It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Obama succeed in gun control challenge?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

President Barack Obama went from hoping to pass a bill calling for serious gun law reforms to eventually asking for the bare minimum: background checks and he didn't even get that. 4 months into his second term is the President's influence starting to wane?

The recent push for gun law reform was born out of last year's massacre at a Connecticut elementary school Newtown, CT stirring raw emotions across the country. The President had the support of the people, even gun owners. %80 of all Americans supported background checks. But he couldn't get the votes in Washington, not even from the Democrat-Controlled Senate.

Unlike in Washington, where gun control supporters didn't have the muscle to pass legislation on background checks, a state Senate committee in Sacramento has just approved eight bills to strengthen California's already tight firearms regulations. However, without universal background checks nationwide, California and any state with tight gun laws is vulnerable to dealings and wheelings.
And then there is the issue of the relentless influence of the National Rifle Association. The group is credited with successfully lobbying for, and in some cases helping to draft, Stand Your Ground laws and legislation. The NRA funneled over half a million dollars' worth of contributions to hundreds of congressmen in 2012.

With midterm elections coming up in 2014, Democrats are concerned about losing their ground, after all who can forget Al Gore's defeat to George W. Bush in the 2000 presidential race many are convinced it was due to his support for stronger Gun laws. The democrats have never seem to gotten passed that issue.

The President had the support of the overwhelming majority of the American public but didn't have the votes, will this be Barak Obama's biggest defeat and how it will affect his next four years as President is yet to be seen

www.presstv.ir...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I personally think people are tired of being told what they can and cannot do. Its showing. So NO he wont be able to pass a full out control on semi-autos nor the control on ammo clips. It hasnt passed yet, and they had there chance at that crap. thank god we put our foot down.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by grimghost

Sorry it is a short answer....No. It won't happen.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I want facts about the 80 percents of Americans that wanted it.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The fact that background checks have 90%
approval from US citizens and still can't pass,
says more about the tea party nuts, AM Radio shock jocks
and their NRA handlers.

Certainly not a political defeat for Obama.
More a "look at these aholes, can you believe it?"

I guarantee the Dems aren't losing seats to wingnuts in midterms.
People fell for that bs before and are figuring out the scare tactics to
what the actual agenda is.

Which is simply selling more guns..in case you didn't know.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I don't personally believe he has 4 more years in office. I'll be surprised if he manages to finish out this year. I think some form of impeachment, legal action will be taken before then but who knows, I may very well be wrong.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The President had the support of the overwhelming majority of the American public but didn't have the votes, will this be Barak Obama's biggest defeat and how it will affect his next four years as President is yet to be seen

Media excrement... not unlike a cow pie in the middle of a grassy field.

You don't have to step in it but... many people do.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
I don't personally believe he has 4 more years in office. I'll be surprised if he manages to finish out this year. I think some form of impeachment, legal action will be taken before then but who knows, I may very well be wrong.
For What???

The Previous Pres, Wilfully lied to the Populace to attack a Innocent Country, while 2/3 of the People were against it.

A lot of Afro-Americans get hassled for being BIP. (black in public)

But you cant Impeach a Pres , for being BIO.(black in office)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
No he didn't JUST go after background checks, like always thats the part they pushed, but it included Magazine restrictions as well, and Assault weapon restrictions.

Remember they Loudly push one thing, while sneaking in others, and than when this bill was struck down we are the unreasonable ones for rejecting what they Loudly pushed.

Each bill is like a shark with a ton of little pilot fish that attach on to it.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by skorpius
I want facts about the 80 percents of Americans that wanted it.

I don't buy that percentage for a minute. Those PTB that want to control the way you think put that kind of figure out there because they KNOW people tend to follow the herd mentality and if they think everybody else wants it, well they're supposed to want it to.

It's not going to work this time.

But, Obama and/or his bunch (whoever they might be) aren't through yet. They are still nudging.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
its a soft issue if yo ask 80% of people they will say "sure yeah we need gun control" but its not a big enough issue for them to go vote on so the 80% is sort of miss-leading its really 80% of people that don't care either way that's a little more accurate

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Isn't he just trying to push through the U.N arms treaty that he signed up to in 2011?

