It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marion Co. (Florida) schools lift ban on paddling students

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
When I was a kid, paddling was allowed, and served as a good deterrent to unruly behavior, as I myself, was on the receiving end very few times. We had a choice though, the paddling or call my father. I chose the paddling, without question, every time.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Great Idea, Now all that paddle needs is some 3 inch holes drilled through it..

Give that paddle some better aero dynamics and now we are on to something!!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
I think it's a good Idea, and I also think it should be done by a third party, not the teacher..

My senior year....it was the wood shop teacher...he had arms like a weight lifter, and man did it sting, I still remember rubbing my butt for a couple hours after

amusingly it was my woodworking teacher that "used a paddle as well"
it was technically illegal, BUT the WAY he used it made a lot of sense.

this is how it worked. if he saw a safety violation or or horseplay in the shop he would call out "loose a mark" and point at you. at that point you could either CHOOSE to loose a mark for the class OR you could CHOOSE "the board of education". if you chose "the board of education", you would receive a quick tap to the behind in front of the class. from those that received this punishment (i never got nailed for anything), they barely even felt the hit. it was done more as an embarrassment thing, since they were publicly "disciplined" (read humiliated in front of their peers) for the breach of safety. after one or two people received it at the beginning of the year it was rarely needed, yet hung on the blackboard as a reminder to be safe. remember wood shop has a lot of very dangerous tools that can do serious harm and kill in an instant. he also had a second safety reminder for everyone to keep safety in mind, and that was the fact that HE had at one time cut off most of a finger while not working safe. the same finger he used to point at you when he yelled "loose a mark".

sadly "the board of education" had had a bad crack in it for years. finally one day it broke. then one kid talking at a family dinner mentioned it in front of a "lawyer type". next thing we knew this teacher was forced to retire. sadly the school lost not only one of the BEST teachers it had, but a master craftsman as well. people were building quality items, such as pool tables, entertainment centers, a BOAT even a full scale replica of a world war one aircraft under his tutelage, as well as almost anything else that could be made from wood. he and some top students even completely rebuilt the old battered grand piano that the school had.

what did we get as a replacement? a "cabinet maker" that barely knew how to use plywood, forget anything using real wood. projects went from top quality items to crappy things made from plywood, as that was all this idiot knew, those of us that had worked with the old teacher had to rely on each other to complete projects that had been started before, as this new teacher hadn't a clue how to actually "work" wood.

that wasn't even the WORST part of it. this teacher had NO CONTROL of the class. just as one example. one kid decided to drill my hat (while i was still wearing it), i asked him to stop. this idiot teacher "nicely" asked him to stop a couple times. the kid payed no attention. once the kid had started to twist and damage the hat as well as twisting my hair and starting to actually damage ME. i ripped the drill out of his hands and whipped it at him. I got sent down to the principles office for discipline for throwing the drill. this teacher was AFRAID to confront students over horseplay and misbehavior, his classes were out of control. kids payed little attention to safety. he even ended up with a student seriously injuring himself on one of the machines. all because he had no REAL WAY to insure discipline in the class,

i would agree that a third party be responsible for any "paddling", to insure that an angry teacher does not take things too far. but other than that i say PADDLE AWAY. forget about things like "once a semester" it should be used as often as necessary, no parent permission needed. it should NOT be used for things like "imaginary guns, eating things into a gun shape", for "dress code issues" etc. but in cases of safety issues and bullying, and cases where it is multiple same infractions that the parents have been well notified in advance and warned it will happen if the behavior continues.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I disagree with you OP, this is a horrible thing in my opinion. This happened to me in the late 80s and early 90s.

When I was a child I moved to the State of Georgia, My English was "different" and had a thick French accent and didn't get along with a lot of people because of it. Anyways, not only were the kids prejudiced of me for being Canadian, but the teachers and Principal were too.

I got in a lot of fights when I was there and it was always me who would catch the blame. I was sent to the principal's office various times to receive the paddle. Everytime it happened I would cry and would be forced to return to class with tears in my eyes which caused more ridicule from my classmates which lead to more fist fights.

Anyways # you principal Harper, you miserable old fart.

Thankfully my parents moved me to a different school once they found out I was getting paddled after I finally told them. As a child I was afraid they would be mad at me for getting in trouble at school.

This is a very stupid move on behalf of Marion County

And OP, I am disgusted that you would allow a stranger to physically punish your child, you need some serious help. If anyone paddled my child I would take a baseball bat to them in response, maybe worse.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I am absolutely amazed at how many of you actually support this just because it happened to you when you were a kid.

