It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston bomb suspect's name was on classified government watch lists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
edit on 25-4-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Wheres the Media and the scrutiny that is warranted? God only knows if this was George Bush, or a Republican President.

Is Reuters not the media now? Or huffington, CNN, every other well known news source out there?

www.google.com... ame+was+on+classified+government+watch+lists&gs_l=news-cc.12..43j43i53.1380.1380.0.2386.1.1.0.0.0.0.76.76.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.NWvgqXU6Zms

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Ain't that the truth.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ok I don't know whether my reply will make sense or is even on topic but I wanted to say say something ...

So some of you are saying if he was a watch list why wasn't be watched? Because the list probably has thousands of names on it and just man power alone you won't be able to watch someone 24/7. If the government spent thousands of dollars watching one guy for several years all at tax payers expense people will soon be up in arms saying what a waste of money etc etc. but just not having enough man power is probably the lone reason why everyone isn't watched. The watch list is probably more like a suspect list, an incident happens for example a bombing, the suspect list is then looked at to see if anyone in the bombing area is known to do this things.

It's a bit like a murder suspect list, a murder happens and the police have a list of possible suspects to interview or question.

The off topic part of my reply is with all this hype about governments keepin all of our details stored in places and drones being used to spy on us all 24/7. Jus this news article alone proves in a way of how paranoid people can be. So yes the government may keep infomation on us all but it doesn't mean we are being watched all the time

Hope that makes sense .. Anyways I'm open to comments on my reply it was just the way I see things sometimes.
Peace out

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

(Reuters) - The name of one of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was listed on the U.S. government's highly classified central database of people it views as potential terrorists.

So let me get this straight. They had the name on the watch list. Most likely they had his face too and with the today's technology, face recognition software and other stuff they still ask for help from the public to identify the suspects in bombing? Sounds total BS to me.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by sonnny1

It is are our intelligence agencies that inept or is it really something else?

These people have billions of dollars to spend every year, they have thousands of men and women at their disposal and the most up to date electronic gadgetry known (and not known) to man...yet they still fail.

With all their money, human resources and technology....they still fail.

They're failures ALWAYS terminate in loss of life and the further implementation of even more draconians laws, leaving the the USA on the road to being a totalitarian state while preaching democracy to the world.

How many failures more will come to pass before it is understood that so any coincidences cannot be coincidences.

When it waddles like a duck, smells like a duck and quacks like a duck.....why call it a chicken.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
By posting this I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong and I'm not right or wrong. But I'm taking the title of this thread and basing it around my job.

I'm a security guard for a large shopping supermarket and by large it's in the top 5 biggest supermarkets in the UK. My main job is to provent shop lifting (theft) from the store. I have 160 CCTV cameras at my disposal to watch people. Now I could go to my local police and ask for pictures of all know shop lifters in the area of my store. However with all this infomation available it's still very difficult to catch everybody

So now let's look back at the issue we are talking about. So these terrorists (my shop lifters) are going about their daily business, yes they are on a list (like my shop lifters are known for theft in the local area), the terrorists go to their target (theives go to my supermarket), until the terrorists are spotted no one knows where they are (I don't know where my shoplifters are until I spot them either visually or using CCTV) ... Slipping through nets is easily done especially with all sorts of disguises these days from plastic surgery to fake facial hair.

Doing my job for over 10 years I know for a fact not all cameras are actively being watched. Nor are they recording 24/7. Out of my 160 cameras we only can select 32 to permanently record due to the computer power needed to do this. My personal opinion about this matter is that it is impossible to track somebody 24/7 unless you've got someone sniffing around your suspect all the time.

At the end of the day when it comes to it I believe even though the resources at the US governments disposal is huuuuuge, unless you've got somebody following the suspect every day every month at one point or another your suspect is going to slip the net somewhere. Also the Boston bombers may not have been high profile suspects before the bombings therefore surveillance on them might not of been to a high extent.

I hope this makes sense and as I've stated I could be looking at the the wrong way I'm welcome to any comments

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
My personal opinion about this matter is that it is impossible to track somebody 24/7 unless you've got someone sniffing around your suspect all the time.

Er, yes....these goverment agencies spend billions of dollars every year on just that.
Along with monitoring their internet movement, tapping their phones and buggering around in their trashcans..

Surveilance....24/7..sniffing around the suspect all the time....it's what these guy's do..
edit on 25-4-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972

My personal opinion about this matter is that it is impossible to track somebody 24/7 unless you've got someone sniffing around your suspect all the time.

