It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The back pocket/bottom line

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is something i've wanted to talk about for a very, very long time. This -may- be in the wrong place, and if it is please move it.

First, a little bit about myself: I've been homeless off, and on since I was about 17, and i'm almost 29 now. I've been through every state except Alaska, and Hawaii. Most of my journey's were made on foot, and i've walked all the way across this beautifull continent.

Now, what I want to talk about is this:
99.9% of people are only concerned with what's in thier back pocket, and that's not right. I hear people every day trashing the homeless. They're bums, they -choose- to be homeless, they're disreputable/despicable people, alchoholics and druggies. Sure, some of us choose to be homeless for various reasons, and some of us are homeless due to drugs or alcohol. Not all of us though.

Why is it that people only worry about themselves, and what they do/don't have? What happened to the days when we worried about others, instead of ourselves? (or were there ever days like that?)

I've heard people curse at a guy just askin for some spare change. Really? Is it THAT serious? You're THAT worried about a couple quarters, and a nickle?

Ok, so i'd love to hear people's thoughts on this, but before you post, read this:
I challenge EVERYONE who reads this post. Go out, find a homeless person, and DO SOMETHING for them; even if it's just listening to thier story, and offering advice. I'm not saying give them money (cause I know you're worried about your back pocket/bank account) but take some time and actually try CARING for another individual that you know NOTHING about.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Question.

What are YOU concerned about? Because it sounds like YOU are concerned about how I choose to use MY money...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Seems like we have lost touch with our purpose and the reason we are here.

"What is the ultimate purpose of life, to GIVE!" - Narayanan Krishnan

The question really becomes, what is the ultimate purpose of your life? Is it to work and grasp and gain all you can and hoard it all for some unknown future? Or is it to take what you have received and pass it on, to give to improve the life of someone else? What is the ultimate purpose of life? To give. Start giving. See the joy of giving.” Source

"But what you do in this age with your heart response in love is the only thing, the only thing, the only thing that matters. In the truest sense of the word. Why are you here? To choose love.
Set your heart on a pilgrimage to be great in eternity. You are going to be there in just a moment, you are going to be there in just a moment. And what you have done in love and service is what is going to stand in that day."

Eternity Speaking /////// Eternity - YouTube ////// MP3

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

I really appreciate your post. I live in a college town that has a significant homeless problem. We are the destination of choice for several surrounding communities who bus their homeless out of town for whatever reason. I have witnessed the exact scenario you have described and I have also seen acts of sheer generosity.
To your query....
I think the reaction of some is because..well..life is hard and getting harder and people are simply self centered. It is inconceivable to some to give help or charity when their life seems so hard for them. The ability to "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" is rare anymore. I am particularly appalled at how the younger crowd treat our less fortunate members of society here.
Here is a start. Let's stop calling them Homeless. Even though accurate it removes the humanity.

I choose to call them people without a home and that makes it impossible to ignore our connection to and compassion for each other.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Funny I read this thread just as I got back from the shops and on the way I gave a homeless dude some cash.

OP I get what you’re saying about people’s attitudes to homeless people and while it’s not very nice I do think at times it can be understandable. In the UK we have the “big issue”, you buy a magazine of a homeless person for a pound its really quite a good idea. I used to give all the time I would give them a pound and let them keep the magazine now however I don’t do that.

Why

Because I would be out a fiver every time I went down to the shops

I get what you’re saying that people would be more charitable but I really don’t think you should be saying “so what it’s only some change”. Some asks me for change on the street, I say no, it’s a matter of personal safety as well how do I know that when I take out my wallet am not going to be mugged by this person.

There are two sides to this OP and yes I do sympathise with what you are saying but like I say I do think at times there are valid reasons not to give.

I don’t think there is any excuse however to curse at someone for asking for some change, that’s just wrong.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chemley
What are YOU concerned about? Because it sounds like YOU are concerned about how I choose to use MY money...

Perhaps you ought to direct that question towards a mirror.

