page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+10 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Student wrongly tied to Boston bombings found dead

www.usatoday.com

A body pulled from the water off Indian Point Park in Rhode Island has been identified as the Brown University student mistakenly linked by amateur sleuths on a social media site to the Boston bombings.

Health Department spokeswoman Dara Chadwick said Thursday that the body of Sunil Tripathi was identified through dental records.

It was not immediately clear when Tripathi, who was last seen March 15, died. The cause of death has also not been determined.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+19 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If this does turn out to be someone killing themselves as the result of an internet vigilante campaign where people clamored to find and identify publicly anyone they could through blurry low res photographs then I think we may have just seen the Internets darkest day so far.

The event has also seen some of the people that were part of the rush to identify suspects now themselves being vilified and blamed in another kind of witch hunt.

I wonder if we as internet users could collectively agree that this should never happen again (no matter what the cause of this persons death turns out to be) and that we should leave the business of identifying suspects in murder cases to the professionals?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
wouldnt be the first time someone killed themselves because of internet bullying or wrongful internet postings...

if we are going to start censoring things.. how about we start with the media they are the ones who picked up the story on 4chan.. no one else cares what 4chan says in real life until get got put onto the MSM. so I guess we should censor MSM..

if MSM could care less about fact checking and makes mistakes all the time that cause people to die why does it matter when a website that is not a news outlet comes to their own conclusions about things that are also not based on facts.. then it becomes a problem.

+44 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I thought the student went missing before the Boston bombings?

Edit:

Yep, he was missing for a *month* before the Boston bombings...so his death/disappearance isn't related to the internet people labeling him as a suspect.
edit on 25-4-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
He was already missing when the bombings took place. It's not like he was killed because of the incorrect rumors.

RIP Sunil Tripathi...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

He did, he was missing for a month before the bombings, so most likely, he was dead when they occurred. Of course, he could STILL be tied to it, perhaps he opted out, and was killed? But, that's pure speculation. Regardless, it does seem like he was likely killed before this all went down, so the chance it was Internet vigilantes is pretty remote. I guess we'll know more when the ME gives a time and cause of death.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

So are you blaming people on social media??

Or government??

You were a bit vague, if you are blaming social media, you better get used to it!! Social media is taking over everything and it will only get worse through time!!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

If this does turn out to be someone killing themselves as the result of an internet vigilante campaign

That just as bad as those "internet detectives" since no one knows anything at this point.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I'm not talking about censorship so much, well not censorship imposed by an outside body that says what you can and cant type on the net. I'm more talking about the basic human decency of not ruining the lives of possibly innocent people by accusing them of terrible crimes in a public venue without any proof.

I suppose that could be seen as a kind of self censorship, in much the same way that not punching people randomly in the face as you walk down the road because you had a bad day is a kind of self censorship.

It's something that we probably all are guilt of in one way or another on the internet and I think it's time we had a little discussion or even an internal dialogue over the way the internet seems to make us act and decide if we think that is a positive thing for society as a whole.

The MSM's new habit of picking up tidbits of info from social media and then reporting it as fact is equally as disturbing and needs to be looked at too,

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

For sure. How was he linked to the bombings in the first place?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The MSM's new habit of picking up tidbits of info from social media and then reporting it as fact is equally as disturbing and needs to be looked at too,

Not equally as disturbing...far MORE disturbing. Unlike social media, THEY are tasked with reporting the truth, and have the responsibility of professional journalism practices. We on the web have no such responsibility.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by clemo

For sure. How was he linked to the bombings in the first place?

Reddit named him by making the connection of him being reported as missing, and resembling one of the kids in the suspect photos (suspect 2). Chances are, Sunil was dead when this all went down, as he had by then, been missing for a month.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well. I would say anyone that publishes anything for public consumption has a responsibility for that. Someone posting something on Twitter now can reach an audience as large as any MSM source.

You are right that we should be able to expect a level of professionalism from the MSM though that doesnt seem to be forthcoming

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I wonder if we as internet users could collectively agree that this should never happen again (no matter what the cause of this persons death turns out to be) and that we should leave the business of identifying suspects in murder cases to the professionals?

You are right, as we should leave the identifying of suspects to the professionals, but with the internet every blog, website, or show want to be the first to make the scoop. Which in turn could have consequences that aren't good.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

So what about the WoW Kid who commited suicide because his guild ridiculed him to the brink of such a foolish act?

I think the internet dark days are just begining. He wasn't the first. He won't be the last.

For that matter, what about the girls who were raped because of intoxication and then commited suicide because the pictures went viral?

As sad and sick as it is.... It's the only truth I see in this scenerio.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Unlike social media, THEY are tasked with reporting the truth, and have the responsibility of professional journalism practices. We on the web have no such responsibility.

Nope. They aren't.

They are tasked with making a profit for their media group and ensuring ratings/copy sales.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

What about his family, who have been hounded by the press and punters?

Don't they count? Its not just him. There has been a massive invasion of their privacy as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I am from the area (Providence, Rhode Island).

I recall them finding the body yesterday (water off India Point Park, one site says Providence River, but it could have also been the Providence Harbor), but they announced it today.

The timing is just odd, a week after the bombing, also after being identified wrongfully.

I'm guessing he was dead from awhile, since he was missing since Mid-March and they identified him using a forensic dental exam (which would be the case if the remains were deteriorated). Haven't seen a mention of an autopsy, but I'm guessing considering the nature of his death, one would be performed.

This is not a case of the missing guy killing himself over being misidentified as a bomber, or cyber bullying. Not sure if it's involved in any way to the Boston incident, other then Reedit making false identification/claims.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

He was missing for some time. Long before the Boston Bombings.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Not really much to discuss without the actual "low res blurry" pictures you people are referring to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join