You almost sound like Dennis Leary:

"My parents used to beat the living # out of me, okay? And I'm glad they did, and I'm looking forward to beating the # out of my kids!"

Words cannot describe how surprised I am at some of the responses in this thread.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I would be suing any school or politician that enabled any school to paddle any kid. And to those who are advocating this you guys need some heavy duty counseling and deprogramming. So sickening.

Paddling a child is CRIMINAL. It's called ASSAULT.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
When I was growing up in Florida, our elementary school's principal was known to paddle kids. I personally never met the man, and coincidentally, it was the only school my brother attended and didn't get into trouble on a daily basis. At that school, (rumor had it) the principal was "the mean green paddling machine". I was under the impression (at age 7) that both the principal and the paddle were "mean and green". I can assure you victims were few and far between. Everyone was terrified at the thought of getting swatted by whatever was going on in that principal's office! Most kids were well behaved and respected their teachers.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Sometimes it take a tap to the butt to engage the brain.

About time.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
A few points of opinion:

A society that allows corporal punishment for children yet bans it for adults needs to take a long, hard look at itself.

A paddle instills fear in children, not respect.

As a former secondary school teacher of 16 years experience, I can't think of a single incident where a paddling (or similar punishment) would have been the best option.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

What then is an alternative?

Looking at the public school system, asking them nicely to behave isn't working.

Three warning and then barring them from the school system? Could ruin a kid for life

Charge the parents with a misdemeanor? I would agree to it, as it is their responsibility to raise a child.

++ to those that say "I would hit the teacher" or "I would go after them with a bat". Perhaps that is the type of parenting that leads to misbehaved kids++

Simply put parents need to raise their kids to be respectful members of the community. Kids that run rough shod at home are the ones doing the same in public.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Paddling was never a deterrent in my school. In fact if you were paddled by the principal it was a badge of honor; almost a rite of passage.

So........

Let's get real if it's a deterrent and punishment you want. Strip the offender naked and allow the student body to use any kind of implement such as whips, chains, canes, belts, etc on the body of the accused.

Paddling seems so "old school" It's time to really make those students pay for their misdeeds.

Perhaps we can even have the school board allocate money for a special torture room so their screams won't disturb those that really come to learn and get an education.

of course the above is sarcasm...

But if any adult assaults my child in school, or out of school they better be prepared for something a bit more damaging than a paddling. They would wish to hell they had of gone into heating and airconditioning rather than education.
edit on 25-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Regardless of anyone's stance on disiplining or not by the school systems. We as parents are facing a tougher, smarter generation of children that pull the string farther than any of us as a child growing up. Kids are unruly, and disobediant. They don't just talk back, they are throwing punches back, then state "IF YOU TOUCH ME I"M CALLING CDC" and the parent cowar's down like a puppy. As a parent would you sit idly by and let your child lash out at you? If you say yes, then you are part of the problem. If you say no, then congratulations the future generations have a fighting chance. At the very least a few children do. So it's not the school's that need to disipline. It's the parents. I've seen to many "novice parents" for lack of calling them derelicts let there children run them ragged and then say. "Well... I just don't know what to do" NO DISIPLINE and let the same behavior re-occure time and time again. Like a skipped record and then blame the schools for not disiplining the child. IT"S NOT THERE JOB~! Hence my comment of. "If you touch my child, I will touch you the same way" Take it for what it's worth, wake up!~ BE A PARENT! If you can't do the above stated, then you should have had the child in the first place.

Side note. I was caught steeling growing up. My Mother wooped me with a piece of Crafting wood.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

What then is an alternative?

The answer is simple...

Tell the parents how their child behaved and let the parents decide what the punishment should be, the teacher/principal is in no position to decide whether or not a student should be physically/emotionally harmed. In fact, in my opinion, a child should never be physically harmed, and some punishments might be emotional at the time for the child but they will usually get over it depending on the severity of the punishment.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Marion Co. (Florida) schools lift ban on paddling students

This paddling ruling will be overturned when some irate parent kicks the livin **** out of a principal, teacher, other administrator or member of the school board.

Or perhaps a gang of students can take matters into their own hands and dispense a bit of punishment on their own, in the school parking lot. to the teachers, principals etc that get off on corporal punishment. No wonder they want to arm teachers; they're gonna need it. Not to protect the students but to protect themselves from the students.

Another Brick in The Wall...
www.youtube.com...

edit on 25-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn

Originally posted by Robonakka
Paddling has it's place in school. But there needs to be solid barriers to prevent the abuse I endured in school. A school year lasts 180 days. In the 6th grade I got paddled 100 times. One nearly every day. I got them when school started because the principal would say "You're going to do something to deserve it so let's go ahead and get it out of the way." Then they put me in a closet in the office and left me there until school ended. I spent at least half of the 6th grade either being paddled or in that closet.

