It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors blast ethics of $100,000 cancer drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Dear Mods, I wasn't sure which forum to place this in. Please feel free to move where it may be more appropriate.

OK. This just burns my rear. Pharmaceutical companies profiteering off of death.

First of all, most medical studies are funded with grants that are paid for by the federal government. Yet drug companies, after the research has been paid for by you and me, charge prices that are beyond what the average American is able to pay. So together, the insurance and drug companies rake in the dough off of human suffering. Because we know, the drug companies give the insurance companies a break of the prices of drugs. It is like a kick back. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Gleevac, Novaris' best-selling drug had a revenue of 4.7 billion dollars last year. That is some countries' GNP.

A group of more than 120 cancer researchers and physicians took the unusual step this week of publishing a research paper taking aim at pharmaceutical prices they see as exorbitant and unjustifiable.

Drug companies are profiteering, the doctors say, by charging whatever the market will bear for medications that patients literally can't live without.

There is more

edit on 26-4-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Could these also be the companies exposed for owning patents on genes ?

If so isnt this what we have debated and feared all along ?

Could the conspiracy theorists be proven yet again ?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If people aren't getting this med because of price, what does this mean?

Drug companies like Novartis and its rivals emphasize that it's usually insurance companies, not individual patients, bearing the costs for pricey drugs. Most U.S. patients pay less than $100 a month out of pocket for Gleevec, according to Novartis, and those who don't have coverage often qualify for free "patient assistance" giveaways. Globally, one-third of the Gleevec that Novartis produces is given away for free, the company said.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Bull puckey, the out of pocket cost for this drug for a patient on Medicare is 7 grand a month. That is the freakin copay. That means family members are dishing.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Bring British and having the NHS, Its threads like this that scare when i know they're going to privatize our healthcare through the back door.

Greed is just ruining everything.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Yes, it is so very sad. So much for austerity, huh?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

While you have a population that demands magic bullets this will continue.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   

They can likely cure cancer...

But.. The drug companies won't have it...

What a sad world we live in

:shk:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Why we need defcad:

Not just for the guns, but for leveling the playing field and transitioning towards a free market without patents on such important objects such as cancer pharmaceuticals.

ETA:

3D printers could create customised drugs on demand

edit on 27-4-2013 by beebs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by beebs

That's right. Love revolutionaries.
If only we lived in a perfect world.
That will be shutdown quicker than you can say CISPA.
No hope for the human race.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Greetings,

Drug companies are profiteering, the doctors say, by charging whatever the market will bear for medications that patients literally can't live without.

Particularly galling when you consider that the Rife technology has been proven to be a safe VERY efficient and effective method of curing cancer. Check: rife.org

Don't expect any changes since potus put one of the druggies moles in charge of the FDA.

Isn't fascism just the best thing ever?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

They can likely cure cancer...

But.. The drug companies won't have it...

What a sad world we live in

:shk:

Funny thing how that video isn't available any longer. Funny like a kitten aflame, that is...

What was the chemical? Do you remember?

I have a funny feeling that one day our folk medicine will make the transition to folklore. I don't even know why I think about this topic. I blow a minimum of 47 brain cells every flipping time.

top topics

join