It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

72,000 Ladybugs Released in Mall of America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

And some 72,000 ladybugs have found a home within the Mall of America, where mall managers have released the insects inside the fully enclosed shopping and entertainment complex.

The Bloomington, Minn., mall, which is so huge it could hold seven Yankee Stadiums, also has more than 30,000 live plants, including about 400 trees, which act as natural air purifiers for the indoor mall.

This is pretty awesome. Instead of using pesticides, they went the natural way.

The mall has released ladybugs in the past as an alternative to commercial pesticides, the International Business Times reports.

I grew up in Apple Valley, not too far away from the Mall of America, and would go there every now and then when I was a kid. (I loved their Snoopy Roller Coaster ride that went around the mall). I really need to go back and visit sometime soon, havent been there in atleast 6 or 7 years.

The family also tried something similar a few years ago in our own garden. Instead of ladybugs, we chose praying mantis's. I dont think it worked out too well thought (I think most of them just died).

Also, some other cool stuff about the mall :

The Mall of America has other green initiatives: It converts its restaurants' fryer fat into biodiesel fuel for the mall's security vehicles, according to the site's MOABlog.

And though it's located in the Twin Cities area (known for brutal winter weather), the complex has no central heating system. Instead, it uses passive solar heat from its 1.2 miles of skylights to warm the space.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

These insects will "reflex bleed" when agitated, releasing hemolymph from their legs. The liquid has a foul odour (similar to that of dead leaves) and can cause stains. Some people have allergic reactions, including allergic rhinoconjunctivitis when exposed to these beetles.

Sometimes, the beetles will bite humans, presumably in an attempt to acquire salt. Bites normally do no more harm than cause irritation although a small number of people are allergic to bites.

Harmonia axyridis

Great, a swarm of pretty bugs oozing stinking, allergenic blood from their legs, presumably with a taste for human salt secretions. And they bite.

Sounds like a fun day at the mall to me.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
At least no one reported this as a biological attack... which is great! Well... considering...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Great, a swarm of pretty bugs oozing stinking, allergenic blood from their legs, presumably with a taste for human salt secretions. And they bite.

Well......thanks for ruining my night....

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

buni,

I'm sorry, I was trying to be funny and just completely failed to be sensitive to your OP at all. Please accept my apology; given the opportunity I would edit my post, if for nothing else but to save me the humiliation.

I hope that you have a good day.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

lol, its all good.

....but if one of those ladybugs landed on me and decided to bite.....Im going to smash smash smash. Then ill problably hunt a few other of them down and smash them to.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

These insects will "reflex bleed" when agitated, releasing hemolymph from their legs. The liquid has a foul odour (similar to that of dead leaves) and can cause stains. Some people have allergic reactions, including allergic rhinoconjunctivitis when exposed to these beetles.

Sometimes, the beetles will bite humans, presumably in an attempt to acquire salt. Bites normally do no more harm than cause irritation although a small number of people are allergic to bites.

That must be rare. I've got hundreds in my garden, and have had hundreds land on me through my life, and I never knew that about them.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Rare, but they definitely can, and do, bite.

top topics

join