What happened to me must NEVER happen to anyone else, EVER. But as long as no kids are being beaten for un then I am ok with it.

And that is exactly why I say I'd want them to call me instead. It has it's place, but I just don't trust anyone outside of who cares for my kids the most to make that final call. It can and has been abused. My husband had that same issue with his school. I'd say any school who has that power should at the very least be obligated to notify a parent before it happens. I personally would go a step further and be the one to show up to do it (if I felt it was deserved). I would want my kid to know that the teachers have the power to influence me into it so they show respect and know the possible consequences, but if someone else has that option I fear it could become their go-to punishment (like some schools tend to make it)

I have to agree. I am not very comfortable with anyone but me spanking my children. What happened to you sounds more like abuse than discipline.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It is assault. No way you can trust school employees with this. Teachers have favorites, have those they can't stand, have personal issues, physical issues, sexual predator issues, you just have no way of knowing.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't know, while I'm all for discipline and respect in school, I can't approve of corporal punishment.

I came from a culture where spanking children in school or "paddling" them with the ruler was the norm. I was spanked and beaten at home as a child, not very frequently, but enough to remember and behave. When the time came to have my own children I felt like is really wrong. And it was one thing that I read at the time that made me give up spanking my kids for ever: " no one can feel good about himself if it was beaten as a child".

How can you teach non-violence to kids that you are hitting them?
Punishment can be done in so many other ways. How they manage to discipline all those young, unruly boys in the army without paddling? How can mature people be manipulated so easily by the society, and we can't manage to deal with our kids?
Definitely something must be done for more discipline in schools, but I don't know if this is the answer.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteHat

How can you teach non-violence to kids that you are hitting them?

Indeed. In fact what you're teaching them is fascism and bullying with a big stick.

And its assault.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

And OP, I am disgusted that you would allow a stranger to physically punish your child, you need some serious help. If anyone paddled my child I would take a baseball bat to them in response, maybe worse.

Thank you for all of the opinions and views first and foremost. Let's keep in mind, as far as Marion Co. goes, parents have to opt in for this punishment to be a consideration, so there is a choice at least in this case.

I would like to clarify a few things. First, my kids are too old to be affected by paddling at this stage whether at school or home. At this stage there would never be a reason to. So when speaking, I am only speaking for how I was raised and how I in turn raised my children. It's safe to say that my methods will not appease everyone and there are plenty of things that are in clear vision in hindsight of course in regards to parenting.

Although paddling was used throughout my elementary school years, I personally was never paddled and only witnessed it once as I mentioned earlier. My parents were great parents and taught me well and although I am sure they may have a few instances where they may disagree, I was a pretty good kid that was respectful and well behaved. Though, there were a few times where I was spanked, and looking back...was likely rather deserving of a "good ole' whoopin".

Therein, I tried to instill the same in my kids. All 3 of which are/were well behaved and very respectful (yes Sir, no Sir, yes Ma'am, no Ma'am, please and thank you, typical of many facets of what one would correlate to being raised in the South) and are on their way to becoming well nurtured productive members of society.

Now, were there times they received a wallop across the behind for misbehaving, absolutely, as was I as a child. Generally though and what I feel is due to the way I was raised, I tend to never make the same mistake twice to this day for something I did that gave cause to receive a spanking (nor did/do my children).

IF, paddling was allowed in school at the time my kids were old enough then I would indeed make my kids aware that I had given the school administration (who I might add were never strangers per se as I was/still am quite frequently involved with all of their teachers and the administration in general, I frequently correspond by email with my youngest's teachers usually on a weekly basis at least) permission to paddle them if they stepped out of line. With that however, and knowing my kids, that would have been all it would have taken is merely knowing that this is a possible out come should they misbehave in school.

I know this because by the time they were all able to read they had a good understanding of what was and was not good behavior and what was and was not to be expected of them. That said, I would have to agree with those that have pressed the "it all falls back to the parents", because it truly does regardless of the punishment(s) that were/are/will be in the future, allowed in schools.

At this point I feel like I am all but defending myself for my views on discipline, be that as it may it doesn't change my feelings regarding the matter. Even knowing what I know now and starting over although there would be many things I would indeed do different. I would still spank my kids when/if their behavior called for it, which was based on and encompassed by my own upbringing.
edit on 4/25/2013 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You paddle my kid and I'm punching you square in the face. There is no negotiation or discussion about it. That's a line schools don't cross in my family. Don't know any parents that would be ok with this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join