Fluorescent sheep born in Uruguay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

If it can not be crazier than this.Scientist have genetically modified Fluorescent sheep..
What's the purpose of this?. How can they do this to those poor animals ? It seems that to test new things like cloning and genetically modify animals doesn't count to the animal abuse..

The sheep were genetically modified. Fluorescent gel, extracted from glowing jellyfish, was implanted in the sheep’s DNA. That modification produced an offspring that glows in the dark.

I will lmao if this sheep turns into some fearsome creature overnight and eat all the scientists...
but whatever the effect seems to work , soon we all wear fluorescent wool sweaters and socks..

Well Carl you can prepare for something new on the catwalk...........

Peace

NDJ world news
Article french
edit on 26-4-2013 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Source?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Done

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It seems they used the pGLO DNA from the jellyfish, but it won't activate unless it under UV light.

I worked with pGLO many times, its usually the first introductory experiment using recombinant DNA in Uni.

Edit: However, we never used a sheep, we used E.coli. Better and accurate results and more humane.
edit on 4/26/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Source?

Well isn't this just dandy, what's next?

The scientists says their genetic modification had no real specific purpose other than studying the effect of the method used to introduce foreign genes into the DNA of animals.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
HA! That's awesome. Now we have glow in the dark sheep, makes it WAY easier for night-time predators to spot, no? What's next I wonder?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

But is this only to proof that it's possible?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

firefly genome extraction applied to sheep?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Yeah, its possible.

The problem us humans have from becoming super humans with 4 arms and 3 eyes is that we can't target where the genes that give the eyes or arms gonna grow. We don't have that technology yet.

E.coli is a simple creature, i'm surprised they made it appear on the skin, well skin is the largest organ, so pretty good chance, i guess we are advancing toward gene therapy or it was just random luck, that this gene pattern is a phenotype for the skin

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Why do we need fluorescent sheep
maybe they should give these people something useful to do.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

But is this only to proof that it's possible?

I'm guessing they are testing the method so they can do more involved, potentially beneficial things later.

Like this...

In 2002, National Geographic reported on mice that have been engineered to express a Jelly Fish Gene that causes their cells to fluoresce when exposed to blue light4. Every cell in the body contains the gene and will fluoresce, albeit there is some variation between individuals as to brightness of the fluorescence. Fluorescent mice are helpful in studying such diseases as Alzheimer's. By looking at the pattern of fluorescence in the brain, researchers are able to determine the exact nerve clusters used in processing sensory input, even from a single whisker5 enabling much closer mapping of the brain. This information extrapolated to humans could provide light on "more effective treatments for neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's5."

Source

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I think its a test to see how far a gene manipulation can help.

Imagine targeting cancer cell, nothing but the cancer cell. Or growing a missing Limp on a fetus, a heart, a kidney... etc

Right now, the drugs we take are taken for the WHOLE BODY, not the affected area.

For example, taking Tylenol for headache does not mean the Tylenol goes directly to your head, it goes to your blood stream and SOME of it goes to your head, thus you get the effect, but imagine a pill that just targets your headache? that would be perfection.

This is not a good comparison but it is sort of what they are doing in the sheep experiment.

Sad part is, the field of biotechnology is actually advancing slowly... because too many political and moral issue they have to tackle....If i had my own country, i would support biotechnology, and even offer to clone myself.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

So it has been done before?, If its for curing some disease I can somehow understand it, and more justified to do this but for just know if its possible I don't see the meaning of it.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Fire fly glow is more of a chemical reaction than a genetics.

This is taken from a jelly fish that live sin deep sea.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

I think its a test to see how far a gene manipulation can help.

Imagine targeting cancer cell, nothing but the cancer cell. Or growing a missing Limp on a fetus, a heart, a kidney... etc

Right now, the drugs we take are taken for the WHOLE BODY, not the affected area.

For example, taking Tylenol for headache does not mean the Tylenol goes directly to your head, it goes to your blood stream and SOME of it goes to your head, thus you get the effect, but imagine a pill that just targets your headache? that would be perfection.

This is not a good comparison but it is sort of what they are doing in the sheep experiment.

Sad part is, the field of biotechnology is actually advancing slowly... because too many political and moral issue they have to tackle....If i had my own country, i would support biotechnology, and even offer to clone myself.

I don't see any reason that I would ever want fluorescent skin. I suppose there will be fluorescent women around in ten years. New fads are always being created.

Maybe they will want to make the cancer cells fluorescent so they can see them. I don't think that will help.
edit on 26-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

But you say It's possible, but you have to got the genes to create such chemical reaction I would think?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Yeah or particular parts of your body.. that remembers me of some movie I watched along time go..lol

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I'm not sure what do you mean, but the gene for glowing are obtained thru dissecting the jelly fish that glows(jelly fish naturally have this gene). Also, the pGLO gene(the sheep/jelly fish) is not really a chemical reaction like the fire fly.

Fire fly mixes two chemicals at will(due to emotion, sense, sex drive etc) in order to make light, but the pGLO gene is already active(when sugar is in the system) and is "glowing" all the time, but you just can't see it until you use UV light on it.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

No I meant that if you got the fireflies genome you could probably mix those chemicals, But that is just some wild guess I'm no scientist , and I don't even know how it works , though I do like science, to read and watch but sometimes they do stupid things that aren't necessary I think

top topics

<<   2 >>

join