It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Loud Bang heard in Derry City.. again...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Last night shortly after midnight people here in Derry City Northern Ireland heard a loud bang. It was reported to the police who then launched a helicopter to search for the cause of the bang.

It was heard in the Bogside at around midnight on Thursday. A PSNI helicopter was launched amid extensive police checks in the area. Nothing has been found and the cause of the bang is not yet known. A police spokesperson said: "Police in Derry received a number of reports of a loud bang in the city at around midnight on Thursday 25 April. "Extensive police checks were carried out in the area by officers on the ground and the police helicopter but nothing was found.

It wasnt only heard in the Bogside, people from lots of different parts of the city are saying they heard it.

Weird thing is that this has happened before.

This is not Derry’s first ‘big bang’ mystery. On 12 January last year, UTV reported details of a security alert after a blast was heard. At the time, police said they exhausted all lines of enquiry but the cause of the ‘explosion’ remained unclear.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Okay so I know its 'Northern Ireland' that i am in and that we have a reputation here for bombs and such, but i think this is a bit weird. Normally within a few minutes of a 'bang' everyone knows where it came from and the cause, pipe bomb, car bomb etc. But with these two reports there is nothing, no visible result. This is not a large city, surely it should'nt be hard to find the cause.

theories?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hi,

Never in a million years thought someone else from Derry would be on here.

Heard about the bang this morning.
I agree, its strange when no one even puts forward a 'possible' explanation.

weird hi!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Was it cloudy? It could've been thunder

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
That is odd.
They sent up a helicopter pretty quickly after it seems.
And to see nothing is weird because I'm sure that police heli
has infrared/night vision.
You would think a heat signature of some sort would be visible,
if they did get there soon enough. Unless the bang was airborne?
Who knows ?

edit on 26-4-2013 by sealing because: Grammar

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Big loud bangs where heard here in newry last week, Everyone really heard it, also me and my family have seen 7 lights in the sky above our house, they would stop go extremely bright then dim, and move again. There where also other lights that would randomly flash around them . And this was 3 nights in a row, the same lights. I have videos and pictures I might upload them to my profile later. They where not helicopters or anything, ill well aware of what they look like there plenty around here haha they where completely silent and extremley bright.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Just a thought but could it be a sonic boom from aircraft like the ones in this video? :

Or maybe someone just letting of one of those MEGA bangers (firecrackers)

Like these :

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 26-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

edit on 26-4-2013 by Rodinus because: video added

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I wonder if someone is going to come up with a "Big Bang Theory" for this.
It would be better if someone found the real cause though.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hi,
Any sink-holes anywhere nearby?

Maybe an underground methane pocket? Lots of farming in the area?

During the bang, was it a reverberative (KA-BOOM) or just a low boom?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by irish1

haha! whats the craic hi! lol nice to see another Derry head

I think there is a couple of other Derry people on here that I see posting from time to time.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Psych3d3licPsych3

Yeah thats weird. If you have any links to sites reporting the loud bangs in Newry could you put them up?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

That's possible on both accounts.

I just dont think the police would go to the trouble of a helicopter if it was an aircraft, unless they were unaware of it being there.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

No sinkholes in this area that I am aware of.

I didnt actually hear the bang so I am unsure. I was playing planetside2 at the time and had my headphones on lol.

CX

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Could it be practice runs by those who wish to carry on the troubles? Now and again you'd hear that kind of thing down near Crossmaglen.

They seem to be keen on using mortars there still, maybe they are having a test run. I don't know that area too well, any large wooded areas that could be used for training? Saying that, you coul do it on any large area of land.

CX.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I'm not sure, the sound was mostly reported in built up areas of the cityside, I would think it strange/stupid for anyone to want to do a 'test run' here instead of driving to the countryside, the police would be all over them within minutes. I am pretty sure they have better places to practice their dastardly deeds.

top topics

join