Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Don't believe me? Check the violent crime rates of states with good gun laws, like Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, etc and compare them with places where guns are virtually banned.

You mean like Chicago? Yep, you can definitely see the difference.

A gun is just a tool. It can either save lives or take lives. How that tool is used depends on the type of person and the choices that person makes.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Its a lie, guns dont stop criminals.......they only kill people.......

Nope! That's only your intentional misinterpretation of facts!

People with guns often stop crimes without a shot being fired. I reckon that's normally not newsworthy, though.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
And??

A guy/gal with a knife could have stopped this guy.... someone with a catapult could have or a tazer or many other things.... but no, a magical gun did, and this one incident now proves that guns are amazing and that everyone saying otherwise is an idiot.

Morons...

Really? Someone with a catapult? Someone with another knife?

Why was the only person who stopped this guy equipped with a firearm? You realize that he was able to draw his pistol from a distance and stop the perpetrator immediately? He didn't have to risk bodily harm or escalating the issue.. He had a more effective weapon and the whackjob knew it.

You talk big, but I doubt you have the cahones to physically try to stop a man with a knife. Obviously there were a few people there, I know this store and it is very busy in a very packed part of town. Why didn't a guy with a catapult save the day?

...morons.

ETA - to you fools in the UK who think you're safer without responsible, legal gun owners... I assure you there will come a day you wish you had a way to defend yourself. Until that day, carry on being blissfully ignorant. =]

ETA x2 - This isn't to imply that all people in the UK are fools - on the contrary. I love my brothers and sisters from across the pond. I'm specifically referring to the anti-gun goonsquad on ATS who come out of the woodwork to talk against guns and responsible, legal ownership any time someone flashes the Moron Signal in the night skies. You're brainwashed and your country has more violent crime per capita than mine. You ever stop to look at the numbers and try to figure out why that is?
edit on 26-4-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

And??

A guy/gal with a knife could have stopped this guy.... someone with a catapult could have or a tazer or many other things.... but no, a magical gun did, and this one incident now proves that guns are amazing and that everyone saying otherwise is an idiot.

Morons...

You're right but no one else stepped in.

For the record, I would have used a booger.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
A gun is just a tool. It can either save lives or take lives. How that tool is used depends on the type of person and the choices that person makes.

Exactly. So let's not all get on the holy gun train here, as it's been portrayed.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Why was the only person who stopped this guy equipped with a firearm? You realize that he was able to draw his pistol from a distance and stop the perpetrator immediately? He didn't have to risk bodily harm or escalating the issue.. He had a more effective weapon and the whackjob knew it.

It's certainly the American way. Take the initiative IF you have the tactical advantage. Would this guy have pulled his weapon if he was facing another firearm? Hmm.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Being British, and totally anti gun ownership, I have to bite the bullet ( ! ! ! ) and admit this was a good result...

Safe, controlled, use of a handgun to bring to a halt what could have been a very nasty situation...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

You're right Mr. Smith. Unfortunately some people are too quick to squeeze the trigger. Adrenaline and emotions run high, that's why I'm all for anyone that wants to purchase a hand gun should have to take some sort of courses to deal with such circumstances.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

It's certainly the American way. Take the initiative IF you have the tactical advantage. Would this guy have pulled his weapon if he was facing another firearm? Hmm.

If the attacker had a firearm he may have been shot by the legal gun owner. He may also have just been disarmed. There are examples of this happening in Utah, too.

What's the Canadian way? What would you have done if a man with a knife was attacking people at your local grocery story and you didn't have the means to defend yourself?

All this American bashing, even from mods on ATS.. It really kind of makes me sick.

Examples of guns saving lives/property

www.sltrib.com...
www.keepandbeararms.com...
www.keepandbeararms.com...
www.policymic.com...

And this last one, the only major shooting I can think of in Utah, where an off-duty police officer (you need to have a CCW to carry while off duty) stopped a major shooting spree.. With, you guessed it, a firearm.

en.wikipedia.org...

