It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteers Go To Mars, The Catch? You Never RETURN

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Im in,

the way this planet is going, everyone around me makes me sick
( just jokes)

Im keen though.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Sounds like they will be freezing their asses off, radiation issues, food supplies that could falter, all sorts of problems could arise

Unless the problems of radiation, power, water, building materials, repairing and replacing Mars suits, and the rest are solved, you’ve just sentenced yourself to a life in prison, and that prison is the closest thing to hell that any living person can experience over protracted periods. Without hope, Mars One is doomed today.

Source

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The trip there takes 8 months.

Skip over the problems with four people traveling in cramped quarters for the eight-month trip to Mars. They pale in comparison to living on the planet.

Once the colony reaches 20
No supplies from Earth!
They're on their own. Something breaks, figure it yourself.

The habitat consists of modules that will arrive on Mars over a period of years and will be moved into place by a Mars rover. The first colonists will do the final assembly. Every two years, four more colonists will arrive until the total population consists of twenty immigrants. At that point, the colony intends to be self-sustaining, requiring no additional supplies from Earth. No kidding!

Link
edit on 26-4-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a good chance to repopulate earth.FOR GOOD

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BruceEFury

OR MAYBE IT'S JUST THE PREQUEL TO:HEY LETS SEND ALL THESE CRIMINALS AND ELSE TO MARS.LET THEM BUILD,AND REPENT.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Sounds like how my country was started.

"One way trip" "starting a colony"

Funnily enough we haven't grown up much....

We are a country of now-23 million who are scared about change - arguing with eachother about small things, and tell the rest of the world to f*ck off because we don't have enough room... apparently

I guess you could say we were once seen as the "mars" of earth.

hahaha i whole heartedly endorse this comedy show... i mean space *cough* mission

Then again, the dutch originally saw this land as a complete waste of time before the british found us... so maybe i'll give them the benefit of the doubt
edit on 26-4-2013 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
With element 115 (which reacts with light ie. tachyon drive) you could travel millions of miles in seconds. The fabric of space can be manipulated. But wait, it dosen't exist...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This mission is wrong on so many levels.
1. Sex. What do people do about sex? What happens if you get raped?
2 What laws apply?
3. What happens if one member kills another?
4. There is apparently a "reality TV" aspect to the mission. What happens if the owners want someone to do something stupid to increase the ratings? They could promise somene benefits to their family on earth if they say assault someone.
5. What happens if someone goes mad and trys to kill the other members?
6. What happens if members decide to kill one of the other members because they" don't like them"?
7. What happens if one of the members trys to destroy the space ship while the others are asleep?
8. Perhaps the corporate company will be conducting experiments on yo without you knowing. its got to be so tempting having control over people like that.

I think this idea is very dodgy. I would only consider a flight like this if I could come back.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think this is great. It's just one element adding to the critical mass of humans on Mars. Elon Musk has also stated that he'll put a man on mars by 2020 I believe? We already have multiple sats and rovers there with more to come. It's going to happen.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

I did this one too the same day as you refer to.. Well this one seems to interest people more so I would say , let the OP go for it...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ispyed
This mission is wrong on so many levels.
1. Sex. What do people do about sex? What happens if you get raped?
2 What laws apply?
3. What happens if one member kills another?
4. There is apparently a "reality TV" aspect to the mission. What happens if the owners want someone to do something stupid to increase the ratings? They could promise somene benefits to their family on earth if they say assault someone.
5. What happens if someone goes mad and trys to kill the other members?
6. What happens if members decide to kill one of the other members because they" don't like them"?
7. What happens if one of the members trys to destroy the space ship while the others are asleep?
8. Perhaps the corporate company will be conducting experiments on yo without you knowing. its got to be so tempting having control over people like that.

I think this idea is very dodgy. I would only consider a flight like this if I could come back.

