It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover the Agent Used in Gulf Spill Cleanup Is Destroying Marine Life

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I live in Panamacity Florida.
wile there's well known dead zones its not from the oil spill.
My son works on charter boats .Mostly red fish (fishing)
I am down at the docks a lot ((no one eye shrimp or clawless crabs ((sorry to disappoint you)
My BS meter is hitting 101% with this post No eyes shrimp hu no eyed and clawless crabs hu .
So tell me Sherlock how did these animals grow large enough to even find? how does a no eyed Clawless crab eat anyway?
sorry to tell you the red fish look GREAT huge 2-3 feet long 10- 25 pounds not a burse or scar on them .
I see dolphins playing in the bay every day healthy heck even a whale or two .
Crabs galore ((no clawless ones though ((dang we always miss the bull stuff here) shrimp ((again NO eyeless shrimp either.
To be honest I expected problems from that spill and am pleaslently surprised that Problems like this FAILED to materialize.
Of corse even though im here on that beach ((if the Midnight star says its so it must be true.
Maybe some day you will get your wish for mad max world but I sure hope not

edit on 26-4-2013 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Go ahead and eat the seafood if you think its safe then
Some of the contamination will not be visible to the naked eye.....
Halliburton, (the company, that supplied the cement for the well.....incidentally weak cement) bought Boots and Coots spill cleanup company, mere weeks before the well blew.
The Corexit is banned in other countries.....so here was the chance to use up the stocks of it.
The size of these multinational corps makes them dangerous to individual governments....they can manage any crisis into a profit.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Unfortunately, this is not news. Corexit was/is banned in Europe.

From what I understand, NALCO, the company that makes Corexit, is a subsidiary of BP.

So they used it, despite protests against its use, despite the fact that everyone knew that there was a
NON-TOXIC alternative oil dispersant specific to Louisiana crude: JD 2000 (?)

But BP doesn't make JD2000, and they weren't going to pay someone else for it, despite the fact that it would have saved marine life.

So that's where BP is morally -- below the gutter.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
old news or not this is still a big deal

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightstar
I am down at the docks a lot ((no one eye shrimp or clawless crabs ((sorry to disappoint you)
My BS meter is hitting 101% with this post No eyes shrimp hu no eyed and clawless crabs hu .
So tell me Sherlock how did these animals grow large enough to even find? how does a no eyed Clawless crab eat anyway?
sorry to tell you the red fish look GREAT huge 2-3 feet long 10- 25 pounds not a burse or scar on them .
Crabs galore ((no clawless ones though ((dang we always miss the bull stuff here) shrimp ((again NO eyeless shrimp either.
To be honest I expected problems from that spill and am pleaslently surprised that Problems like this FAILED to materialize.
Of corse even though im here on that beach ((if the Midnight star says its so it must be true.

ok go ahead eat up denial is the first emotional response

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightstar

I for one am glad your experience has not been the same as some of those reported along the Gulf coast. We always have to look with a candid eye about reports of the weird; for if there is money to be made (lawsuit) there usually is a way to itemize reports in your favor. Louisiana's reports have been the most disturbing or more of them than just about any other state that I have seen.....

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
dang the whole city must be in denial then?? lol hum wonder were they are stashing all the dead bodys ?
lets see apx 60k ppl in bay county .And apx 150k tourist come through here a year spring brake is a blast .
Funny there not dieing in the streets why with mutated shrimp ((also invisible as well as no one here has seen them.))
there should be body's every ware. Darn NWO is good . Only one who would be in denial is you if you didn't get your fix of doom .
Again The fish are health seeing is believing .The crabshave claws and shrimp have eyes .
Heck very little oil even got to the beaches .To bad the evil Oil corp did such a good job minimizing this .
Now don't get me wrong the gulf could use a 100 year moratorium on fishing and dumping and oil drilling and all the crap that comes from the Mississippi that makes a giant dead spot there.
But even now if we just stopped polluting the gulf in 25 years it would be 80% back to what it was 300 years agaio. So you see its not nearly as bad as you would like it to be.
But hey eat hormone and growth induced beef and pork and chicken if that makes you feal worse.
Unless you grow your own meat (fish chicken beef pork . All your getting is the same chemicals your saying is killing every one here in PC .
Humm no body's weres the body's why arnt the emergence rooms packed?
The midnight star