Because it sounds like you are only concerned about your SELF...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
To be fair, it's a generalization to say that no one cares about others - there are lots of selfless people out there that devote much of their time to just that. But, yes, a good majority of America is self-indulged and, imho, it's capitalism at it's finest (ie worst) - almost everything is about competition, being the best, beating the other guy, having more. I think that explains, or contributes to, a lot of the problems in our society - from the economic problems and the wealth gap, to bullying and suicides. Don't get me wrong - I think controlled capitalism has its good tenets, but unrestrained capitalism has many ill side effects - imho, of course.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Glad to see someone thinking about the same thing thats been on my mind this past week. When I was homeless/backpacking I had nothing to do, but think. A lot of homeless people know more about life and philosophy WAY more than most people. When you're sitting on the side of the road you only have one option really. Think about why people are the way they are. Well the answer came to me when I was on the road. The majority of people on this planet aren't just worried about money, but every thing materialistic. The American dream went from freedom to buy as much as you can. When I only had a bag to my name I was more free and happier than a lot of other people. Most homeless people I've met felt the same way. They were happy. Everyday was a gift. Everytime we'd eat it was a gift. It made you 100000x more grateful for everything. People have lost their ability to be grateful for the littlest thing. Man how I love the days when the world was simpler, but we are where we are

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

My friend. As you stated there is a flip side and those of us that do care. That do help. I for one, on several occasions have done so.

I was only 20 yrs old. I work hard and grind daily for what little I have. Though my change jar in my car has a lot of silver in it. I was filling up my gas tank when a man, maybe a little bit older but not by much pulled up on a dirt bike and asked for some spare change. At first I was hesitant, then I saw the look in his eyes. I saw my life flash and realized that I needed to help him, whatever way I could. So I took an empty cup. And pulled every last piece of coin I had out of my center council and gladly, with a smile on my face gave that man the cup. His eyes widened and I felt happy and glad I could assist, even if it was just nickles, quarters and dimes.

The funny part is, 10 years later I saw the same man hustling a different corner. Now I am 30, I have a Fiance' and Infant. I barely have enough to take care of mine let alone another. But when I saw him, again I felt prompted this time to give him whatever dollars I have in my pocket. So as I approched the light I "Hey'd!" him down and gave him the only money I had on hand a $20 dollar bill. After that I could no longer keep helping because now I am in need of a better paying job and the daily grind is beyond ridiculous. But I do it for my little girl.

Sad part is I miss seeing him. I don't know where he is. How he's doing. But when that flash of my life went, I felt that if I didn't help I was no better than any richie rich who snubs even the middle to lower class.

I don't know if this helps. But there are people out there that care. This is not the only homeless person I've done this for either. Just one story.

God bless and we are not all like those stated in the OP.

Take care my friend,

sulaw

Sorry if there are any grammatical error's, I'm currently at work and wanted to get this to you asap.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ok, sorry, I had to go for a while, but i'm back for about an hour or so. I'll start with the first reply:

Originally posted by Chemley
Question.

The best response has already been posted:

Originally posted by Murgatroid
Perhaps you ought to direct that question towards a mirror.

Because it sounds like you are only concerned about your SELF...

That is the best response that can be given.

Now, on the the others.
OtherSideoftheCoin, your concerns are well stated, but what are the real chances that, when you decide to give, someone will rob you? That's very unlikely. Infact, it's more likely you'll be robbed by people who make thier living robbing people than a homeless person asking for change.

And very few of you are getting the point i'm trying to make. I'm not saying give them money, i'm saying DO SOMETHING TO HELP. If ya see a homeless person cold, get them a jacket. If you see someone hungry, get them some food. Are we such a self-centered society that we can't do such simple things for those not nearly as fortunate as ourselves? Quit worrying about your back-pocket. Quit worshipping money. Quit being so selfish.

Now, for those who have posted storied about helping those less fortunate: Awesome job, keep it up. You may not realize it, but even tiny geastures such as those which were posted can truely make someone's day. Little things matter.
edit on 24-4-2013 by jjsr420 because: massive TYPO!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Like someone else said above, "Homeless" people are just PEOPLE like us.

Having a home isn't what life is all about.

Clydesdale and Ted Williams are two good examples...

edit on 24-4-2013 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

While I like your message because the world in general should just 'give' more, help and share the "LOVE", I will however say that no one likes a free loader and personally I'm sick and tired of being constantly harassed by homeless and/or junkies who are often verbally abusive if you don't give them what they want. There is a sense of entitlement that is prevalent in our society now more than ever, especially from those on the street. At least where I live that appears to be the case. The last time I felt bad for a homeless guy I bought him a sandwich and a coffee, handed it to him only to watch him say to me "thanks a f*&king lot" and toss it in the garbage bin right in front of me. Yeah not too keen on promoting the lifestyle of people who wouldn't think twice stealing, not that every homeless person is like this. Like I said, there are few cases of genuine homeless people needing help compared to the many that literally exploit and live off everyone's back due to drugs, repeat offending or other.

