It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Store Clerk Charged With Assault And Battery After Whipping Another Mother's Child.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
"A Dollar General store clerk has been charged with simple battery after she allegedly whipped 8-year-old Logan Ivey for running around and throwing a cookie at her. According to CBS affiliate WMAZ-TV in Wrightsville, Ga. Emilia Graciella Bell, 39, whipped the boy with a belt an estimated 25 times.

The boy’s mother and sister were in the store at the time, but didn’t see the attack firsthand. Police Chief Paul Sterling reported the incident was clearly captured on surveillance video. Sterling was so troubled by Bell’s actions that he will seek to upgrade the clerk’s charge to aggravated assault.

According to the police report, Ivey was running around the store when Bell began calling him “demon boy” and attempting to make him calm down. In response to her actions and words, Ivey responded, “I will show you bad” and threw a cookie at her.

Bell became agitated and chased him behind the counter where she began spanking him with her belt. “It felt like five needles were sticking in me,” Ivey told WMAZ. “I was screaming, ‘Momma!’”

The boy’s father Jody Ivey was permitted to view the surveillance video and shocked at what he witnessed. “I wish everyone could see the video,” he commented. “It shows how many times she really hit him and how bad it was.”

According to Georgia state law, aggravated assault includes the use of a deadly weapon, object or device to inflict serious bodily injury on another individual. The punishment for the felony is a maximum of 20 years in prison.

If the Wrightsville Chief of Police is able to increase Bell’s alleged crime to aggravated assault, she may face a number of years behind bars.

In the case that Bell’s charge of simple battery stands and she is convicted, she will receive a misdemeanor. Punishment for a first-time offense may include fines and probation, but a very slim chance for prison time."

Now that's a Pound shop I definitely would take care to avoid, see what happens when you pay these people minimum wage!

On a more serious note the poor kid, the person responsible for such an act deserves a good few months in a prison cell with Big Bubba/Bertha the beast for company IMHO!

firsttoknow.com... arg-21273
edit on 26-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
stupid parents, stupid worker... not much else to say on the situation

hate when parents don't monitor their children. Violence is not the way to deal with any situation. Wonder if the parents spanked or whipped the boy in the same way as the clerk at home for being bad, would they get the same punishment of the law.
edit on 26-4-2013 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

The boy’s mother and sister were in the store at the time, but didn’t see the attack firsthand.

Why was the mother not watching her child? This could have been avoided if she had been keeping an eye on her son.

What an irresponsible parent

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Stupid parents aside, you don't want to go into any shop with your child and have them assaulted with a belt or anything else for that matter! Obviously the parents should be monitoring their kids behaviour, but still this is way over the top.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

It is.

The clerk should have located the mother and told her to keep the boy under control, if she didn't and the boy kept misbehaving the clerk should have asked them to leave.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The parent should have been keeping a closer eye out on her kid. That aside, the clerk should do time. Not the 20 years possible, but 30 days may teach her to keep her hands off other people kids. When my kids were little, they never got out of my eyesight in a store, much less running around by themselves. There's blame to go around on this one, but the clerk needs to learn a lesson.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Lol yeah hitting the kid that many times is a big crazy, should of just given it a good clip across the ass and im sure the kid woulda learnt, although this kid will probably be the nicest child whenever it enters a shop ever again lol, parents fault though for being sh!t parents.
Should of just spilled some water on the floor and let the lil sh!t run and slip on that, 'oww i didn do it i must have left it there while moping, i have a slippery when wet sign up though so its not my liability' lol. Some people just shouldnt have kids, lucky thats all the kid got was a wooping, what if it had been some sorta sexual predator still the parents fault for not monitoring, shoulda just picked the kid up and kicked it out of the store lol. If the clerk was smart he'd of destroyed the tape, but someone who woops the kid that much obviously wasnt in their right state of mind.
But im sure this person will go to jail for 10years just because he dished out more parenting than the parents did, stupid shouldnt bread.
/endofrant