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightstar

I guess it would really hurt your son's wallet if people stopped buying fish and the officials shut down the fishing boats while they assessed the situation.
Nothing wrong with trying to help your son's career, but spreading lies isn't the way to do it.
You talk about crabs having one eye and fish looking sick, but how do you know what corexit does to marine life? You're describing what life forms look like after being exposed to nuclear waste.
www.biologicaldiversity.org...

Dispersants were being used in the BP oil spill to reduce the chance that the surface oil slick would reach shoreline habitats like marshes and mangroves or come into contact with animals at the surface. However, by mixing the oil below the water surface, dispersants increase the exposure of a wide array of marine life in the water and on the ocean floor to the spilled oil. Dispersants also decrease the ability to skim or absorb oil from the ocean surface.

Fish
Dispersants create a toxic environment for fish by releasing harmful oil break-down products into the water. Dispersed oil has been shown to be toxic to fish at all life stages, from eggs to larval fish to adults, according to numerous laboratory studies that have tested a variety of species.

Dispersants pose significant human health risks as well. One of the dispersants used at the BP spill, Corexit 9527A, contains the toxin 2-Butoxyethanol which “may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver” with “repeated or excessive exposure,” according to the manufacturer’s safety data sheet. Corexit 9527 was sprayed on the 11-million gallon oil slick created by the Exxon Valdez spill, and cleanup workers reportedly suffered health problems afterward, including blood in their urine as well as kidney and liver disorders, attributed to 2-Butoxyethanol.

In the first 30 days of the spill, the EPA did not intervene in BP’s decision to use the more toxic, less effective dispersants in the spill. The EPA stated that it approves a list of dispersants, and oil companies are allowed to choose which dispersants to use. On May 20 the EPA issued a directive requiring BP to identify and use a less toxic and more effective dispersant. BP refused in a clash with the federal government, but slowed the use of dispersants shortly thereafter.

Are the giant, deep-sea oil plumes in the Gulf of Mexico related to the use of dispersants?

Researchers working in the BP spill zone discovered giant plumes of oil in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, estimated in size at 10 to 15 miles long and four to five miles wide. The plumes raised concerns about the subsea use of dispersants, but researchers were unable to conclusively determine if they were related. Learn more from The New York Times and Reuters.

Gee. I don't see anything about corexit causing crabs to have one eye or fish to get burns and sores. All I see is internal damage that isn't visible when you look at an organism from the outside.
Sorry if the truth is going to hurt your son's career, but there's many more lives at stake here. If your son's smart, he'd start preparing for a different kind of career just in case.

edit on 26-4-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Fortuneatly, the Survey of Marine Life finished their 10 year effort to study all oceans that summer so the baseline conditions is known for the Gulf. Just how bad things get will be very well proven-out. A lawyer should be druling at the prospect of a class-action lawsuit against BP.
I knew the area was lost when the Coast Guard ordered the Cousteau Society boats to leave and never return.
www.coml.org...
edit on 26-4-2013 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Nalco, the company that owns Corexit, it a company with very little ethics. I used to work in oilfield chemicals and they were one of our competitors. Every time I ever had a run in with them or an RFP at a plant Nalco would lie and cheat.

In one instance they lied during the entire RFP process about the chemicals they were using to look better, and ended up losing the business anyways. This was a plant they already held. Instead of taking the loss gracefully they filled all of their chemical tanks to the brim, about 2 years worth of chemical and charged the company for it. So even though they were supposed to lose that plants business they ended up getting 2 more years of business paid up front!

