It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outcry erupts over 1% pay raise proposed for military

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
www.armytimes.com...

Military families and their advocates are battling an Obama administration proposal to limit troops’ pay raises to 1 percent in 2014, the lowest increase in half a century.

The raise comes at a time when forces will still be fighting in Afghanistan.

“We’re sending the wrong message to the ones who have worked the hardest in our country by the multiple deployments and family separations,” says Michael Hayden, deputy director of government relations for the Military Officers Association of America.

White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden, no relation to Michael Hayden, said Obama is committed to “a sacred trust” with military members, but needed to reduce the pay raise, partly to offset congressional refusal to cut spending on “outdated weapons system.”

You have got to be kidding me. Pay raise? More like a pay cut! Once again the military members themselves must suffer because the clowns in Washington can't stop spending money so they take away from the people instead of their greedy agendas. First the Pentagon tried to cut tuition assistance for military members but failed thanks to it being illegal to cut so now we see where they decided to make cuts instead.

Elizabeth Robbins, a Pentagon spokeswoman, called the limit on pay increases a “tough decision.” But she said the Defense Department must pay for proper training and support, and “fair compensation that recognizes the sacrifices they (troops) make for our country ... while adhering to the budget constraints it is facing.”

Pentagon officials briefing military family representatives framed the 1 percent increase as a trade-off: “They believe servicemembers and families would be willing to give something on the size of pay raises to ensure funding for the mission,” the National Military Family Association explained to members on its website.

I do hope Mrs. Robbins is reading this article, namely the title. How about closing a few more overseas bases and or end another conflict like, I dunno, Afghanistan? Looks like the Pentagon is sending more troops to AFRICOM, so... so much for closing overseas bases. Okay, I'll take ending the war in Afghanistan.

edit on 25-4-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well OP, lets look at this logically, shall we? Benefit cuts are part of it..like the tuition cut that seems to be long term since all talk of mitigating or doing away with Sequestration seems to be done and over. Welcome to the new painful world.

I think the most telling thing tho is simply that 1% IS literally a pay CUT in effective money involved here. How? Well, inflation rate is sitting at 1.5% right now. So a 1% pay raise is still a 0.5% effective cut in dollars they have in their pocket with purchase power. Sure...the private sector doesn't get that much, but that's a whole different topic and this is the Military, paid by the Feds. Booooo... Is he TRYING to run off the whole experience core of the United States Armed Forces? Oh..wait .. nvm. Stupid question, huh?

U.S. Inflation Rate

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
welcome to the real world.. now that even the military and others are starting to feel the rope tighten around their necks people will start to wake up.

cry about gaining 1% while we cry about losing many percents... Join the club.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes it's a painful new world but cutting military pay I believe the easy way out for the gov't. They are lazy, they don't read bills, they spend and spend and spend while printing and printing and printing more money. Greenspan said it best, the US can always pay it's bills because they can always print more money but I guess that won't help inflation

But seriously though, cutting military pay is the wrong way and who knows if and where it will stop, or more importantly, when it will stop.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I do believe military are living in the real world, like the actual world, from one continent to another. But I get what you're saying and this is just another scary sign of the times ahead. What else will this Gov't cut and NOT cut?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Our military people need a 10% pay raise. It's outrageous that we have people directing air traffic control, working on nuclear weapons, flying jets, in control of destroyers and submarines. Let's not mention the duties of the Coast Guard. These people are paid peanuts for the work they do. They deserve everything from education and V.A. benefits across the board.

Our infantry men should be paid the highest for the highest and most dangerous job in the world. These people do these jobs at a fraction of the cost it would take a civilian contracted company.

Give these brave men and women their due!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Cut the cost of living increase of the soldiers so they don't have to cut the extra expensive military contracts with the big boys. Seems just about right, gotta build those expensive planes and missile systems that don't work right

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
As long as people keep enlisting and the numbers stay at least adequate, nothing will change for the positive.

Its almost like some people think the gubmint and TPTB actually care about anyone but themselves, or care about anything other than taking everything they possibly can from as many as they can for as long as they can.

Nothing will change until the people demand the change and absolutely refuse to take "no" for any reason whatsoever.
edit on 4/25/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well OP, lets look at this logically, shall we? Benefit cuts are part of it..like the tuition cut that seems to be long term since all talk of mitigating or doing away with Sequestration seems to be done and over. Welcome to the new painful world.