Er, yes....these goverment agencies spend billions of dollars every year on just that.
Along with monitoring their internet movement, tapping their phones and buggering around in their trashcans..

Surveilance....24/7..sniffing around the suspect all the time....it's what these guy's do..
edit on 25-4-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the reply mate I was considering binning my reply after I read it I wasn't trying to imply my thieves are in the same category as terrorists. But after a few years of watching these guys and not a lot happening with them maybe surveillance was slacked a bit. I agree with phones and computers being tapped bit anyone with a bit of brain power will know if your planning a bombing you don't discuss it out in the open

If it was the case where surveillance was slack maybe it was because these guys didn't pose an immediate threat and resources used else where

I don't know I was just sharing my opinion
edit on 25-4-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by neo96

I think Obama wants to be known as the President who stopped the "war on terror". He can try to relabel it, try to down play it but it is what it is. I hate using that phrase but its the truth. Its also Ironic that Gitmo is still open for business.

it's ironic that gitmo is open for business???
www.mcclatchydc.com...
www.washingtontimes.com...

republicans wanted it to stay "open for business", please try and keeps the lies more vague and unverifiable

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

If it was the case where surveillance was slack maybe it was because these guys didn't pose an immediate threat and resources used else where

They wern't meant to be under surveilance. If they'd have been under surveilance 24/7 there's a chance that the attack at Boston, wouldn't have happened. That couldn't have been permitted, so they were judged "not a threat", despite the fact that even Russia had been in contact since 2012 about their activites.

Just as 9/11 was a known fact within security circles months before it happened, nothing was done to prevent it, infact just the oposite, it was as if someone within national security was doing everything possible to make it happen.

One thing that happened ALWAYS stays in my mind. The lead terrorist Mohammed Atta, had been stopped for speeding in a rented car, he had a court date, but didnt show up. Automatically an arrest warrent was put out in his name by the state of Florida. A few days later, he's pulled over AGAIN, for speeding. The cop goes to his car, does the licence check on Atta, and NOTHING SHOWS UP..his arrest warrent had been wiped off the system..they say by accident!!!

If Atta had been arrested then mayvbe 9/11 had'nt have gone down as a key piece of the puzzle would have been lost..so everything was done to make sure nothing happened and 9/11 went on to change the world as we know it.

This videos explains why John O'Neill resigned from the FBI after all attempts to investigate Al Qaeda by him were thwarted from from every direction.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Again thanks for your reply .. Now what you replied with was very interesting and something I was totally unaware of. My point I was trying to express was that no matter how many reasources you have not everybody can be tracked. But hey that was my opinion and I understand what your trying to say which at the same time highlights some good points

So thanks again I'm not here to say who's wrong and who isn't I just like throwing my ideas and thought out there

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

reply to post by andy1972

Again thanks for your reply .. Now what you replied with was very interesting and something I was totally unaware of. My point I was trying to express was that no matter how many reasources you have not everybody can be tracked. But hey that was my opinion and I understand what your trying to say which at the same time highlights some good points

So thanks again I'm not here to say who's wrong and who isn't I just like throwing my ideas and thought out there

All and any points and ideas welcome and accepted, it's always good to have fresh eyes on a subject..but, and there is but, as i said...(it's my personal belief) these people have an agenda and nothing and nobody can be allowed to interfere with that agenda.

They have the power to make an arrest warrent disappear from the computer.
They have the power to give sub director of the FBI the run around and make his investigation of Al Qaeda impossible, so much so he found no other outlet but to resign.
They fixed it with the visa dept of the U.S embassy in Saudi so everyone would have no questions asked student visas.
They act with an impunity because thay are beyond the reach of the law.

So, maybe, it went like this -

The FBI agent watching these kids was called into an office, where his superior sat with a man he'd never seen before, and was never introduced and was told what he was about to hear would never leave the room.
The man he'd never seen before told him that the two subjects he'd been watching 24/7 for the last 3 months were now no longer his concern, they were not considered a national threat even though circumstances were begining to point in the opposite direction, another agency would continue the surveilance from now on.
He was to terminate the surveilance immediately and his report would reflect that he'd seen nothing in the last three months to lead him to believe that the two were candidates to commit an act of terrorism on the U.S. mainland.
His long hours on the case would be well recorded and without a doubt help with a promotion in the very near future, but of course, if he didn't get with the programme he would find himself working out of an embassy in the third world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join