That is the kind of company Nalco was, so what they did the south does not surprise me.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blahblah454

Thanks for that info. Here's some more:
www.biologicaldiversity.org...

BP’s use of the more toxic, less effective Corexit dispersants is under scrutiny since the company that manufactures these dispersants, Nalco Co., has ties to the oil industry. In the 1990s, Nalco formed a joint venture company with Exxon Chemical Company and has board members and executives that have previously worked for Exxon and BP. Nalco has sold millions of dollars of dispersants for the BP spill. Nalco has also refused to disclose all of the ingredients in the Corexit products.

What a wicked pyramid!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!?!?!?!

What seafood is good to eat then? We got the Pacific filled with radiation and the Gulf filled with this crap! The Atlantic is the only thing left and as an Asian who loves seafood, I'll hunt down the next fools who try to ruin that area!!!!!

Anyone know where Red Lobster or other seafood restaurants get their supplies from? This is just madness!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Worst of it all, they surely knew that it was poison.

There's an obvious death agenda by mega corporations all in the name of control and profit. They don't care if we all go down, they just want to be on top of everyone when it does. They frankly deserve to burn in hell.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

Fish from Ensenada Mexico and Hawaii are the safe...mahi mahi, swordfish, tuna, giant squid.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Could you source where you got that bit about U.S. Military being forced to eat gulf seafood known to be contaminated?

It was British Petroleum that caused this problem and despite expensive lying TeeVee commercials telling us how much they care, they have fought like tigers to limit their liability and go on as usual. Yet you only seem to see the Federal Government as the problem; what's up with that?

By the way your stars & bars avatar is an argument for slavery not freedom.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Scientist discover the Agent used in golf spill destroying Marine Life??

We knew that then!!!! We knew it was also killing people. We watched 1 woman die before our eyes because she happened to take a moon-lite walk along the shore and the poisons got to her. By the time she got home she was already feeling the symptoms. She was dead w/ in 3-6 months.

We were screaming about those poisons then and we haven't stopped.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If it's killing marine life, next in line are the people who are dining on that marine life.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
they knew it during and post Exxon Valdez in 1988 so i'm unsure why we are having this conversation, oh that's right the EPA is bought n paid for....

don't waste your breath, the gov doesn't care and you should know that by now.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!?!?!?!

What seafood is good to eat then? We got the Pacific filled with radiation and the Gulf filled with this crap! The Atlantic is the only thing left and as an Asian who loves seafood, I'll hunt down the next fools who try to ruin that area!!!!!

Anyone know where Red Lobster or other seafood restaurants get their supplies from? This is just madness!!!!

Probably a really good time to invest in fish farms.
www.enn.com...

PORTLAND, Maine -- A Maine company and its Virginia partner are investing $30 million in a project to raise the saltwater game fish cobia, which is growing in popularity in restaurants and supermarkets.

MariCal Inc. of Portland and Blue Ridge Aquaculture Inc. have teamed up to launch Virginia Cobia Farms LLC. They hope the indoor fish-farming technology will help make cobia the new "chicken of the sea."

After all, it is an ancient practice.
www.marksdailyapple.com...

Humans have been engaging in aquaculture since antiquity, and perhaps even earlier. An Australian archaeologist, Dr. Heather Builth, has gathered evidence that the aboriginal Gunditjmara of Western Victoria built and oversaw massive eel farms, as early as 6000 BC, that sustained villages and even an industry of smoked eel products. The ancient Chinese started farming carp over 4,000 years ago and wrote the definitive book on the subject somewhere around 500 BC. During the Tang Dynasty, the Chinese discovered that certain species of freshwater carp complemented each other in the same pond, boosting productivity, saving space, and birthing polyculture fish farming. In addition to China, fish farming spread into the Indian subcontinent, ancient Egypt, the Greco-Roman world, medieval Europe, Hawaii (pre-colonial), and just about everywhere else.

We really don't need to eat what's in the ocean and Gulf.
(By the way, I'm always waiting for your avatar's eyes and face to move. He's freaky looking!)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join