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
agreeably the store clerk was most definitely in the wrong. yet i also see an even bigger wrong here. not only was the mother letting her young son out of sight which these days is a rather serious risk to take. but didn't even hear/pay attention to her son calling "momma". add in all the time for the "harassment" of the store clerk, and getting hit TWENTY FIVE times. that is a huge chunk of time where anything could have happened. i bet if the kid had been kidnapped the mother would have sworn "he was only out of sight for a minute".

if it was up to me the store clerk would do some community service, and take some sort of anger management course. as she was being harassed and yes technically even assaulted by this unattended brat of a child. sure she over reacted but the mother was plainly at most fault for not keeping control of her child, let alone obviously not paying any attention to him, and keeping him from harassing and assaulting the clerk.

the mother on the other hand should have the book thrown at her for child endangerment and child abandonment. as well as charges for the harassment and assault her son who should have been controlled by her committed. she should also be forced to take a parenting course while serving her time behind bars. parents need to learn to control their kids, that is a part of being a parent. this whole situation would not have occurred if she was keeping proper control of her kid.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I'm on the fence about this. this kid learned there are people out there that won't put up with his crap, even if the parent is with them. and the parent learned that they better teach their kid how to act in society, because next time, it might be a hell of lot more serious. and cause real harm to their kid

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
This is a tough one, on one hand it's not a random person's job to discipline other people's kids. But, also the parents are kind of at fault for not teaching their kid better manners, I'm sure these are the extra effort granting parents, who think their kid is an angel sent by "god", while he runs around and harasses other people trying to mind their own business. The kid sounds very undisciplined, and hopefully he learned his lesson.

This may seem callous to some, but I swear, I see more kids that run around breaking things, making annoying noises, and lack manners/discipline in general, because parents don't like to show their children right from wrong, because they are scared to hurt their feelings.. People stopped being parents to their kids, and now just want to be their best friend, instead of teaching them how to be civil.
edit on 4/26/2013 by eXia7 because: fixed some spellin

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Not really defending the store clerk, but if all the kid got was a sore backside he is lucky! Parent should have had an eye on the little dude as he could have gotten seriously hurt, killed or abducted. What if in the time all of the activity the parent had no idea about occurred the kid had ran out of the store into the street, gotten abducted by a predator, gotten crushed by pulling shelves over or drank a gallon of antifreeze or bug killer?

When my kids were young they were never out of my sight in a store, and if they had somehow slipped away I'd be thanking the clerk for finding them and the clerk's spanking would not have been the end of it if they had been behaving like that- all privileges, toys and electronics would be out of the picture for an extended amount of time.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

you reminded me of an incident we had at work one time. i worked in the auto shop, which was right beside the store receiving area. we once had a parent threaten to sue when her FIVE YEAR OLD fell off some skids he had been climbing in the receiving area. yet where was the parent when this was happening? SHE was inside the store paying for work done to her car while she LEFT the child ALONE outside to amuse himself. she couldn't even claim the child had "slipped out" while she was not looking since we had to unlock the door to the shop with a button for anyone to leave.

also in the same store we would try to tell parents not to let their kids ride hanging onto shopping carts, as they could and did tip over when kids did this. you would think that parents would thank us for trying to stop a dangerous situation, that just possibly they didn't realize was there. but no when we would do this the typical response was a lot of swearing at us, telling us to mind our own business, and saying "that's alright if it falls over we will just sue you".

is it just me or are there a LOT of bad parents out there that just let their kids do what they will then want to sue when things happen?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
Parent should have had an eye on the little dude as he could have gotten seriously hurt, killed or abducted. What if in the time all of the activity the parent had no idea about occurred the kid had ran out of the store into the street, gotten abducted by a predator, gotten crushed by pulling shelves over or drank a gallon of antifreeze or bug killer?

The child could have been easily abducted given that the mother didn't even hear the commotion or her own young son screaming for help

Then what? Going everywhere asking for the return of the boy, crying and swearing up and down that she only turned her back for a second?

I'm sorry that this situation happened. I'm sorry for the boy getting hurt and having to deal with the lawyers and all, but lady (if you ever read this), please take this as a wake up call and take good care of your little one from now on. ANYTHING could have happened to him, he's young and needs YOU to protect him. He evidently loves you and thought you could have saved him from what was happening that's why he called out for you.

