It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iain M Banks is dying. :(

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Truly sorry to hear this and like other folks on this thread I also think this man is a legend -have been reading some of the remarks on his guestbook page and they just about sum things up and show how very, very highly this man is regarded.

His sci-fi books are second to none and am halfway through his new one -seems bizarre to think there may be no more Culture novels and an entire, teeming universe will be ended with one man's imagination.

Extremely sad news.

Originally posted by Kandinsky

He never came close to cliché and yet when I think of his work I can't avoid the cliché of describing him as a rare genius. It's like he's somehow tapped into the essential source of creativity - phenomenal.

I really do think phenomenal is the right word to use my friend and in years to come his work will get the global widespread recognition it deserves - don't know if you've seen this Derren Brown clip with Ian Banks but they look to be having a very nice time drinking whiskey in a Scottish castle.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

People dying of cancer should be a rare thing but the governments and even some web sites prohibit and discourage the discussion of proven cures .

Sad really

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thank you karl,I had not seen that video.
Man,I am gutted for the guy.
I wish for some kind of miracle,or a treatment which cures him.
It has happened to a select few.
I am having real problems believing we will see no more culture novels.

Originally posted by R0CR13
People dying of cancer should be a rare thing but the governments and even some web sites prohibit and discourage the discussion of proven cures .
Sad really

Very sad-plus the fact that our planet has pretty much had a "simulated"nuclear armageddon of over two thousand nuclear bombs in the the form of "tests"between 1950-1990.
That is why cancer is now so prevelant IMO.
The governments gave it to us all as a gift.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Sad news indeed.
I discovered Mr Banks about 6 years ago and have read several of his books, a great writer and an incredible scope of imagination.
My best wishes to him and his family.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If there are any remote healers out there willing to work on Mr. Banks here are the focus points. His new wife, Adele, even wrote that they are looking at all the medical suggestions that are being posted on his website.

Let's put Iain in our thoughts for a moment and focus on the areas described, for a moment, and think 'cancer free'.

I have cancer. It started in my gall bladder, has infected both lobes of my
liver and probably also my pancreas and some lymph nodes, plus one tumour is massed around a group of major blood vessels in the same volume, effectively ruling out any chance of surgery to remove the tumours. Source friends.banksophilia.com...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Not just an outstanding science-fiction writer, as he also writes contempory (and historical) fiction under the moniker Iain Banks (as mentioned already by Kandinsky). His work without the M (as in middle name) tends to be on the slightly strange side, but equally good as his science fiction. One of his books had about one third written in Scottish brogue, and was challenging to say the least (from memory I think it was 'The Bridge')

I hope that he has a peaceful passing from this realm to the next.
He will be missed.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
RIP Iain Banks

friends.banksophilia.com...

From Adele “Iain died in the early hours this morning. His death was calm and without pain.”

So, so sad.

I'll raise a wee dram to him tonight; he'd approve of that.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
My favourite scifi writer of all time. I would even buy his Culture novels as soon as they came out in hardback.

This is a very, very sad day.

RIP

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I am struggling to type.
I have only just found this out.

Words cannot describe how your stories inspired me Iain.
May your visions be remembered for millenia,and read by travellers in far off worlds when we get there.

Our planet has lost an incredible author and man.
I will treasure his work always.

Prayers for his family.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Right now, I'm actually glad.

I'm glad I had to read his Wasp Factory at university and I'm glad he died peacefully and swiftly. I'm glad that one of the best contemporary writers was able to write so many awesome books and achieve recognition during his lifetime...instead of that too little, too late respect we often see.

Google News has over 4000 hits reporting his death and that's worth smiling about too.

I was often impressed by the incredibly high-volume of output he generated and it was always high-end in quality.

What else can be said?

Top guy indeed.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

He really was an insanely talented man my friend -especially when it came to Sci-Fi.

RIP Ian Banks.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Possibly the best book I have ever read:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'm bummed. Iain M Banks created a universe that I wished I lived in. Now he's back in the Matrix Mainframe.
I liked these covers the best.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join