I doubt most of you will even look at these cases. There are thousands more. You allow the media to brainwash you with the negative while ignoring the positive cases, both because they are hidden by the media, and by your own bias against them.. But the truth is that guns save thousands of lives each year.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

If the attacker had a firearm he may have been shot by the legal gun owner. He may also have just been disarmed. There are examples of this happening in Utah, too.

Uh-huh. And the dude may have blown away a lot of people because legal dude was too afraid to get involved.

What's the Canadian way? What would you have done if a man with a knife was attacking people at your local grocery story and you didn't have the means to defend yourself?

I think, no, KNOW, a ball bat would be extremely effective. Not as exciting as a gun but much more fun.

All this American bashing, even from mods on ATS.. It really kind of makes me sick.

I'm sorry if I impugned your sensitivities. Need a barf bag?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

And??

Morons...

There would be no way to stop him with a knife. The only way to stop him would be to get close to him, and by then, he would probably kill you. Unless you're some kind martial arts expert like Chuck Norris.

And tasers aren't exactly effective, because if you miss, you lose,

Nothing is better than a gun. Not only are they powerful, they look scary too. You don't even have to shoot, the criminal will probably just stop right their, just by seeing the gun.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Uh-huh. And the dude may have blown away a lot of people because legal dude was too afraid to get involved.

I think, no, KNOW, a ball bat would be extremely effective. Not as exciting as a gun but much more fun.

I'm sorry if I impugned your sensitivities. Need a barf bag?

Look to my earlier post, I edited with examples of gun owners stopping perpetrators armed with guns. It happens EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

So the American way is to defend yourself AND OTHERS. The Canadian way apparently involves a lot of rhetoric and crying. Same with the UK way.

And yes, I'll take that barf bag.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The Canadian apparently involves a lot of rhetoric and crying.

Come on and try. See what happens.
That's not a personal threat. It's a warning. Say that to a Canadian's face. Believe me, you'll need a gun.
edit on 26-4-2013 by intrepid because: Whatever.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

The US has 10.2 gun death per 100,000 people while Canada has 2.13. If you live there, you don't need much more than rhetoric to survive. I'm not saying "ban guns" but, for crying out loud, don't use an example like Canada to make a pro-gun argument.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

this is from 2012...would have been more topical if it was recent..

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The Canadian apparently involves a lot of rhetoric and crying.

Come on and try. See what happens.
That's not a personal threat. It's an open one. Say that to a Canadian's face. Believe me, you'll need a gun.

And now threats..

Actually one of my best friends is Canadian, he hates Canada. He recently moved back to take a job as a software developer for an oil company and had to leave his guns here. He hated that too.

I'd gladly say anything I have to say online to someone's face. People that would punch you for your opinions are exactly the reason guns are useful. If you're 4 times bigger than me and try to physically assault me, at least in my state and about 30 others, I can shoot you in self defense.

God Bless America!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

You need to compare violent crime rates, not gun rates. Obviously in a place where guns are banned there are less GUNS.. Does that equate to less victims though?

Proper analysis would compare rates of violent crimes, not gun crime. Just another way the talking heads have brainwashed otherwise intelligent people.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Did this just happen or is this last year? The date on the report has 2012 but the comments posted are current. Maybe it's just a typo or they tried to keep it buried since it didn't go along with their "game plan".

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The date doesn't matter the fact remains far too many people are trying to label all gun owners as dangerous sociopaths to justify draconian laws.

The event in the op, and the many others like them should wake up people to the fact that the police can not be everywhere all the time.

Anyone who seeks to disarm a nations citizen is more dangerous than terrorists, or some knife wielding "crazy".

There are more good people in the world than bad some people don't like to admit that there are those like me who have faith in their fellow citizen with an absolute lack of faith in "laws" that only punish after the fact.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Chap with knife lunges at chap with gun. Gun gets knocked out of gun wielders hand. Knife man picks up gun and starts shooting innocent passers-by instead of knifing them.
Yes you could imagine that happening.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join