It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daughter Plays Fastpitch Softball

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

I am hoping there are folks here that can help me overcome my lack of knowledge regarding Fast-pitch Softball and educate me on what I need to do to help my daughter. My daughter is 15 and a Freshman playing on her HS JV team. She is left handed hitting and throwing and plays 2nd base. She's a strong defender and bats 3rd on her team. She is a very good hitter and hits with power. She can also play SS, 1B and OF. She isn't fast but hustles well and has an excellent attitude and gives 100% effort. She has been playing since she was 9 on rec league teams.

Here is my problem. She has recently expressed to me how much she loves softball and that she would like to continue playing at the college level. I don't know that much about women's sports and just figured she did it go fun, but now she is getting really serious about her sport. I feel I have let her down by not being educated on club teams and private coaching etc. Is it too late to help her get a college opportunity? Any college level is fine.

She is by far the best JV player on her team (coach says that to me and uses her play as example to other girls). What do I need to know to help her? What resources are there? Is it too late for club teams? Basically help, lol. I don't know what I don't know and hope there is someone out there that can help me to help her.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Talk to your daughter's coach. Many girls from my area have received full ride college scholarships for fast pitch softball. While there were no high school teams when I was young most of the schools in my area have had them for several years now and college scouts frequent games in the area. There are scholarships available, you just need to get scouts to your local games- your daughter's coach might be able to entice a few to come out.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I think that if she is really interested in playing it and is serious about it you must definitely support her. You can try to hire a good coach so that she can cope up and start playing with the college team. You can get information regarding it from hottest softball bats.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Get her on a travelling competitive softball team. A lot of scouts show up at those for colleges. Also, have her attend a softball skills camp or two at the colleges she is interested in starting now. The college coaches are there and will know her name and know her as a high school freshman through senior and see her progress.

Its not softball but my daughter did this for cheerleading. Granted she ended up blowing out her knee her junior year of high school and had to stop gymnastics and cheerleading or according to her Ortho Surgeon she would need a knee replacement at the age of 19. BUT, she was already a shoe-in her junior year of high school for the University of Louisville all girl cheerleading squad. She went to every cheer camp U of L from the time she was in 5th grade until she blew out her knee. They knew her.

It is sad, but honestly, being known AND having skills is what it takes.

Find a college camp and get that girl enrolled in it!!

top topics

join