It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tritium leaked from 4 of 7 reservoirs, “1,100,000,000Bq/m3 from reservoir No.1″

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

And how is it a knee jerk reaction it's been since 2011??? I would hardly call that a knee jerk reaction

Because you still think that Potassium-40 is "Safe"

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

In a banana dose sure..

Look we can go back and forth of banana doses, cosmic radiation, flights at 30,000 ft, x-rays etc..
Been there and done that over and over for the last 2 years...it doesn't really matter anymore...

Unless you would be willing to drink a glass of this water we are talking about, it's not going to change my mind. Nor am I going to change yours..

The truth is only our kids and grandkids are going to know the truth about the effects of all this...MAYBE by then tepco might have made progress to stop some of this..

Either way...thanks for sharing your point of view with us..

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

dose

You see?

Now you are starting to get it.

Unless you would be willing to drink a glass of this water we are talking about

I don't see how that is even relevant... IT's all the way over there.

Do you think that the lot of it is going to be magically transported all over the world, while still miraculously maintaining its concentration despite being dispersed?

Because unless you DO, I don't see how any of that is relevant.

Oh, and for the record, Potassium-40 is FAR more radioactive than tritium... it makes ANTI-MATTER for christs sakes...

Potassium-40 (40K) is a radioactive isotope of potassium which has a very long half-life of 1.248×109 years.

Potassium-40 is a rare example of an isotope that undergoes all three types of beta decay. About 89.28% of the time, it decays to calcium-40 (40Ca) with emission of a beta particle (β−, an electron) with a maximum energy of 1.33 MeV and an antineutrino. About 10.72% of the time it decays to argon-40 (40Ar) by electron capture, with the emission of a 1.460 MeV gamma ray and a neutrino. Very rarely (0.001% of the time) it will decay to 40Ar by emitting a positron (β+) and a neutrino.

Potassium-40 is the largest source of natural radioactivity in animals and humans. An adult human body contains about 160 grams of potassium, hence about 0.000117 x 160 = 0.0187 grams of 40K; whose decay produces about 4,400 disintegrations per second (becquerels) continuously throughout the life of the body.
en.wikipedia.org...

Either way...thanks for sharing your point of view with us..

You are quite welcome!
edit on 25-4-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: *SCIENCE!*

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by topdog81

Fukushima could possibly be the worst environmental(nuclear) disaster the Earth has ever seen.

How many people have died from Fukushima again?

You do realize that radiation is cumulative right?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by Mamatus

You are kidding correct? ANY amount of radiation is bad.

Then you better not ever eat a banana.

Or live on planet earth, for that matter.

Do you people even into Science?
edit on 25-4-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

The Banana Equivalent Dosage is ridiculous and most people don't take it seriously as it hardly qualifies as "science". Yes, to answer your question, "Do you people even into Science?", I into Science.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Goodbye West coast

Can you say Japanese Current?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Boy it takes those overeducated idiots a long time to get things fixed with all their safeguards and stupid rules. Why didn't they hire a contractor to move all those rods and shut down the place. If I was young and they would give a couple of million bucks to your family after I died, I would have gone to work there. Get fifty guys there to get the job done and it would only be a hundred million bucks and it would have been fixed long ago. I guess they want to keep the high salaries for their workers longer and just shuffle it off like a thirty year mortgage.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

How many people have died from Fukushima again?

You do realize that radiation is cumulative right?

No, it's instantaneous....

I think the word you were looking for was "Radioisotopes"

The Banana Equivalent Dosage is ridiculous and most people don't take it seriously as it hardly qualifies as "science".

Are you stating that bananas do not contain Radioactive Potassium-40, which has decay products of >MeV electrons, Gamma Radiation, and POSITRONS?

(Positron = Antimatter)

Is this what you are saying?

Oh, and just for bonus points....

A) What is the normal decay energy of Potassium-40?

B) What is the normal decay energy of Tritium?
edit on 25-4-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

Bananas are a poor example that nay sayers have neen throwing around since this happened, It is like comparing apples and elephants...

Potassium-40. Is a natural thing..you are born with it in your body...as you take more in..you pass more out.

