seti is burning up!

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I have a prblem with seti on my laptop which has a lot to do with the resources that it uses (i think). My laptop is pretty good speck: 3.2ghz / 512mb ram but when seti is running its almost to hot to have on my lap,it says before u download seti that at least 16mb of ram and something like 400mhz is needed but it must be using much more than that on my system. Is there anything i can do about it? Has anybody had similiar problems?

BTW i have completed 28 WU's with 137 hours processor time.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Hi,

Hereís the explanation. SETI will use ALL of your available CPU time if given the chance. 400Mhz is just a suggestion to allow it to run through a batch of data in a reasonable amount of time. Technically it can run on a 1Mhz computer, and process on unit of data in a few months time.

You processor is being heavily loaded by the program. It is probably using quite a bit of the Pentiumís math pipeline so your processor is near itís max watts heat output.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Actually, this is something that Iíve been meaning to pick Spectres brains over. I recently got myself a laptop and installed SETI on it. I noticed that when it was running, the fan was constantly pumping out hot air from the side of it, so Iíve not run it since. Iím assuming that there is some sort of issue with laptops then? Shame, Iíve now got SETI installed on two desktops and my laptop, but due to this problem and the fact that my husband and kids keep running games on the Pcs , Iím still only pumping out roughly 6 WUís a day.

new topics

join