I'm sure when the first people voyaged to the new world there was similar questions (minus the Reality TV part). They had to police themselves, and people on mars will as well. I really don't see it as a problem. They will set up their own justice system and enforce it.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

There are so many questions about what can go wrong, but it appears they haven't explained enough.

Personally I think they will go completely mad. Its inevitable.
I don't know what fool would say yes to this mission if they can't come back. It will be people who hate life and think this is a way out. So right away it will be people with mental issues, predisposition to suicidal thoughts.
Look at the applicants on the website. I don't really believe these applicants get considered. Those were a joke to watch. You can't just have any old Tom, Dick or Harry on this one way ticket to Hell. It would need to be scientists, doctors, engineers.

The one way is what would eat away at them, because there is NO escape, ever.They die there and apparently its up to them what they do with the corpse. So there might not be any laws.

There will be no medical help if somebody gets seriously ill. Its a recipe for disaster.
They could become sterile from radiation exposure.

edit on 26-4-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
We need to take these risky steps if we are to advance as a species.
How many get killed every day on our roads or in wars?
Yet we continue to drive,and make war.

To give your life conquering in some small way our final frontier,is a noble and worthy cause indeed I think.

I would apply to go,but I couldn't deal with not being able to see my family and friends and even pets ever again.
Plus I am too old at 38.
It would really take a special type of person to leave Earth behind forever and not end up going mad,and I hope they find the right folks for the job.

I will happily donate them a days wages if they get this up and running though.
The TV show is how they want to get money,and I can't wait to subscribe to it.

BTW
Yesterday I emailed MarsOne to ask if they would name one of their habitats after Iain M Banks,one of Earths greatest science fiction writers ever IMO,who is very sadly terminally ill.
See link in my sig.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Screw Mars.

Let's Colonize the Moon!!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Thank you all for your reply's I haven't checked this post since Ive putten it out and great opinions.
My personal matter on the subject is that if you had nothing left in the world why not? What would you have to lose? I guess it's an adventure for some, an oppurtunity for others to partake in such a historical event. But i'm out I like good ol earth. :]

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think ultimately you'd end up with 20 casualties on a year or two. Human error, or possibly contagion from some form of Martian germ or microbe or whatnot.
One thing I'v found every different place I'v lived, is that each new environmental zone has had a different type of parasite or pest to contend with, and some as few as 50 miles apart.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I've been to mars seriously! Like Andrew D. Basiago It indeed has an atmosphere NASA doctored the shot to give mars a GREY sky

This is an historic panoramic image of the Martian surface by Spirit's cameras showing the true unaltered color of the sky ever released A LIGHT BLUE / MAUVE SKY, its actual color when the dust storms are not present . Could this be due to President Obama's expected announcement that the US will return to the Moon and Mars in 2023?
edit on 26/4/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

I posted this on an earlier thread...

So Who's Going to Mars from ATS

Scheduled for 2023, 10 years from now, one way trip, be one of the first settlers who will dig enough Mars dirt to cover the living capsules to protect against radiation, catch cancer, become infertile (way past that problem). What a sales pitch. Myself, i will be happily 10 years into retirement for which i have worked my whole life towards, not gonna give up on that dream for this trip. Anyway, I wonder what will be left of Mars after C/2013 A1 Siding Spring either flies by or smacks right into it October 19, 2014 -- they might be a little premature in their planning and might have to return everyone's donation money after this little comet does it's thing.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Is this where the designation Wallmartians comes from?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

In 2022 there will be a launch to Mars. Volunteers are welcome but on the premise that they will never return home

Here's a question: why the hell would anyone want to go to Mars and stay there? From what I have seen, there would be no logical reason whatsoever why a human being would be interested in living on that planet. What is there on Mars that is even remotely appealing to a human being other than the excitement of visiting......VISITING.....another planet. No water, no trees, no animals....NOTHING.

I ask the same question everytime I hear people get all worked up about colonizing the moon. Who would want to live there? WHO? Are you kidding me?

HAHAHA "Andrew Basigo" would disagree!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join