When you find Caesium-137, iodine-131 and a host of others in bananas, then we can talk

Well said, okiecowboy.

Kinda disgraceful to see that environmental skeptics, will try to debunk even the most widely accepted scientific facts and theories. Some people are just itching for an argument.

Again, nice retort.

edit on 25-4-2013 by topdog81 because: typo

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

No, it's instantaneous....

Nope. Radiation exposure is cumulative. Perhaps you haven't seen google or the meaning of the word cumulative.

I think the word you were looking for was "Radioisotopes"

Nope again. I definitely left out the word "exposure", but radioisotopes? Nope.

Are you stating that bananas do not contain Radioactive Potassium-40, which has decay products of >MeV electrons, Gamma Radiation, and POSITRONS?

Did I? Nope again. (I'm sensing a pattern) I stated:

The Banana Equivalent Dosage is ridiculous and most people don't take it seriously as it hardly qualifies as "science".

Here is a link. Here is some info from that link:

The validity of the banana equivalent dose concept has been challenged. Critics, including the EPA, pointed out that the amount of potassium (and therefore of 40K) in the human body is fairly constant because of homeostasis, so that any excess absorbed from food is quickly compensated by the elimination of an equal amount.

Oh, and just for bonus points....
A) What is the normal decay energy of Potassium-40?
B) What is the normal decay energy of Tritium?

How many bananas are you eating that your kidneys cannot process and get rid of the excess Potassium!? ...as a side note, what the hell does your fascination with bananas have to do with this thread?

edit on 26-4-2013 by superman2012 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Nope. Radiation exposure is cumulative. Perhaps you haven't seen google or the meaning of the word cumulative.

No... Radiation is instantaneous... meaning that individual quanta of radiation effect you once, and then they no longer effect you.

Radioisotopes ARE cumulative, or at the very least have the capability to BE cumulative, as they can accumulate in your body.

Perhaps you don't know what the word cumulative means?

Nope again. I definitely left out the word "exposure", but radioisotopes? Nope.

Yes, again... maybe you don't know what any of these words mean?

Did I? Nope again. (I'm sensing a pattern) I stated:

Then why did you bring up the Banana Equivalent Dose?

I didn't.

I merely brought up the fact that Bananas have radioactive Potassium-40 in it.

Are you stating that Bananas don't have Radioactive Potassium-40?

How many bananas are you eating that your kidneys cannot process and get rid of the excess Potassium!? ...as a side note, what the hell does you fascination with bananas have to do with this thread?

Potassium-40 radioisotopes have more energy than tritium.

I was trying to put the "OMG RADIATION" scare into perspective.

Again, are you stating that Bananas don't contain Radioactive Potassium-40?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I even into science too.

2nd

This does really concern me. Worse is that I can't really do anything about it.
edit on 26-4-2013 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Where did anyone say bananas are not radioactive?

In fact what is your point with all this??

Are you trying to say tritium in those amounts are safe?
What exactly are you going on about?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Where did anyone say bananas are not radioactive?

That's what I'm trying to find out.....

In fact what is your point with all this??

With all of what?

Are you trying to say tritium in those amounts are safe?
What exactly are you going on about?

Are you trying to say that Radioactive material all the way on the other side of the planet is any threat to you at all?

How many people are anywhere near the reactor, by the way?

Who does this radiation effect?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
We are going to poison all life in the oceans. It's that Simple. And they are still lying about how serious it is. Water retains all energetic information, good or bad. Our future will be just like the movie Children of Men. As a species, we are beyond stupid. "We learn from history, that we learn nothing from history".-Thomas Jefferson

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Dammit, there goes the planet. Also I wanted to ring the bell to let everyone know the round is over. Go to your corners.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

Dammit, there goes the planet.

The planet will be fine:

To give you a good example (Rule of thumb) it is estimated that the Oceans naturally contain about 10,000,000,000,000 kilograms of Radioactive Uranium

or 250,000,000,000,000 Becquerels worth. Diluted, and dispersed, of course.
en.wikipedia.org...

In addition to this, the Biosphere of the Earth contains roughly 11,000,000,000,000,000,000 Becquerels worth of Carbon-14
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

So no effect on ocean life?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join