments in guatamala, el Salvador, and chile

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Let's say the Zionists and other Jews rule the world from Israel. When Israel and Jerusalem are all safe and secure under Zionist control, the end times begin. Assume that all happens. What am I supposed to do? Pray harder? Try to escape the end of the world?

Well there really isn't anything you can do. If it's destined to happen and cannot be changed, what can anyone really do? Just live life and hope it doesn't happen in your lifetime
Oh wait a minute... But I'll give you a hint. If Al-Aqsa Mosque mysteriously collapses, you will know it's close

Assume 9-11 was an inside job. Even it wasn't, I'll keep voting jerks out of office, but what else can I do?

Keep your guns clean and enjoy life

Assume Aliens are abducting people. Is there any way I can either attract them or keep them away?

If they want you they will come and get you, it doesn't work the other way around lol

Assume any conspiracy you like, and I'll find myself unable to stop it, expose it, or seriously defend against it.

But you can be aware of it and that is more important than anything else

fear is that I'm completely wrong about that, but I haven't seen a conspiracy yet that I can do anything about. I suppose that makes me a "sheep?"

With respect,
Charles1952

Your not the only one. How many people can you say have proven any conspiracy and gone on to save the world or something along the lines? The only ones who warned us pid with their lives. It's all about being aware within yourself..
edit on 27-4-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by charles1952
Probably not much sense in offering this particular opinion, but for me, there is more evidence for Chritianity then for most conspiracy theories. Further, conspiracy theories are far less important.

Well it depends what ones you persue. Some say the Zionists rule the world along with Israel and with that, the bible says the antichrist will rule in Jesrusalem and Israel will be united in the last days etc (It's just an example more than what the bible actually says). So I agree that some conspiracies may not be relevant but there are a few that shouldn't be shunned either especially when it comes to world politics. Connections can be made with ease in some cases.

Forgot to mention a couple things. 1: the antichrist takes over Israel at the mid-point of Daniel's 70th week, and 2: he slaughters the Jews to the tune of 2/3 dead.
edit on 27-4-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Forgot to mention a couple things. 1: the antichrist takes over Israel at the mid-point of Daniel's 70th week, and 2: he slaughters the Jews to the tune of 2/3 dead

I understand I didn't mention the entire topic, I was just trying to show that conspiracies and religion can be connected.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Religious people don't have any problem with conspiracies. This is a troll thread.

Gotta agree with this. If you need an example, go chat with Murgatroid.

In other news, the world is officially ending. I can tell because I actually agreed with NOTurTypical without a long-winded argument preceding it.

edit on 27-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

This concept works in the reverse, as well... as in, how can we accept the possibilities of aliens; life elsewhere in the universe and know full well that we really don't know very much at all about all that is around us while, at the same time, deny the existence of a life force that may have been behind our very existence and capable of rendering what might still today be considered miracles?

I recall arguing this from the other side once with a group of devout faithful who were quick to deny UFOs and ET. I ask, how do you believe in an omnipotent spirit being who created the universe and all that's in it in six days, but turn away from the possibility that this same being created other races besides our own?

It was when I began considering the nature of how this works in both directions that I finally grasp the contradictory nature of accepting the possibility of one and not the other. Moreover, taking into considering the times in which most religious tomes were authored, any ET capable of landing on this planet and interacting with the primitive humans of the time, would almost undoubtedly be seen as a god.

This kind of rounds the bend and circles back to come home again because it really defines us as a species; we choose what we believe less on the available evidence and more to whatever happens to be trending at the moment. We must generate peer acceptance by way of marching to the beat of the same drum no matter where it leads us. This explains how we can become so loyal to something so shallow as politics, as well.

It's a vast and as yet unknown universe all around us. To deny the existence of anything at this point... is arrogant assumption.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

But religion is "respected" and "sacred" and cannot be touched by those who question it.

Conspiracy theories are constantly being put down even when they are valid questions and very part of the real world.

Hi and let me first welcome you to ATS because you must be new, everyone here and especially Christians touch and question religion, Apologetics is set up as a testing ground for religions.

Now as for your premise about conspiracy theories, most Christians read the book of Daniel and revelations et all,and they concern prophecies detailing the worlds demise. Think most non believers deny conspiracies
New International Version (©2011) a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed. Almost sounds like Fukashima??? maybe meteor/comet???
NWO...Biblical prophecy www.jeremiahproject.com...

but there is so much more yet you dont see it.
I would say God bless but as you sound like an atheist...good luck.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Lots of Christians believe in conspiracy theory......the NNWO is normally seen as the catalyst that will bring the antichrist to power......

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The term faith says it all.... faith in something suggests you believe but do not need physical proof or empirical evidence in that belief. I would also suggest that those who feel the need seek physical proof lack in faith....

Belief in a conspiracy should be much like faith, but in this case people dig for anything remotely associated with their conspiracy and claim it is solid proof. We could have 10,000 engineers deny something can physically happen but all that person needs is one self proclaim engineer that says it did happen and that is undeniable proof for them, as example.

So there is little in common between the two, but I do wish conspiracy theorists would adopt the faith part that religion has to be more inline as to what they really have towards their conspiracies.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Very interesting question because I've allways wondered that as well. I have sometimes thought that if a person believes in God, is he aloud to believe in aliens? Or does that contradict one another? And if aliens do exist are they demons....I'm confused..
edit on 27-4-2013 by Thisbseth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

edit on 27-4-2013 by Thisbseth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

The average person simply believes what the majority of other people believe. Hate to use the word sheep but it is a sheep mentality.

The majority of Americans believe God's son walked the earth and was crucified, exited his grave 3 days later and will return to the earth one day. Wow, if that wasn't a commonly excepted story it could be considered pure craziness.I would think though that if people believe in all that and the world ending etc... they would believe there's evil in the world (i.e. the Government) but they don't. Seems contradictive. To me it seems the majority of people are stubborn and closed minded and in all honestly scared of going against popular opinion. You could say the majority of the world is sick in the mind if you look at it as a whole.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join