It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireworks Show Prompts Some In Manhattan To Fear A Terrorist Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A late-night charity fireworks show on Manhattan’s West Side on Thursday night had residents fearing they were under attack.

It started late, at 10 p.m., and as CBS 2’s Hazel Sanchez reported Friday, many people were caught off guard.

As revelers aboard the Intrepid enjoyed fireworks lighting up the sky above the Hudson River, blasts echoed through West Side neighborhoods, leaving many residents fearing the worst.

newyork.cbslocal.com...

I might be able to understand this if this were Boston, and the people who were at the Marathon, but New York?

What is wrong with this country?

Jumping at your own shadows, thinking your under attack from a firework's display?

America your really disappointing me as of late get it together land of the free home of the "brave".

How about start acting like it?

Never let fear rule you

Rule your fears..

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I understand why people are nervous and jumpy. It was in the news this morning that those 2 brothers were planning on coming to New York next...so people being afraid and upset I think is to be expected.

Also...I think many are wondering...when some major event happens next in their city ...when there is a large crowd involved...who is in that crowd... and will they be safe; considering all that has happened... I think this is normal.

However...I still think it is healthy for people to go on with their lives and still hope and pray for the best.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

When people start looking at others as an "enemy" or "terrorist" that's not a place I would ever want to live or even visit.

Actually that is the goal of terrorism to instill fear to turn people against each other some like to say that is when they "win".

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I might be able to understand this if this were Boston, and the people who were at the Marathon, but New York?

Because NYC was supposedly next on the list after Boston?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

When people start looking at others as an "enemy" or "terrorist" that's not a place I would ever want to live or even visit.

Actually that is the goal of terrorism to instill fear to turn people against each other some like to say that is when they "win".

I do understand your point...and I think over time (hopefully) for many the fear will lessen; and they will realize they just need to be extra cautious.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by redtic

So?

After all the bomber is in custody, and the other is dead.

Besides they do have de Furher Bloomberg making them "safe".
edit on 26-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I do understand your point...and I think over time (hopefully) for many the fear will lessen; and they will realize they just need to be extra cautious.

Better do it before the 4th of July then I can only imagine what would happen if they don't.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I get what you're saying... and no, people shouldn't go running for cover over some mere firework explosions.

But I disagree with the fact that you would, "understand if it were Boston."

Obviously that statement makes sense, but compared to NYC. it's understandable why some may be weary over certain things. Remember, New York City is no stranger to 'terrorist' attacks. Also, Times-Square was reportedly on the Boston Bombers 'hit-list'. These are stressful times, I guess. People are a little more cautious of their surroundings. As they should be. Especially in the 'Big City'.

But then again, you're correct. Not over fireworks. It's proactive to be observant and aware. But you shouldn't let your heightened senses get the better of you. Prematurely hitting the Panic-Switch;.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Boo!

I lit a sparkler.............

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I read this and I wonder how many citizens understand that one day a big wind called blowback will arrive.

Many fears are born of the subconscious mind. We sometimes profess the opposite of our worst fears to try and contain those fears. Denying what your country is doing while deep seated honesty knows the real truth.

Waiting, waiting, knowing that blowback will come one day!

The damn stress could get you first!

P

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
And yet many still state that the terrorists will never win.

Their job is to instill fear. Mission accomplished.

Now the REAL question is when will people realize that the REAL terrorists are the ones that aren't from overseas?

Peace

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by redtic

So?

After all the bomber is in custody, and the other is dead.

Besides they do have de Furher Bloomberg making them "safe".
edit on 26-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, yeah, I get it - don't let the terrorists win, be tough, send em a message. But the reality is that just 2 short weeks ago we had the biggest terrorist incident in the US since 9/11. No one knows how this will affect other potential terrorists - and, to be sure, there are others like the Tsarnaev brothers out there - nor if they truly did act alone or part of a larger network. I can't say that I'd react the same way over fireworks in the current atmosphere or not - but it's certainly understandable that someone would living in perhaps the highest potential target city for a terror plot.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I can relate a tiny, tiny bit...

I lived on one side of Brooklyn that never had fireworks, only very low flying planes. I lived on the top floor of a high rise and I used to lay in bed with my shades wide open and watch the planes as it always looked like it coming right towards me, that was until 9/11, then it outright scared the crap outta me and I wasnt comfortable....

Fast forward, I moved to the other side of Brooklyn and the first time I heard fireworks, I went bats*^t crazy thinking the shtf, all these rumbles and booms I was a nervous wreck not knowing wth was going on, and this was a monday or tuesday night after 10pm, totally not a normal time for fireworks! Threw me off! The next two or three times were the same thing until I got used to it....

So all I can say is it could be a part of the city that normally doesnt see or experience fireworks

Edit to add, sometimes the local news would say if fireworks are going to happen and where, but most of the time you wont know until its happening or unless you are at the event.
edit on 26-4-2013 by WeBrooklyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2013 by WeBrooklyn because: typo

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Hint...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

No, no no!! People do not need to be extra cautious.
This is nonsense, what has gotten into us?

Neo is right, terrorism is instilling fear, and last I checked it's the media playing Boston coverage 24/7 including hundreds if not thousands of replays of bombs going off. That is terrorism! The fear will not lessen. It will increase, as designed.

Snap out of it, people. Three people died. it's horrible for those affected, but somewhere in America more people died in a single car wreck today that could have been prevented.

Seeing the word "terrorism" pop up ad-nauseam in your (not you specifically caladonea) writings shows just how much control you are allowing the media to have on your lives.

Turn off the "news" - don't visit MSM websites - for your own good, because what they are doing is not good for you.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Ok... that cartoon sums it up doesn't it?

Thing is.. there is always that 28% of people that are completely clueless. No matter what happens there is that 28% give or take that will mock it, take offense or be scared of it.

What can you do?

Can't make some people be aware of their surroundings. Can't make everyone liive without fear.

And there will always be that 28% give or take that will disagree with what I am saying right now.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

There is a fine line between being 'extra cautious' and being paranoid. It's a good thing to be aware of your surroundings. Being aware of the situation in any circumstance is definitely a plus. There is nothing wrong with that. Because if some rogue 'attacker' has a sudden compulsion to "f*** s*** up," he's going to do it... These guys roll incognito, their intent is to 'shock and awe' a population with the element of surprise. Obviously. Knowing what to look for is typically the only weapon a standard civilian has against such tactics.

You shouldn't live your entire life in fear of 'terrorist attacks'... But consider yourself armed, if you can at least spot a potential threat in a large crowd of people. And rationally determine if said 'threat' is reason to leave the vicinity. You probably wouldn't regret it.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Well said - This whole thing will have way too many people on the paranoid side of the fence, but I'm in full agreement with your post. There's never a reason not to be situationally aware.

At the current rate and depth of media coverage, Americans will start showing widespread signs of PTSD usually seen from combat vets. It's concerning.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
There was absolutely no evidence suggesting the Tsarnaevs were going to NY to plan another attack.

It was hearsay from when they allegedly kidnapped the SUV owner, and he claimed to hear them say they wanted to go to NYC to party. That is it. It was only until Bloomberg got hold of it and decided to claim they were going to NY for an attack.

He did this because he likes being the center of attention, and because he likes to be a control freak. This comes right after his infamous "Constitution needs to be changed" controversy...

It was absolutely never confirmed.

Fearmongering as an elected official (especially for a major population center like NY) should be a very, very serious criminal offense. Including minimum jail sentences, if necessary. I'm not exaggerating here.
edit on 26-4-2013 by guymontag because: (no reason given)

top topics

join