It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus: Should he have experienced guilt?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Falenor

"The dogmatized and the scriptured scholar ever and incessantly debate in their hallowed halls, whilst in the fields and the streams beyond their thought and the leaves of their tomes, unbeknownst to and far removed from them, there dwells the heron, there dwells the eel, there dwells the sparrow, there dwells the hawk and there in his beauty, and might, dwells God."

G.B.S

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Wait, that is a good question. Look at Jesus' message compared to God's message from the Old Testament.

The guilt and hatred that comes from following the Old Testament is what results in things like sexism, racism, xenophobia, wars, domestic violence, judgement, etc.

It is highly possible that Jesus felt less guilt than other people because he was bringing a different message, one of the Golden Rule, he spent time with those that others would deem unworthy because of their social status, etc.

Guilt as an emotion is tied into hatred - if you hate someone because they are black, and you were taught this by your father, yet you find out that you are a quarter black or you fall in love with a black woman, you feel guilty.

Guilt doesn't always have anything to do with doing something literally wrong. Although it can.

I feel guilty about decisions I made in the past, but the honest truth is that I did the best I could, so... The only way I think I would feel "guilty" as you put it would be if I lived in a society where something like drinking was arbitrarily considered "bad" without any thought to cause and effect, but I enjoyed drinking, in a healthy manner.

I mean... there are still things I feel guilty about... but... in general, I make less bad decisions because I think about things in a more expansive way... but then, of course, there are some situations I am simply not prepared for... and I make mistakes and feel guilty about them ...

but there isn't as much of a driving force to rebel if you live in a society with rules that have integrity behind them.

I might feel guilty if I were gay and a Christian. See where I'm going?
edit on 24-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

If you are a compassionate human being, if you mean, nor commit, harm to any other living thing then you are free from guilt.....that is, so long as you don't subscribe to some well established and archaic belief system which has its roots in a form of desert shamanism, and has been dominating and repressing human expression for the last 1200 years.

edit on 24-4-2013 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

It is archaic, I can't believe it's still around. That's probably because people who were exposed don't know what to do without it.
edit on 25-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua
reply to post by Falenor

"The dogmatized and the scriptured scholar ever and incessantly debate in their hallowed halls, whilst in the fields and the streams beyond their thought and the leaves of their tomes, unbeknownst to and far removed from them, there dwells the heron, there dwells the eel, there dwells the sparrow, there dwells the hawk and there in his beauty, and might, dwells God."

G.B.S

Thankyou......I was just atempting to relate to his question on a historical level. However that is a very interesting quote, I like it very much. I've tried looking up G.B.S as well as the quote you have provided but can't find anything.....where is this from ?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
In order for Jesus to feel guilt, He would have had to do something wrong to feel guilty about. Sin is something only Satan, his fellow fallen angels, and human beings, are capable of doing. Guilt is a result of sin. Jesus never committed sin, so He has never felt guilt.

He was tempted in all ways, but without sin, so He understands what humans go through. Temptation is the offensive attack of an outside influence, not a feeling the one being tempted experiences. Succumbing to that temptation is the sin. He understands why people feel guilt, but He has never personally done anything to feel guilty about.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Falenor

It's a quote from Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw, I had it written in one of my old schoolbooks, I don't know when he wrote it, or what play it's from though.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
As the common story presents itself, Jesus came down to earth as a man. He began to see life through our eyes but he never knew what it was like to feel guilt. If he truly was to become like us, I think it would have been more humble to know what its like to be wrong or regret doing something. Guilt/Regret is a huge driving force in our lives.

He never had to feel not good enough or hopeless. Do you think that blinds him from relating to the human condition?

Haha... Interesting prodding question.

I'm sure the Bible or the accounts of Jesus's live can only capture certain parts of his time in the physical. I can not analyse his thought process other than the three years of ministry and quite possible the infantry gospels. That being said, I can not come to conclusive statement that Jesus did or did not feel good enough or hopeless. Did he ever have periods of doubts? I wouldn't doubt it. Emotions are so complex. Anything is possible. So I will come to the conclusion that I do not know.

There's enough information in the Bible, but that does not mean that information is not missing.
edit on 27-4-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join