It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Omnidirectional treadmill + Oculus Rift = At-home virtual reality finally arrives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
"Ladies and gentlemen, some 20 years after the first seeing people jog stupidly on the spot while wearing a large headset and a glove, the future of gaming is finally here: The Omni, an omnidirectional treadmill from Virtuix that allows you to walk, run, or strafe comfortably in any direction. Combined with a virtual reality headset like the Oculus Rift, the Omni allows for the most immersive (and exhausting) gameplay yet devised."

If this technology works as advertised, I know what I want from Santa! I'm 37 and I know its sad but I have been waiting for this kind of set up since i was just a lad playing on the Spectrum 48k and Commodore 64. I remember thinking some day tech like this would become available to the masses.

What do you think ATS, who wants one, or even two(Maybe not his year, maybe 2014/2015)???

www.extremetech.com...
edit on 26-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

My oh my, like you I've dreamt of this setup since I was a kid, also while plugging away on my speccy

Sadly its still a prototype using kinnect for its motion sensing but should it come to mass market then I think it will be on my wish list! We just need it to feed information to the central nervous system and then we'll have total immersion

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Haha what a techtease.

It uses kinect to track your movements.

Booo Hiss.. I want a proper 3D tracking system that immerses me.

Actually, I'd be happy with the headset and my comfy chair with a mouse and keyboard. Old school the new tech. Ahh.. Might have to have a gander for the headsets again. Last time I checked the cheap chinese sellers the good ones were still a few hundred bucks.. Or I could get a pair with 320x200 resolution for under $100. haha. good for pretty much nothing in the era of HD postage stamps.

PS, I'm a few years older than you and I Still want one of these things. I don't think age makes us less interested in things.. just less able to spend hours and hours at it.. before the cranky bones and brain kick in.

Oo

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It will have to do until something better comes along like The Matrix or a lucid dream pill.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Eonnn

I would love my own personal Holodeck myself!

Then again I don't think I will live that long considering the tech is about 200-300 years down the line. LoL

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by Eonnn

I would love my own personal Holodeck myself!

Then again I don't think I will live that long considering the tech is about 200-300 years down the line. LoL

Actually Microsoft patented the holodeck last year (2012)...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

"Actually Microsoft patented the holodeck last year (2012)"

When they patent matter manipulation and force field technology then I will be impressed, I don't think Holodecks work very well without these techs/innovations!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
My childhood dream is coming true! Just a couple more years and VR will be a complete reality.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Eonnn

Well if they come out with a drug soon to increase life span/slow the aging process you might make it there

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

"Actually Microsoft patented the holodeck last year (2012)"

When they patent matter manipulation and force field technology then I will be impressed, I don't think Holodecks work very well without these.

Dude... you think anyone would trust microsoft with matter manipulation? Really? That thing will probably crash and create a black hole that would engulf the sol system on a massive blue screen that would travel through space forever - the last remnants of the human species - a giant massive blue screen of death black hole. NO. Its just their way to fill a room in a way that the image will be bent adapting to each surface you have, like tables, chairs etc, to create an even image across your whole living room basically.

Although this Omni thing is quite interesting... but I see a problem with crouching.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

"Dude... you think anyone would trust microsoft with matter manipulation? Really?"

Not in the slightest, that's why I said "When they patent matter manipulation and force field technology then I will be impressed". I will be surprised if Microsoft is even around in 5-10 years if they keep pushing crap OS down our throat like Windows 8!

"giant massive blue screen of death"

Priceless, spot-on!!!

Hey, Microsoft leave my start button alone!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Eonnn

Need to be some super potent longevity and cell rejuvenation drug my friend, can you imagine trying to play one of these baby's when your 250-300 years old?

Entropy must increase after all!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

haha yeah

I still wouldn't rule it out, we don't know what the future holds and I like to be optimistic.

The drug could make you live long enough to see another tech that extends your life even longer.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

"Dude... you think anyone would trust microsoft with matter manipulation? Really?"

Not in the slightest, that's why I said "When they patent matter manipulation and force field technology then I will be impressed". I will be surprised if Microsoft is even around in 5-10 years if they keep pushing crap OS down our throat like Windows 8!