Why does the U.N want governments to control their populations guns? What is behind this agenda?

I have attached a link to an article published in Forbes in 2011.

www.forbes.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Isn't he just trying to push through the U.N arms treaty that he signed up to in 2011?

Why does the U.N want governments to control their populations guns? What is behind this agenda?

www.forbes.com...

Good article. I soooo smell the UN goons in all this.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Actually that 80% is now under 50% and dropping and that is why even the back ground check didn't gain any popularity, even with the Democrats. Another reason is that the bill was stupid and loaded with much more than just an increase in background checks AND was brought forth in a way that all would need to vote on it without reading it...lol

One also needs to ask why is the public support dropping like crazy. It is because the public is now aware of a few things that were wrong.

1. ARs have not been the problem
2. Magazine size doesn't matter
3. Back ground checks, or lack of, didn't play at all into any of the mass killings.
4. As someone already stated, honest people are tired of being told what or what not to do by our Government.
5. We see California and other states/cities with the toughest gun laws, but also have the highest gun crimes, and people DO understand the correlation is that honest people are the only ones affected by gun laws.
6. People know that you can't stop crazy, stupid, extremist type people with ANY type of law or Legislative measures.
7. People are now more than ever aware of what the 2nd amendment is all about.

You are right... pro gun control is political suicide with either party.

edit on 24-4-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Will Obama succeed in gun control challenge ?
Well that depends if the 'challenge' is to bring in new gun control laws, then yes he will succeed because they are meant to happen unless we all stand up to stop it. This won't happen, so the new laws will come in, either sooner or later !

Will Obama succeed in gun control ?
Ask John Howard [former Australian Prime Minister that introduced gun control] if gun control succeeded despite all the shootings since. The criminals that were always going to use a stolen gun are still going to get and use a stolen gun regardless of any new gun control laws. Does the terrorist Act stop a terrorist ? So how does a gun control stop someone from getting a stolen gun and using it ?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

www.forbes.com...

What is behind this agenda? Absolute power that is what. Slaves do not own guns. Americans have lived FAR above the average human being on the planet in terms of lifestyle, freedom, and affluence. That costs a lot of money that could otherwise feed the rich and greedy leaders of the world. Faced with the choice of bringing the rest of the world up to the American standard or dragging Americans into the gutter of poverty with the rest of the planet, to feed their machine, which do you think they would really choose? And so it shall be...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

We already have comprehensive background checks.

Know the facts.

The Feds won't even enforce the multitude of laws already on the books. More laws are not what is needed. Criminals do not follow laws.

Our Government perpetrated Fast and Furious to take away our gun rights...

How can you trust they will do the right thing this time?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by sealing

We already have comprehensive background checks.

Know the facts.

The Feds won't even enforce the multitude of laws already on the books. More laws are not what is needed. Criminals do not follow laws.

Our Government perpetrated Fast and Furious to take away our gun rights...

How can you trust they will do the right thing this time?

Oh you can trust them alright. Trust them to line their own pockets at our expense and screw us all until there is nothing more to screw us out of. How many lies to these sellouts have to perpetrate until everyone KNOWS that they are lying sellouts? If we keep on believing them then we DESERVE to be slaves.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

I was thinking the same exact thing. They never asked me or anybody I know about our opinion on the matter. Eighty percent is greater than 240,000,000 citizens. We must've slept in that day

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Who said anything about being black!?! Only a racist would even bring that up. You think a black man can't be guilty of treason? He should be impeached for betraying the southern coast for BRITISH petroleum. He should be impeached for fast and furious. He should be impeached for betraying us citizens for illegals. He should be impeached for nullifying the fourth Ammendment with the ndaa. I could go on and on but why? All you see is a white man angry about a black potus. Well guess what, racist: he's 50percent WHITE! That's half, as in just as white as black. Now grow up, open your eyes, free your mind and your azz will follow. Because until you can see in other terms as black and white you will always be a slave, no matter what color your skin is

Ps. Are you familiar with DaTroll, I mean, DaTroof? I have a feeling you two would hit it off
edit on 25-4-2013 by riffraff because: Added ps

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join