Yeah some of us are a bit jaded by the society that is our world today but you can't blame us. It is harder to find the genuine cases of people who suffered at no fault of their own but are left in this world stranded without resources. Those are the people I want to help..............not too interested in helping those that just want to chase the dragon, live without accountability of their actions to do nothing but chase a high.

Show me someone who is genuinely down and out and is more than willing to jump at any opportunity to turn their lives around, work and I'll be right there trying to do what ever I can to help them out.

Sadly what I see around me is anything but that.

I'm also sick and tired of a delinquent government that let's its country literally go to sh*t like stray street dogs fighting for the scraps. Welcome to our new world order. I'd really love to be all granola but things aren't that black and white anymore. However, I remain eager to help a person that genuinely wants to help themselves.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Elemetia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elemetia
reply to post by Elemetia

While I like your message because the world in general should just 'give' more, help and share the "LOVE", I will however say that no one likes a free loader and personally I'm sick and tired of being constantly harassed by homeless and/or junkies who are often verbally abusive if you don't give them what they want. There is a sense of entitlement that is prevalent in our society now more than ever, especially from those on the street. At least where I live that appears to be the case. The last time I felt bad for a homeless guy I bought him a sandwich and a coffee, handed it to him only to watch him say to me "thanks a f*&king lot" and toss it in the garbage bin right in front of me. Yeah not too keen on promoting the lifestyle of people who wouldn't think twice stealing, not that every homeless person is like this. Like I said, there are few cases of genuine homeless people needing help compared to the many that literally exploit and live off everyone's back due to drugs, repeat offending or other.

Yeah some of us are a bit jaded by the society that is our world today but you can't blame us. It is harder to find the genuine cases of people who suffered at no fault of their own but are left in this world stranded without resources. Those are the people I want to help..............not too interested in helping those that just want to chase the dragon, live without accountability of their actions to do nothing but chase a high.

Show me someone who is genuinely down and out and is more than willing to jump at any opportunity to turn their lives around, work and I'll be right there trying to do what ever I can to help them out.

Sadly what I see around me is anything but that.

I'm also sick and tired of a delinquent government that let's its country literally go to sh*t like stray street dogs fighting for the scraps. Welcome to our new world order. I'd really love to be all granola but things aren't that black and white anymore. However, I remain eager to help a person that genuinely wants to help themselves.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Elemetia because: (no reason given)

I'll go through your post piece by piece, cause I have alot to reply to. Yea, I openly admit that there are alot of homeless (mostly junkies though) who feel that you OWE them what's in your back pocket, but the vast majority of us aren't like that. Take me for example. I don't deny that I panhandle. But regardless of someone helping, or not helping, I ALWAYS say "Have a blessed day sir (or ma'am)" Even if they just cursed me out for everything i'm worth. As far as what the guy did to you, i'd have never done that. I'd have hugged you, ate the food while you were standing there, hugged you again, and told you to have a truely blessed day.

I'm homeless -now-, in a city that's SUPER hard to find work in. I have -nothing- going for me. If someone gave me a chance to better my life, i'd jump on it. Heck, even if there was work here, I couldn't get it because I can't even get a bath. Nobody is gonna hire a stinky, dirty homeless guy. That doesn't mean I don't have Apps in everywhere though.

There's good, and bad in the homeless community JUST like there's good and bad in EVERY community. I bet you know a couple people in your own circle that aren't very good people, just like I know people in my own circles that just aren't very good people. That doesn't, however, mean that we're all like that. I know me panhandling isn't really the best thing in the world, and i'm not working for what money I make....or am I? I try to bring smiles to everyone who passes me; wether I ask them, or not. Also, I don't ask everyone. If you have children with you, I don't ask. If you're elderly, I don't ask. If you look sad, or like you're living day to day, I don't ask. If you're wearing a suit, and tie, and looking at your wad of twenties in your wallet while deciding which resturant to go eat at....yea...i'ma ask you if you can spare anything.

Bottom line is: Some of us have morals. Don't let the few rotten apples turn you away from the whole tree.
edit on 25-4-2013 by jjsr420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

I've heard people curse at a guy just askin for some spare change. Really? Is it THAT serious? You're THAT worried about a couple quarters, and a nickle?

The world is a much different place. In my youth, that guy was probably going to put it towards food (or at worst, booze).

Now, this same guy is seen as a potential threat, someone who might knife me just for the $20 in my wallet. This same guy could even make more than I do per day by begging, change into some clothes, hop in his car, and drive to a nice home. Or, this guy could be an addict and as soon as I look down in my wallet, he plugs me with a pistol.

