It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the FBI knew of Tsarnaev Brothers, why did they need the public to help identify them?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
I guess they would have had intelligence on the family, but I believe it was only Tamerlan they actually engaged.

It is strange and with all the facial recognition software the F.B.I have, it is a bit unbelievable really isn't it? Maybe it was the fact he was wearing shades?

This was their retort on the matter: www.salon.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
I guess they would have had intelligence on the family, but I believe it was only Tamerlan they actually engaged.

It is strange and with all the facial recognition software the F.B.I have, it is a bit unbelievable really isn't it? Maybe it was the fact he was wearing shades?

This was their retort on the matter: www.salon.com...

Thanks for that. Sounds very much like the ICT systems the U.K Government invest in. Expensive and outdated by the time it is rolled out nationally. Convenient? No, I'm not having that.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Mhmmm...apparently, Facebook has a better facial recognition program. Maybe the FBI should've consulted them...Not really buying it though...surely there has to be a function in such a program to include a second image as an associate/relation to narrow things down. If not, there should be.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
How else do you appeal to the masses to have cameras mounted at every location possible and to get to try out the Martial Law/ City Lockdown? I grew up in Boston and I never saw the streets as barren as I did on the news a few days ago. That was surreal to me watching the city, like an opening shot for the movie 12 Monkeys or something.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

If I was a U.S Tax payer, I would be lobbying my local politician and questioning why my taxes were spent on such a useless resource.

No, I'm not buying their excuses for a second, but maybe Congress will ask the pertinent questions?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop
How else do you appeal to the masses to have cameras mounted at every location possible and to get to try out the Martial Law/ City Lockdown? I grew up in Boston and I never saw the streets as barren as I did on the news a few days ago. That was surreal to me watching the city, like an opening shot for the movie 12 Monkeys or something.

28 Days later sprung to mind.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I hadn't thought of that one but now that you mention it....
L2

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

They didn't name him though did they? And that is standard practice surely? Also, they would have had an address for him, even if it was a previous address. Again standard practice to follow these things up, it's not like they went on the run is it? Embarrassing failure on the F.B.I's part I would suggest.

With more information coming out, it seems the FBI did drop the ball in this matter. While I don't share the enthusiasm as the OP saying they'd 'shut down the whole bureau' for the embarrassment... Heads should certainly roll for the mistakes made.

The FBI has not explained why it did not immediately retrieve the Tsarnaev file after the Boston bombs went off — an event that should have triggered routine checks on those suspected of involvement with Islamist militant groups.

Even when three days later, the FBI identified the bombers, it failed to cross-reference photographs with the man whose picture was on file.

When asked by The Daily Telegraph why the file had been overlooked, the FBI said it would not comment on “operational matters.”

news.nationalpost.com...

One positive aspect of this, and albeit nothing much positive comes out of this. Is that because the FBI determined the brothers as no risk (Clearly an error) they were removed from some databases and their files were closed in certain investigations.

As I said before, this is them dropping the ball. However, the positive that can be taken from this is if someone is entered into the .gov databases as a mistake, they have the ability to be removed from it.

There have been a number of stories where young people sharing the same name as wanted jihadis, and they have trouble getting on flights, securing credit and land purchasing, etc.

It is good to know this can be remedied.

What has to be done now, is efforts to make sure the right people are staying on the lists, and the right people are being removed.

I will not defend the FBI in this matter. As more facts are coming to light it shows egregious errors made by them.

PS:

Google "FBI dropped the ball" if you wish to check sources I wrote this post with.
edit on 25-4-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Apparently they were added to TIDE (Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment).
With over 745,000 individual entries one can easily imagine a typical Government run project where many millions are sunk into something that never quite works as it should/

Conspiracy theories are seemingly becoming the modern day covers for gross incompetence in Government departments.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 25-4-2013 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
You serious?

I mean are you really missing it?

Sheeeesh

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I think they just wanted to include and train the public in man-hunting.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Here is the truth:

"Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism" - Howard Zinn

"Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state. All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.

Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it. You never need an argument against the use of violence, you need an argument for it.

States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions. The sign of a truly totalitarian culture is that important truths simply lack cognitive meaning and are interpretable only at the level of "%^%% You", so they can then elicit a perfectly predictable torrent of abuse in response. We've long ago reached that level.

If you quietly accept and go along no matter what your feelings are, ultimately you internalize what you're saying, because it's too hard to believe one thing and say another. I can see it very strikingly in my own background. Go to any elite university and you are usually speaking to very disciplined people, people who have been selected for obedience. And that makes sense. If you've resisted the temptation to tell the teacher, "You're an asshole," which maybe he or she is, and if you don't say, "That's idiotic," when you get a stupid assignment, you will gradually pass through the required filters. You will end up at a good college and eventually with a good job.

One might ask why tobacco is legal and marijuana not. A possible answer is suggested by the nature of the crop. Marijuana can be grown almost anywhere, with little difficulty. It might not be easily marketable by major corporations. Tobacco is quite another story. " - Noam Chomsky

now please can someone bump my intro so i can get the 20 posts needed? its in recent posts right now. I am trying to bring some other things to light and make threads... anyone ever heard of ARGUS surveilance? How bout the x-wing fighters and tractor beams we have now? People need to wake up.....

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by IamMe14

Yea sure how do u explain they were running a drill then? The obvious knew beforehand.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Maybe the reason they asked for the public's help was that the FBI did not want the public to know that they already knew who it was, had known them for years. By playing the hand of "Please help us find these terrorists", the media also had time to put forth their own theories of who did it, such as homegrown groups, etc. And get that out there. Then at just the right moment, Bang! We know who they are. As soon as I get to 20 posts I have a theory I would like to discuss about the whole thing. Don't want to discuss here because I don't want to de-rail your thread.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join