It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

seti is burning up!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I have a prblem with seti on my laptop which has a lot to do with the resources that it uses (i think). My laptop is pretty good speck: 3.2ghz / 512mb ram but when seti is running its almost to hot to have on my lap,it says before u download seti that at least 16mb of ram and something like 400mhz is needed but it must be using much more than that on my system. Is there anything i can do about it? Has anybody had similiar problems?

BTW i have completed 28 WU's with 137 hours processor time.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Hi,

Here�s the explanation. SETI will use ALL of your available CPU time if given the chance. 400Mhz is just a suggestion to allow it to run through a batch of data in a reasonable amount of time. Technically it can run on a 1Mhz computer, and process on unit of data in a few months time.

You processor is being heavily loaded by the program. It is probably using quite a bit of the Pentium�s math pipeline so your processor is near it�s max watts heat output.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Actually, this is something that I�ve been meaning to pick Spectres brains over. I recently got myself a laptop and installed SETI on it. I noticed that when it was running, the fan was constantly pumping out hot air from the side of it, so I�ve not run it since. I�m assuming that there is some sort of issue with laptops then? Shame, I�ve now got SETI installed on two desktops and my laptop, but due to this problem and the fact that my husband and kids keep running games on the Pcs , I�m still only pumping out roughly 6 WU�s a day.

new topics

join