You can't be too hard on folks who are wary of strangers approaching them these days...sorry.

There are places (shelters) you can get cleaned up (beach showers are free), have an address to give, etc., if you are really looking for work..even day labor. Isn't much, and you'd probably make more begging, but it is honest work.

By the way, Ted Williams still struggles with addiction issues, he's been in and out of Rehab TWICE since he came to national attention.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have to admit, I'm burned out on helping the homeless.

Every shopping center I go into has the homeless guys sitting in front asking for money. I know that our county has facilities to help the homeless and I give money to the local food bank. When I travel, I get approached at rest stops, when I goto the big box stores I see the homeless sitting on the curb with their signs.

I'm burned out. I won't give them money anymore but I will contribute to food banks. I think that a lot of the money that is given to the guys with the signs goes right to booze and smokes. I see the same people day after day after day.

I'm all for help, but the homeless needs to at least make an attempt to help themselves. I think for many, this is a chosen lifestyle and they do not want to get a job and pay their own way. That's my opinion.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
You were never homeless, your home is where you are. I see you have traveled all over the place, that is fun when you are young. I thought of doing that when I was in my twenties, going out and traveling around the country. Hitchhiking was common back then. I would have taken a car and lived out of the car, getting jobs as I traveled.

They refer to that as homeless nowadays

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The world is a much different place. In my youth, that guy was probably going to put it towards food (or at worst, booze).

Now, this same guy is seen as a potential threat, someone who might knife me just for the $20 in my wallet. This same guy could even make more than I do per day by begging, change into some clothes, hop in his car, and drive to a nice home. Or, this guy could be an addict and as soon as I look down in my wallet, he plugs me with a pistol.

You can't be too hard on folks who are wary of strangers approaching them these days...sorry.

There are places (shelters) you can get cleaned up (beach showers are free), have an address to give, etc., if you are really looking for work..even day labor. Isn't much, and you'd probably make more begging, but it is honest work.

By the way, Ted Williams still struggles with addiction issues, he's been in and out of Rehab TWICE since he came to national attention.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

Actually, as i've stated previously, you're more likely to get robbed by someone who makes thier living robbing people than a homeless person. And yes, there are people who are greedy, and just want more, and more. I myself only ask for what I need to feed myself. As far as shelters are concerned, the local shelter here in Dayton refuses to help people, has STAFF selling drugs, and kicks people out for what I would say is idiotic reasons (A good friend of mine got exited simply because he doesn't have an ID) I myself got kicked out because I was trying to get the shelter's staff reported for selling drugs to the clients.

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I have to admit, I'm burned out on helping the homeless.

Every shopping center I go into has the homeless guys sitting in front asking for money. I know that our county has facilities to help the homeless and I give money to the local food bank. When I travel, I get approached at rest stops, when I goto the big box stores I see the homeless sitting on the curb with their signs.

I'm burned out. I won't give them money anymore but I will contribute to food banks. I think that a lot of the money that is given to the guys with the signs goes right to booze and smokes. I see the same people day after day after day.

I'm all for help, but the homeless needs to at least make an attempt to help themselves. I think for many, this is a chosen lifestyle and they do not want to get a job and pay their own way. That's my opinion.

I've made not only one attempt, but many to get a job. It's kind of difficult when you can't even shower.

Yes, there ARE people that take advantage of other's kindness, but there are also those who don't, and truely need help. Should you turn the good one's away simply because of the bad ones?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yea, i've traveled alot. It is fun, but also very tiring.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Like I said, our county has facilities to help people get back on their feet.

A neighboring county has some great facilities to help people who want to help themselves. Roof over your head, a telephone so you can receive calls, showers etc.

I won't donate to individuals anymore. In the past, I did. But I'd see the same people begging day after day. They would tell me the same story. "I need some money for gas to get to my home" But they never left for home.

I still think that many people are really kind at heart but they are tired of the beggars that lie to them.
"

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
reply to post by jjsr420

Like I said, our county has facilities to help people get back on their feet.

A neighboring county has some great facilities to help people who want to help themselves. Roof over your head, a telephone so you can receive calls, showers etc.

I won't donate to individuals anymore. In the past, I did. But I'd see the same people begging day after day. They would tell me the same story. "I need some money for gas to get to my home" But they never left for home.

I still think that many people are really kind at heart but they are tired of the beggars that lie to them.
"

Have you yourself been in -any- of those facilities? If you have, then yes, you can say they're great. If you haven't, then how do you know they're great? Because some city official told you they're great?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join