It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ode to Tequila.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I haven't made my own poetic homage to the distilled beverage yet, but if I were feeling inspired it would begin with a conflicted verse: "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times".

Tequila wasn't very well known during my youth.
We had brandy and whiskey, and something called Sambucca.

Suddenly all these fashionable people with shot glasses were wrapping their lips around the salt and lemon, and they were seemingly drinking something new.
They were drinking shots of tequila - gold or silver!

Tequila was made from the Blue Agave, although it was really just strong alcohol, like Vodka.
Soon there was a mythology about it.
One myth was that it didn't make one tired, like other booze.
I'd say that was all just marketing and spin.

South Africa actually tried making its own tequila since the agave grows in the Karoo.
But that local cheap "Agava" just tasted terrible.

Now I'm starting to enjoy the taste, and a bottle of aged tequila I got for my birthday.

I think adults should enjoy tequila responsibly, just like other legal beverages.

I'd be interested in any experiences, music or poetry concerning tequila.
Is it about enjoying some tequila, or a warning against all tequila?

I wouldn't advise tequila to anyone, but on the other hand it's just one of those things that adults will come across on their legal and moral path sooner or later.

Is tequila immoral or evil?
Should it be the first kind of liquor to be banned?
Is it just another drink?

Here it is still a common novelty and slightly exotic.
How do people in Mexico or the US view tequila?

Here is one "Ode to Tequila" that is an interesting, albeit somewhat rambling narrative:

edit on 25-4-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Costco's Kirkland Tequila is great!

My Sundays are usually ruined from staying up 'til 6:00am the night before.

I wish I can remember the stories, but I can't - so I discovered that I have an archive of quotes written in the Notes section of my phone entitled "Quotes and Anecdotes from Time to Time" which are actual quotes taken from Tequila-induced frinds that I think are significant from every single Saturday night of debauchery!

The people I tend to surround myself with are usually artists, musicians, eccentric folks... you get the idea --- so spontaneity and improvization always rules our Saturdays, and Kirkland Tequila is always there to help create such memorab--- uh... I mean... fun times!

Here's one of those moments:

(While sitting behind his kit, using his drumstick as a pointer, when seeing Phil's erect nipples, he points and says...)

"That's the only thing I like about the winter."
~Sergio
December 17, 2011

Good times!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Ah tequila, my oldest enemy and dearest friend.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I avoid it now...will never drink it again. I don't want to be arrested ever again for being drunk & disorderly, resisting arrest and abusive language.

How did it happen? I drank a bottle of tequila and ate the worm. Never again. That was on my 21st birthday too. I do vaguely remember also having some flaming lamborghinis as well. Be careful drinking tequila... I call it a bottle of insane.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I love tequila.

I drink it straight (in a short glass with no ice) and I also love it on the rocks.

Tequila to me reminds me of earthy flavors, makes me think of the sun at mid day, and the end of the day as the sun is merging with the earth.

Sip it, and see what it reminds you of.

I know it is a common "shooter" liqiur but just one time order it straight or on the rocks, and sip it. Think about what is made of and where it comes from. Draw a "picture" in your mind as it hits your tongue, as it slips down your throat, as it rests in your belly.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The tequila stereotype.

A nerd stumbles into a biker bar.

Pee Wee Herman dances to the tequila song and rides a steel horse.

edit on 26-4-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The Champs - Too much Tequila.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Is tequila to Mexico what champagne is to France?

Apparently so, and only one region can legally produce "tequila".

How tequila is made:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Tequila is some crazy stuff.

In my early 20's, I experienced the worst hangover of my entire life after a night of boozing on tequila. I could smell it oozing from my pores for two days and I haven't been able to touch the stuff since.

"Lick it, Slam it, Suck it" can go suck it!

I'll never drink that stuff again!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I open the bottle
(we have no worms)
and take a deep sniff
This is what it will taste like
like alcohol with old wood
and character.

The first sip is distasteful
but then I swallow
and I think
of the shape of a butterfly.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Bobby Bare - Tequila Sheila (1980).

One of my favorite country songs.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I Love a good Margarita but Captain Morgan floats my boat.I use it for cooking sometimes too-meat stirfries-and especially in chicken marinade with sweet chili sauce.There was a restaurant in town that used to make The Best most sumptious Margaritas-you'd have to go to Mexico to get better.I used to meet one of my kids' art teacher there for a liquid lunch once a month-great fun,SACRED Margies.Such a pity they closed down.

new topics

top topics

join