It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The power grid of the future will be controlled by neurons in a Petri dish!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
"If engineers at Clemson University and the Georgia Institute of Technology have their way, the power grid of tomorrow will be governed by a network of living neurons, grown in a Petri dish, and attached to a computer. For now, the researchers have successfully used a simulation of the power grid to “teach” the living neurons, and then used their new-found mastery of power generation and transmission to control electric generators attached to a real power system.

As you may know, the power grid in most countries, the USA included, is… antiquated — and that’s putting it kindly. There are thousands of power plants in the US, and according to the Department of Energy the average power plant was built in the 1960s, using even older technology. Today, according to the National Science Foundation, the average substation transformer is 42 years old. These substations connect almost 200,000 miles of high-voltage transmission lines to hundreds of thousands of miles of distribution lines that run to our homes — and due to the inveterate, antediluvian nature of the beast, disruption of a single high-voltage line can cause a cascading failure, resulting in a blackout that affects millions of people. The Northeast Blackout of 2003, which affected 55 million people across Canada and the US, was caused by a high-voltage line touching a tree."

I thought this rather interesting. I wonder if this is just another method of control TPTB have in mind for us, could this technology be used to monitor and record, and then even limit the a amount of power available to the end user? Or is it the next logical step required in building a world power grid?

Your opinions please fellow ATS members.

www.extremetech.com...

edit on 25-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Wow, all I can say is that this sounds all too futuristic. If this is true, it reminds me of the ancient alien shows and how they keep on saying that the tremendous advancement in our technology is not of this world but from the minds of aliens trying to help us.

We certainly need this type of help with Japan and it's nuclear plant ongoing disaster, where were they before we got ourselves into this mess.

Ok, this response sounds weird even for me, what can I say... It's the middle of the night and I can't sleep

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What is this, Pinky and The Brain finally taking control of the world??? A string of neurons will be the mastermind of the entire world's power grid? Yes! And it's about time that a string of neurons took command. How could we have been so blind to not let a string of neurons rule us before....

But what happens if something kills some of the neurons (spilled alcohol or something), and that part of the grid goes dark. Then the rest of the neurons revolt, and decide to only send electricity to Wales - would the fine people of Wales then become the "hand" of the string of neurons, and do its bidding?

Beware the giant synopse on your right! Think of the children!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

"But what happens if something kills some of the neurons (spilled alcohol or something)"

I would imagine the same thing happens as with any other electrical device, meaning fizz then pop and dam I hope that's still under warranty. LoL.

I can see the point through, it would probably be a lot easier to change out components than neurons. My major concern, could this type of system be susceptible to a biological virus? I would not wish to get up one morning only to find that there is no power available, simply because the national grid has the common cold!
edit on 26-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

How long until it develops its own consciousness and starts getting moody.
Sorry earthlings,no electric for you today petri is in a mood.

It may actuallly be cool if they could get the neurons to speak through the computer-how weird would that be?
In fact that is exactally what they are doing in a way,through the signals the neurons are sending to the computer.

Pretty awesome stuff really!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You guys should check this out then. Supposedly insider sources say the US Gov have a complete human brain grown in a petri dish that is linked up to the internet/collective consciousness and is giving them all sorts of info:

Article Entitled: "The Beast"

Also this tech is at least 7-8 years old now:
CNN (2006) Rat Brain Grown in Petri Dish Successfully Flies Flight Simulator

Crazy times ahead!!!!! Skynet???? Possibly

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
...I thought this rather interesting. I wonder if this is just another method of control TPTB have in mind for us, could this technology be used to monitor and record, and then even limit the a amount of power available to the end user? Or is it the next logical step required in building a world power grid?
...Your opinions please fellow ATS members.

Interesting find - OP.
They will need millions, billions, trillions and even quadrillions of dollars...in government & industrial grants & funding to finish the research... Then twice, thrice and a four-slice to get it developed, and a prototype implemented... And then...it will only serve a small piece of the "funding" (taxed) public.
Hey - just like all the new technology and pharmacia...that places the end product out of reach...
Great idea!

new topics

top topics

join