It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Civilizations Quiz for ATSers

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

There used to be American 'camels' back then, or camelops. They became extinct together with the American horses. Or crossed the Bering Land Bridge together, direction Asia.
edit on 1/5/13 by Movhisattva because: from 'street' to 'Land Bridge'

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Movhisattva

I'm aware of that but I assumed modern day camel because the post said "camel" not "camelid" :/ Simple miscommunication...

Who's up with the next one!?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

More on the

The Tequixquiac carving (also known as the Barzena carving after its finder) is a carving representing the face of a dog, wolf or coyote. It was carved from the sacrum of a leistocene and now long extinct camelid species.

The carving was found in 1870 by Mariano Barcena and published in 1882. The discovery was made at a depth of 12 m below surface in pleistocene deposits dasted to around 40,000 years in the valley of Mexico, 67.5 km (42 miles) north of Mexico City. The artefact was subsequently "lost" in the 1890s but re-discovered in 1956. Studies done on the carving have largely confirmed its authenticity although the age of the artefact remains unclear because we donot know whether the carving had been done soon after the animal's death or long after.

The carving is the earliest example of true art found in the Americas so far. The true purpose and meaning of the carving, as well as the culture that produced it, remain unknown.

The site also has produced stone tools (flakes, scrapers) and splinters of mammoth bones worked into awls.

There is another site in the area that is extremely controversial because of its age

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

The nearby site is controversial, but the bone is also controversial because its 40000 years old.
If one holds to a traditional view of human dispersal it should not be there.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Finds like that may debunk the out of Africa theory once and for all. Very interesting indeed.

Would that also be the time before Amerindians settled the western Hemisphere? I've always said that perhaps the "Indians" weren't the first ones to settle N. and S. Americas
edit on 1-5-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Finds like that may debunk the out of Africa theory once and for all. Very interesting indeed.

Would that also be the time before Amerindians settled the western Hemisphere? I've always said that perhaps the "Indians" weren't the first ones to settle N. and S. Americas
edit on 1-5-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

I hold some very controversial views on the subject of the populating of the new world, and one of those views is that the first humans into the new world weren't modern humans but a precursor, such as a cousin of the Neanderthals and denisovans, or even homo erectus.
There is also the view that at least one of the native American founding lineages, was just that native. They sepciated into developmentally modern humans in the new world the migrated back into eurasia before the lgm.

For very concise discussions on the subject of out of America theory can be found here
anthropogenesis.kinshipstudies.org...

And these discussions are very interesting in there implications.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Where are these ruins located?

Hint: The style of the construction resembles many other ruins in that part of the world.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
Where are these ruins located?

Hint: The style of the construction resembles many other ruins in that part of the world.

Good one
Hope fully some one doesn't get it before I can look into it.

I have a guess but ill wait.

Ok people let's see who can figure this one out.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I'd say Chachapoyas Peru, cloudforest ruins in the neighbourhood of the Kuelap fortress?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Movhisattva

No...think a little bit more tropical...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Is it maybe from the Olmec peoples?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It's Micronesian
Yes?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

You are correct.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Wow! Micronesian! I'd assumed it would be Central American.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

It's the enigmatic Nan madol on the island of pohnpei.

Nan Madol is a ruined city that lies off the eastern shore of the island of Pohnpei that was the capital of the Saudeleur dynasty until about 1628. [3][note 1] It is in the present day Madolenihmw district of Pohnpei state, in the Federated States of Micronesia in the western Pacific Ocean. The city consists of a series of small artificial islands linked by a network of canals. [3] The site core with its stone walls encloses an area approximately 1.5 km long by 0.5 km wide and it contains nearly 100 artificial islets—stone and coral fill platforms—bordered by tidal canals.

The name Nan Madol means "spaces between" and is a reference to the canals that crisscross the ruins. The original name was Soun Nan-leng (Reef of Heaven), according to Gene Ashby in his book Pohnpei, An Island Argosy. [9] It is often called the "Venice of the Pacific [10]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

What gave it away was the stacked basalt in the tropical rainforest,

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Almost got it...It's not Nan Madol, but a site very close by on the island of Kosrae...The Lelu Ruins.

kosraenautilus.com...

Once again, you're close enough.

Your turn again.

edit on 1-5-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Well then that was an interesting read,
I wasn't totally correct, that is very generous of you Isyeye.

I can't help but notice just how closely their social structure resembles that of a certain andean society that has been the subject of possible contact with the polynesians.
Am working on next question.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Ok here we go
This is Big Horn Medicine wheel.

And this is

Aztec ruins great kiva

And this
Grand chaco's
pueblo bonito

All of these structures have a spatial relationship.

This is tenochtitlan

Thus is Chichen Itza's Castillo pyramid

Both of these last two places have chaac mools

They share a spatial relationship with the first three locations, and with these seemingly unrelated places.

Whoa, how did Newgrange make its way back in?

And the Avesbury henge

All of these seemingly unrelated places share an unshared knowledge.

This wonderous creation of Ptolymaic world has stirred up quite the controversial conversation of how advanced classical culture was.

This man was one of the most influential mindsvof the Ptloymaic world and was quite the mathematician.

And h ow does that all relate to this ancient Egyptian ship.

So my question is how are all of these seemingly unrelated places and times connected .

edit on 1-5-2013 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
One of those references has nothing to do with the question at hand.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

And the answer is most certainly mathematical in nature.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join