It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANZAC day, Australia celebrates the gun.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Today in Australia we pay tribute to those fallen and returned soldiers who have fought in the wars our country has participated.
We honour their memories and their sacrifice to defend what makes our little country good.
What I have noted in the media has been the amount of firearms displayed. We see pictures and movies of soldiers carrying weapons and using them, for the defence of freedom.
Though most Australians cant be trusted with guns we celebrate how effective they were used in defending the soldiers and our freedom. If those soldiers had no weapons...

The US gun debate receives considerable attention over here, even to the point of the mornings West Australian newspaper sledging the US NRA. The political cartoon depicts a bag with a bomb in it with the writing "Via Chechnya", next to it is an assortment of automatic rifles labelled NRA. Indicating that both groups are terrorists organisations. Its an Alston cartoon and sadly I cant find a link to it anywhere.

I guess my concern is that while we may mark ANZAC day as a time to remember those who fought and fallen, many want to deny others the right those many fought and died for. Freedom.

Just seems funny that on ANZAC day a political cartoon attacks the US NRA while our country acknowledges soldiers using guns to defend the country.

Just as an aside here is a quote by Mustafa Attaturk to the familys of the dead Australian, New Zealand and UK soldier who attacked the Turks and lost their lives.
“Heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives! You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.”
― Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Shut up. Just shut up!

Get over it dude.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Get over what exactly, that the rest of the world view gun totting
Americans as terrorists?
Meh, I think the world is putting pressure is on the NRA not me sunshine. I just think its worthy of note.
I just think that the US second amendment is worth protecting, not gunna change my life.
edit on 25-4-2013 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

To the majority of Aussies, ANZAC day pays tribute to those who fell protecting freedom, you are correct.
But to others it's about mateship and defining ourselves as a true nation(I dont get that one)
Don't get bothered by some twat who drew a stupid pic in the local newspaper.
ANZAC day has nothing to do with American political issues, the cartoonist is just being a wanker.
Enjoying the company of friends and family and having a beer or two is what ANZAC day personally means for me. I like to think all of the fallen would like it that way.

new topics

top topics

join