I think the most telling thing tho is simply that 1% IS literally a pay CUT in effective money involved here. How? Well, inflation rate is sitting at 1.5% right now. So a 1% pay raise is still a 0.5% effective cut in dollars they have in their pocket with purchase power. Sure...the private sector doesn't get that much, but that's a whole different topic and this is the Military, paid by the Feds. Booooo... Is he TRYING to run off the whole experience core of the United States Armed Forces? Oh..wait .. nvm. Stupid question, huh?

U.S. Inflation Rate

so effectively a cut of half a penny on the dollar during a period of time where the country is in an astounding amount of debt with tens of millions out of work sequestration has begun to be implemented and prospects looking grim

.......this is outrageous!!!!!

(has pay kept up with inflation in the private sector do you think?)
edit on 25-4-2013 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

This is precisely what came to my mind when I first read this. It seems to me that a major shift in internal spending is in order and long overdue.

Penny

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Maybe if they stop giving raises, kids will stop joining.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Ummmm, I've never heard of anyone joining the military because they give raises each year. Most places of employment give, not all but most, give their employees a raise each year. Kids do join for the GI Bill, to travel the world & to serve their country, mostly.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

can you site any sources of information claiming that "most" companies give their employees a raise each year?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The very last people that should feel military cuts are the troops.
Absolutely tragic.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

Cite sources? Seriously? Every place I've ever worked gave a pay raise each January. I'm sorry to hear this is foreign to you.

Google is your friend tho, usatoday30.usatoday.com...
edit on 26-4-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I would not mind this if spending was cut across the board, in EVERY walk of life, including congress and the president, research, light speed rail development, etc. I am saying this while assuming junior military members are not eligible for food stamps any more? I thought that the military pay was more in line with the private sector now, but I guess I could be wrong.

The other caveat would have to be a balanced budget that actually pays down the deficit, not funny numbers to make it sound good, and last but not least, a flat tax. Everyone should have to pay taxes, even if it is $5.00 a year.

My husband is retired navy, and this year he actually got a pay raise, however, because our tricare expenses went up, we are seeing a decrease in pay. We can afford this, but I do feel for those that are retired on an extreme budget.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by Swills

can you site any sources of information claiming that "most" companies give their employees a raise each year?

heck even the evil wal-mart gives yearly pay raises.
that should say a lot right there.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by Cuervo

Ummmm, I've never heard of anyone joining the military because they give raises each year. Most places of employment give, not all but most, give their employees a raise each year. Kids do join for the GI Bill, to travel the world & to serve their country, mostly.

Nobody who's joined since the Bush administration joins to "serve their country". Nobody is that out of touch to think that we are actually doing that with our military.

They go because the benefits sucker poor kids into enlisting because they have very few alternatives. Don't you thing that's intentional? Why do you think we are the only 1st-world nation without free or mostly free higher education? Because we wouldn't get anybody to shoot other people for us if we did that!

Look, 15-20 years ago, I supported our troops and I still feel bad for the ones who got fooled right after 9/11 into thinking they were doing something to protect our nation. But now... there is no excuse. The only reason to enlist now is for education and money. Killing others (and even if you never fire a bullet in the military, you are killing others) for profit is simply mercenary work in anybody's book. I've struggled with this for a long time but sometimes you just have to look at something objectively and realize that the people you are looking at aren't full of good intentions like we've always pretended they were.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

So you speak for every single person who enlists AND is commissioned do you? You know why they all join & your absolutely sure it's not to serve their country? I will agree that we are all war weary, especially after the false war in Iraq and on going war in Afghanistan. I joined the USN in January 2001 because I wanted to travel the world & for the GI Bill, so believe it or not, many "suckers" today join for the same reason. I wasn't tricked & never were they.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
At a time when many employees are taking pay cuts in lieu of layoffs, or have had frozen raises for years, yeah, it is a bit of a slap in the face to realize ANY kind of raise being given to those paid by taxpayers. Not going to find too much public support for this.

In response to the above, in this kind of economy, the military is certainly a smart idea... Guaranteed employment, full benefits, housing, college, etc., and great on the job training. I find it difficult to not recommend this option for someone trying to decide where to go.
edit on 26-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join