It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When do you think the draft will be reistated?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Based on nothing but logic: This is why I foresee a draft
1. two democrats started the bill for the re-instatement of the draft, so Bush can blame it on the democrats
2. They have already spent 29 million on it
3. less people staying in the military after their terms are up
4. Less recruits signing up
5. backdoor draft already going on which shows they are in dire need of more military
I feel he will re-instate the draft sometime in Jan/2005 due to he wants to get it done early enough so that the sting is over with and forgotten by the time his four years are up so that Jeb Bush who I am sure will run for president in 2008 will not lose the election. Bush is gold as far as his followers are concerned and can do just about anything and be forgiven by them, he has pretty much proven that. So do you foresee a draft in our future if so why and when?

[edit on 4-11-2004 by goose]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I remember reading that Kerry was in favor of national service for all young people in the US. Since he wasn't elected, I'm not sure if we are going to have any required national service or draft now. However, if a major attack occurs on the US, congress may feel the need to reinstate the draft regardless if the president agrees or disagrees. A draft would cost alot of extra money and the US doesn't need to waste any.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Kerry was defeated = NO DRAFT

It was the dems pushing that stupid rumor that Bush
would instate a draft. It was all to scare people.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
In a speech after the last debate Bush said "I will not have an all volunteer army",
Does he lie? No he got re=elected.
So mark HIS words, and wait. Coming soon, here is your draft card, you sheep, BAA.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Kerry was defeated = NO DRAFT

It was the dems pushing that stupid rumor that Bush
would instate a draft. It was all to scare people.

Keep telling yourself that... When your or your sons draft letter comes. Then try and deny ignorance with it staring you straight in the face.

Phae

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Reasons why we might see a draft.

We are losing men-through death and retirement from the army at a scary rate.

We are involved in 2- 3 wars now-Afghanistan, Iraq and the war on terror-we don't have enough troops for these three. Don't think so-remember we are using "National Guards" in Iraq-they are supposed to guard OUR nation, not there's.

It is my sincere belief, with Bush; we will enter at least one more war soon. Where-take your choice-Syria, Iran, N Korea, Taiwan-my personal bet is Iran with the reactor.

On that issue, If Israel does bomb that nuclear plant-a very good possibility, we may be fighting multiple countries in defending Israel.

This all leads to a major need for men and women to fight in wars.

[edit on 11/4/2004 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
if it happens I think the most likely time frame will be mid to late 2006 or early 2007

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I think that if there were a need for the draft in the near future, it will pass congress much easier now. I don't think it would be re-instated unless we knew there was a need.

All that would constitute need would be one more major conflict to deal with, which could happen at any time.

And would everyone please put the back door draft notion away? This is an anti-Republican misnomer propogated by the left in the Senate. There is no back door draft.

[edit on 4-11-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
I think that if there were a need for the draft in the near future, it will pass congress much easier now. I don't think it would be re-instated unless we knew there was a need.

All that would constitute need would be one more major conflict to deal with, which could happen at any time.

And would everyone please put the back door draft notion away? This is an anti-Republican misnomer propogated by the left in the Senate. There is no back door draft.

Do You even understand the concept of the term "Back-door Draft"?

He is referring to the Stop-Loss and National Guard Usage in Foreign countries. Now these are perfectly within thier discretion to do.

However, the Stop-Loss prevents people in the military from retiring at their scheduled retirement dates or transfer out even if they meet the requirements that they signed on to.

The Use of National Guard outside of the US Border is in most peoples eyes Beyond the scope of this branch. National Guard. This Nations Guarding force.

So this is in Fact a 'Back-door Draft' There would be lots less US husbands, wives, sons and daughters dieing in Iraq and Afganistan today if these were not implemented.

Current US Casualties for War on Terror as of this posting:
Soldiers - 1122
Civilians - 175
My Friends or Family - 2
Relatives of Bush or Cheney - 0

Phae

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
As soon as we are invaded...

It would be a colossal waste of time and money to have a draft when it's not needed (i.e., now)

I think that if there were a need for the draft in the near future, it will pass congress much easier now.

Republicans who voted for draft bill - 0
Democrats who voted for draft bill - 2

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
In the UK most ex millitary are still called upon to fight in time of war (dependant on age etc) as are most ex millitary in the US.

