It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid bill would require background checks to purchase explosives

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Okay, who didn't see this coming?

It appears the Boston bombings has woken everybody up and suddenly Black Powder is the new nuisance. Something that was never a problem before the Boston bombings, something that was never really discussed, never at the fore of people's fear.

To run a background check, people are going to be required to provide a form of identification. Another one of your freedoms being taken away, because afterall terrorists have demonstrated that they can do all sorts of nasty stuff with the readily available substance.

Let's get real, let's actually wake up to what is happening here. Problem - Bombings, people killed, people maimed, Reaction - Public outcry, fear, loathing of terrorists, Solution - Remove your freedoms, apply rigorous checks.

The terrorists do win, freedoms are removed and liberty restricted.

I appreciate some members will agree with this bill, but every time there is a terrorist attack, new legislation is introduced to impact on your freedoms.

Reid bill would require background checks to purchase explosives

Read more: thehill.com...
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

ETA:- Link
edit on 25/4/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yes. Now all those innocent people using explosives are being hassled.

Poor poor people.

Seriously the "rights" crew need to chill.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Any indication on if this would affect the average American buying fireworks to use on the fourth of July?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
double post. . .
edit on 25-4-2013 by randomtangentsrme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

Any indication on if this would affect the average American buying fireworks to use on the fourth of July?

I don't know, but according to the article, it will include other powders such as substitute and smokeless powders. I wouldn't bet against it.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Yes. Now all those innocent people using explosives are being hassled.

Poor poor people.

Seriously the "rights" crew need to chill.

Like the "gay rights crew"?

Like the "immigration rights crew"?

Like the "abortion rights crew"?

Or our you just segregating the rights of a group you do not agree with?

Bottom line, the government has to abide by the Constitution! PERIOD!

So be one of those whom only believe in it when it suits your needs, or be one of us whom believe in it whether even though we might not agree...............

You decide.....................hypocrisy seems to be the new fad in todays political circles.....

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If they ban black powder, that means no more muskets. So after they ban everything else, you wouldn't be able to use a gun period. Sign of the times.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Instead of restricting explosives, maybe we should be looking at the underlying motive behind the bombings?

They were upset because of Iraq and Afghanistan? Well, maybe we should re-think our involvement there. When you bomb and kill people, other people are going to get upset. Upset people can do some pretty crazy things.

Maybe if we addressed the elephant in the room (our foreign policies) we would create less terrorists that want to blow stuff up.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

That was my thoughts exactly, but whilst the war machine are keeping these decision makers rich (either directly or indirectly) it isn't going to happen.

The U.S needs to address its foreign policy asap. It doesn't mean backing down to genuine terrorist groups. To many people in Iraq and Afghanistan the U.S are the terrorists.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Yeah I read the article. That's one reason why I'm curious. The other reason being I work in the arts and know licensed pyros doing both indoor and outdoor pyro. It seems ridiculous to me that those that create their own effects might be put on some watch-list, or be limited in their experimentation of creating their effects.

Besides the laws that they already follow.

edit on 25-4-2013 by randomtangentsrme because: added last sentence.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
They bought fireworks (most of the volume came from reloadable "mortar" shells).

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

To be honest, I really believe this is about the U.N resolution Obama signed in 2011 in controlling arms of civilians. I cannot believe this has passed through unoticed to a large extent and when the whole question relating to the 2nd amendment is discussed, nobody mentions this.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

No, this is targeted towards re-loaders. They cant get our guns so theyre going after our bullets and re-loading equipment.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I for one would welcome a return to swords, and would fancy the return of dueling.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Berzerked

No, this is targeted towards re-loaders. They cant get our guns so theyre going after our bullets and re-loading equipment.

Thats precisely what this is about. Feinstein and Pelosi have both made ignorant comments over the years about how 'something needs done about those bullet makers'. The headlines when they bust someone who happens to have reloading equipment is always interesting. It's never termed as such but in terms making one think of a terrorist bomb factory or some nut job pumping out ammo to supply an army.

Well, I'm here to say I've been reloading for years and DO have the material to reload 10's of thousands of rounds of ammunition. I don't even have MUCH by the measure of most determined reloaders, either. Not all that much at all. You see gun shows frequently having people go out the door with cases of different types of powder and each bottle inside each case is 5lbs or more, generally speaking. This is just patently absurd ...except to rob the public of the ability to make their own ammunition.

It was only a matter of time before they came for that ....now I guess we see the crux of how the cheap politicians are playing off this tragedy. Another run at the 100+ MILLION people in this nation that own and enjoy firearms. Enough.. really... if they haven't gotten it yet, we aren't buying their B.S. and we're SICK of it.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Welcome To America

Where the hassle of having to go through a simple background check to buy explosives, is a MUCH greater loss than the loss of your child.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Millions of Americans buy powder every year and by the millions of pounds. Two whack jobs pack some pressure cookers with it ...and instead of taking the nut jobs away from the source of their destruction we want to take what they chose away from the easy access of the entire nation? What part of that aren't we agreeing is backwards??

It's bad enough you see spray paint in ARMORED and locked cages in California because they figured that would stop the graffiti problem (Yeah.. right.. that worked out well) or that you need to become registered to buy a box of cold medicine containing ephedrine to stop contraband production of illegal substances (Oh yeah.. That solved that problem too huh? 100%!) ..Now we have yet another reach down from Uncle Fed to make our lives just a BIT more difficult,.. and why?

...because two mentally unstable and dangerous men who were throwing red flags and warning signs like a Christmas tree were ignored until they chose to actually attempt mass murder. The answer? MORE LAWS ..against the law abiding of course.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
hi Wrabbit
predicted motive for the next time they able danger in the perps umm...fall guys .... for future.... falseflags
steak knives

Official United States Government Definition of Terrorism

"[An] act of terrorism, means any activity that (A) involves a violent act or an act dangerous to human life that is a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State; and (B) appears to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by assassination or kidnapping."

(United States Code Congressional and Administrative News, 98th Congress, Second Session, 1984, Oct. 19, volume 2; par. 3077, 98 STAT. 2707 [West Publishing Co., 1984])

yeoldeconsciousnessshoppe.com...
edit on 25-4-2013 by Danbones because: added quote

edit on 25-4-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Like I mentioned before, They, (I think you know who I mean) are going to use this whole Boston Tragedy to infringe upon our Right To Bare Explosives. Hate to say I told you so. But,. ,. um, .. I did.

Now with that being said, I think if we apply some of the same logic as they have for gun control can may easily deduce that:

1) Requiring a Background check is Not going to keep someone from obtaining Explosives if they really want Explosives.
2) Having a waiting period is NOT going to do a DAMN thing if they are manufacturing their own Explosives.
3) This is Only the First Step in Their Control Agenda.

This is just another waste of Tax Payers Dollars. What makes it worse is that we are basically Paying Someone to Control US.

At this point in the evolution of the Internet, Just about ANY piece of information you could possibly want is Freely available. So it is no problem looking up how to manufacture Explosives out of Materials such as Pi$$ and Blood.

If it is Not obvious I am definitely Against said Bill.

And Just because, .. . I have to throw this in .. . .. .. .. .

Explosives Don't Kill People, .. People With Explosives Kill People.
edit on 25-4-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Welcome To America

Where the hassle of having to go through a simple background check to buy explosives, is a MUCH greater loss than the loss of your child.

It's also about them knowing exactly who has what and if (when) Martial Law is declared, a very useful reference point to identify civilians who have purhcased said explosives and how much they possess.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join