It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Ancient Egypt and Stonehenge...Look To Scotland

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

this is pretty much the time that the sea levels were raising and the hunter-gaqtherer's dreamland that was the pre-north sea marshes would most likely have been gradually depopulating. perhaps some of those people ended up here in orkney which most likely was well known to them, not least due to the circles of stenness that were constructed at about this time and possibly even brodgar.. did this provide an impetus for the building of the temple complex and their change in religious practices?

overall the question earlier as to why these practices and skills moved south could be answered by their failure to take root in orkney.
edit on 28-4-2013 by skalla because: clarity, typos

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Hope we can see that "Coast" in Austrailia sometime here in US

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Yeah, possibly a group of people living on the marshes retreating from changing conditions and decided to build a settlement on Orkney to see it through, realised they were on Orkney and were screwed lol so moved South perhaps.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

it's quite possible that the construction of stenness etc was a later neolithic expression of the changing population of orkney, maybe as newcomers from the north sea marshes bought new practices and cultural influences. the changes in their monuments, ie larger, grander structures was their making a mark on the land to show ownership and propitiate the spirits of that land. there is a fascinating story here... my interpretation may ofc be wide of the mark but it's a shame more members here are not contributing thoughts on this, particularly on the religious innovation shown and it's subsequent failure. fairplay to the peeps of prehistoric orkney for rejecting it, i say.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeeBee
Bear in mind when thinking about the remoteness of the site that many of those islands would have been part of the mainland around 10,000 years ago, when the sea levels were much lower than they are today.

Dont forget Hy-Brasil Ireland

and this !! tho it was 56 mill years ago when it sank ?

Giant Sunken Island Discovered On Atlantic Seafloor

It is not Atlantis (because it's sinking far predates humankind). But it is a gigantic land mass that once rose above sea level but now rests on the ocean floor.

Atlantis it may not be, although if it weren't so ancient, it very well could be. The newly discovered island is massive, measuring roughly 3,800 square miles, just a little larger than the island of Cyprus and a little smaller than the island of Jamaica. And it rests on the Atlantic ocean floor, a little over a mile beneath the surface north of Scotland.

www.huliq.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

The world is old, but in the ancient past the world was smaller, and as a result the entire day and nite span of time did not consists of 24 hour days

When extrapolating carbon dating and other general terms of time to describe a period, consideration for this fact above is never taken into consideration, and over long spans of time the error results in incredible dates of estimation

The Atlantic rift is evidence of the amount of material added to the plates and distorts the sphere and places pressure upon the continents and their plates

Scotland is old, but another civilization existed before the Orkney's, and their people, king, and catastrophe is written in the history of man, and the evidence of their megaliths are built around the world, which is where those that survived were scattered until they met their end

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I am a Macleod as well, so I show great pride in my homeland of Scotland. I loved reading about the wonders of Scotland in The Hiram Key.
edit on 29-4-2013 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join