So, please, be careful in the future.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by generik

is it just me or are there a LOT of bad parents out there that just let their kids do what they will then want to sue when things happen?

No, it isn't just you! I don't know exactly why but when Hillary Clinton started making speeches about how "It takes a village to raise a child" apparently some idiots took it wrong and decided that real parenting wasn't their responsibility anymore- that everybody else should do their job for them, minus any sort of discipline (and that doesn't mean just spanking).

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

The sad part of it is that the parent will put on a show for all the world to see now to demonstrate what a responsible parent they are- but only when people are looking. I see people do it all the time, being loving, protective and attentive when there is an audience but could care less what their kids are doing the rest of the time- as long as they aren't bugging them. It's becoming a pattern nowdays and a bad one at that!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

"Not really defending the store clerk, but if all the kid got was a sore backside he is lucky!"

I would tend to agree if it were not for the fact that the store employee used what amounts to a weapon on a kid 48 times(Edit turns out only 25 times)!!! Clip round the ear would have sufficed.

As to the parents not supervising their kid properly, I wonder if that's just an assumption? Don't know how many times my Mum lost track of me in stores as a toddler, I used to run and hide between the coat racks and then giggle at her as she frantically searched for me. That's what kids do is it not?

I never had someone tan my arse behind a counter with a leather belt 48 times(Edit turns out only 25 times) because I chucked a piece of solid food at them. Seems at the very least draconian to me, and at worst child abuse!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I do hope you realize that it would take more than just a minute to chase a kid around a store and hit him 48 times (although I doubt that number)? Your arm would wear out long before then certainly, but even so Dollar General Store is a small store (we have 4 of them in our town), nowhere near the size of a grocery store or a Walmart store. Even if the kid "slipped away" the mother could have been at the furthest back corner of the store and been able to hear her child yelling for her from the front of the store easily unless she was deaf, so Mom wasn't even looking for the kid and more than likely heard him yelling and IGNORED him.

I feel the clerk should be punished certainly but I think the parents should have to take court ordered parenting classes to assure they learn to keep their child safe in the future. If the child is allowed to run hog wild in the store I'd hate to know how little supervision he gets at home.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

"I do hope you realize that it would take more than just a minute to chase a kid around a store and hit him 48 times (although I doubt that number)? "

I think the incident was captured on the stores CCTV system, the child was pulled behind the counter then assaulted so no chasing. Also the article says the father has viewed said CCTV footage. As to the parents having to attend better parenting class we would need to have background reports from social work before we could ascertain whether or not these are required or not. Kids run off in supermarkets and stores all the time, least they did in my day!

The store employee should get atleast six months inside for this. Lets see how they like there arse being pounded! LoL

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Kids do run off, but I have 3. Now when I go ANYWHERE, they are right next to me if not right behind me. I simply in this day and age DO NOT allow my kids to wonder off, it's not like we live in the " sound of music " area, where they can run for hours and never see another person. We live in the age where they can be taken, hurt, mauled, and punished by others without much cause. I am sorry to say but my kids go into a store with me, they are right by me if not in eye sight. What is the point of taking your kids somewhere and not watching them, inside a store is not inside your home.

As for the clerk, everyone knows if they aren't your child, keep your hands off. Very simple, if schools had to stop beating kids, than why would a dollar general store clerk be any different?

Parenting / Keep your kids in sigh class for Parents

And

Anger management for the store clerk. You have insurance and CCTV for a reason, you break it you buy it.
edit on 26-4-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Originally posted by generik

No, it isn't just you! I don't know exactly why but when Hillary Clinton started making speeches about how "It takes a village to raise a child" apparently some idiots took it wrong and decided that real parenting wasn't their responsibility anymore- that everybody else should do their job for them, minus any sort of discipline (and that doesn't mean just spanking).

really?...Hillary Clinton's book excerpts is to blame for lack of parenting skills for children?....you must have won several mother of the year awards for that incredible child-rearing logic

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join