"giant massive blue screen of death"

Priceless, spot-on!!!

Hey, Microsoft leave my start button alone!!!

Actually now that you talk about it... I havent dared to touch 8 yet...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

"Actually now that you talk about it... I havent dared to touch 8 yet"

I don't recommend it mate........I've seen some things, and some stuff! Windows 8 is a flop in my opinion and a whole lot of other people also!

MS need to start listening to their customer base, front end my arse!

Says me with a pirated version of Windows 7 64 bit. LoL

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Thank you sir... 7 will stay as it is then!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I want this, I'd excercise on a regular basis, ESP if I can use google earth with it, visit and walk around all the places I've always wanted to go
He'll, I'd start running again with an implemented sim of running in an army platoon again

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Live at E3. Gotta admit, kinda cool that we are getting further and putting these things together finally.

PS
In all seriousness, if we could get together a few programmers and artists to make an app driven game and combine that with this system and some Foam weapons and shields with RFID chips in them.
Lower that upper bar to around the groin level and widen to allow for freedom of movement.
Offer an optional custom foam helmet with the Rift inside it.
Hell you can use a pre existing and weaker graphics engine because the entire thing doesnt have to be beautiful the first time, it has to be more innovative.
See Minecraft for proof.
It could even be an online game.

Well, i don't need to tell you, Fantasy Nerd Goldmine.
Change it into a space/alien themed series with a more advanced helmet and gun option. Money
A western theme with cowboy hat and holster w/six shooter(s)/ sawoffed shogun and serape/sombrero!

Steam punk theme with cool goggles and a sick steamwork axe.
And ultimately, gloves of all shapes and kinds.
Yea, i am talking full on costume set up here.
Can i go on?
I mean really. If it were bundled together would it really cost more then a new Xbox One?
It could even be classified as an exercise tool!

Oh, and the name of the game?

Omni: Presence

Fire dances across the eyes, the world around you shakes. As you begin to focus again you see the world in a haze of light and silence of sound.
Everything seems so slow.

The whispered voice comes without a face, it is only a sound drifting through the room as fire moves like a slow melting glacier and deeper rumble, drawing you in.

"The beauty is the name. The name is the secret."

Then he is there, walking in from beside you, turning to meet your gaze. Sometimes he wears a shining helmet of metal, sometimes of glass. Sometimes his eyes glow from beneath a lowered hat, or swirl and click as magically mechanic lenses see whats beyond seeing.

"Figures i would find another one and not have anytime to speak of what is and what should never be."
(Zepplin reference: Cause were cool)

A pop of sparks and sound from beside him, a gentle shaking as time begins and burns then slows to a crawl.

"See" he says, his voice so different but always the same.

"Now I might sound crazy, but that's just because you don't know what i know." the man says firmly. "After i tell you, after i show you what you weren't meant to see you might go crazy too."

He turns to face the room and raises his hand, and whether it is a blade or blaster of light, weather he holds a small and silver machine of death or a great hissing weapon meant to cleave what is needed from the earth and trees. He always, always turns to face you with that sense of sadness.

"I can only give you a few minutes, after that you are going to have to walk the world alone for awhile. Follow the lights that i have left behind. Lights such as this, they will guide you when i cannot."

He fades away like smoke and a small lantern lies where he stood. A small token of his power that comes to hang like a phantom in the upper left corner of your vision.

His voice whispers again.
"Cheer up, it might also drive you sane." he says almost whimsically.

Time reverses, and the game begins.

It is at this point that the various characters begin their story.
Because that's the rub.
It isn't one game, the universe is all those games, all interconnected in a great web of time, lies and conspiracy to control the very fate of our souls and the destiny of all living things.
We send the players the game in the mail, no downloading.
The box comes with a thumb drive/sd card that you can swap in and out like renting a video game and also contains your RFID-enhanced weapon of choice.
We could offer ultimate/high end custom armor/weapons complete with chips.
Or even allow the players to order their own chips and make their own armor/weapon sets.
Think about, Comic Con/Larp's does it all the time.

edit on 25-7-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join