They are , like myself are allways on call so to speak.

Having a draft board means that civillians will be called upon to do military service of some nature. In this day and age the training will be a about 12 months from initial siging to completion of millitary training. Therefor the draft could begin anytime now so the new recruits are ready at the end of 2005.

Will this so called war on terrorism be still going then? I sincerely hope not.

To be honest, i cant see drafting happening for a while yet, if at all.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phaethor
Do You even understand the concept of the term "Back-door Draft"?

No, I don't understand the concept of the term "back door draft". I do, however understand the concept of the term "contractual obligation", having signed three military contracts personally.

I don't understand back door draft because as yet, I have not seen one. The stop-loss clause contained within every military contract is clearly outlined and explained, and once signed by the service member is legally binding. Also, it is a little known (obviously) fact that every military contract that is signed by a member is actually an eight year contract, whether the active component obligation is 3, 4, or 6 years. Every soldier signs on for eight years of obligatory service.

There is no back door draft since all of the stop-loss actions and inactive ready reserve callups are clearly outlined in every military contract, and every soldier is legally obligated to fulfill said contract.

When you say that a stop-loss prevents people from ETS or transfer even if they meet the requirements they've signed to, you are inventing a paradox, in that until they fulfill the requirements of the stop-loss, they have not yet fulfilled the requirements they've signed to.

Again, there is no back door draft.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This is just my personal opinion but I do not see the draft happening. It costs too much to train a soldier to have them leave after a few years of service. The military is not like it was during vietnam, you need more training to perform your job.

Plus i do not see an immediate conflict other than the 2 that are currently underway. The saber rattling in north Korea is just the way nations negotiate. South Korea could take North Korea by itself and does not need major US forces if hostilities break out. Iran is another negotiation for power in Iraq. When we want leverage with Iran we talk about their nuclear program like we are going to do something but we have actually let the Europeans take the lead on that and we all know that they will not do anything about it. China is too busy making money to ruin it by attacking Taiwan and risking being crushed militarily. China has a small navy and a small air force compared to the US.

The only potential conflict that i see is the Afghan war spreading into part of Pakistan as part of the final push for the remnants of Al Qaida.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
(I'm starting)

Bush will avoid the draft by opening the southern border to fastrack immigration via filling the military ranks with "illegal" volunteers.

Eh? Eh? Good no?

Tell your friends.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
That will depend on whether the sheriff (Bush) wants to make a real name for himself as a gunslinger and shoot it out with Iran and Syria. I just hope he doesn't need help from his "deputy sheriff" (the name he gave our prime minister *cringes*).

[edit on 4-11-2004 by Sabre262]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I really think a draft is going to happen. We're probably gonna get into a conflict with yet another country, and we just won't have enough troops. I also think there is going to be a lot of rioting when that draft comes--there's your "civil war" scenario.

Time frame? By late 2005.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
How can we avoid being drafted if conscription occurs? Well here's a short list of people who are exempt from the draft.

Women

Men who are actively serving in the military

Men who are attending a military service academy or select university
military officer procurement program

Foreign citizens in the United States on valid student, visitor or diplomatic visas

Certain foreign agricultural workers

Men who are confined to a hospital or psychiatric institution

Handicapped men who cannot function in public

Inmates

Practicing Ministers*

Minisry students*

So if you are a young American male between the ages pf 18-25 there is a way to avoid getting drafted. You can go crazy, severly injur yourself or commit a serious felony. You can always just run away, but if prosecuted you could face 5 years in prison and a $250k fine. Very important!!! do not claim to be a concientious objecter ie: claim that your beliefs prohibit you from combat, you will be reasigned to a non-combatant regimen. I believe the best solution to avoid the draft is to start a church that employs all of it's members as ministers or ministry students. These people are exempt from being called up for active duty. I can see it now " The Above Top Secret Assmbley for not getting our asses shot off."

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I believe the best solution to avoid the draft is to start a church that employs all of it's members as ministers or ministry students. These people are exempt from being called up for active duty. I can see it now " The Above Top Secret Assmbley for not getting our asses shot off."

Good idea

That way god can be my savior in a tangible way that i can experience here on earth. That's actually the best reason to be religious i have heard of and I had religious parents and went to a religious private school so i have heard a lot of reasons.

top topics

join