It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing "Bibleman"! And a host of other kid-oriented indoctrination tools

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It is no different than all of the magic and satanic images in kids movies and cartoons today, not to mention the sex and homosexuality that is all over the programs designed for pre-teens. Contrary to what some people think, it is up to the parents to decide what is appropriate for your child/teen. If you don't want your child to watch Bibleman then don't let them watch it.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MrBigDave

Agreed.
But, if you (generic 'you') DO want your child to watch Bibleman, generic 'you' ought to be aware that it is slanted and teaching violence, not peace and love.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Have you seen the cartoons they show nowadays?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
AfterInfinity,
no, I don't watch cartoons aimed at kids. I do watch South Park, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, etc.
But not kiddie toons. My kids are grown.

I know a few years ago Dora the Explorer was a hugely popular show for preschoolers. My kids did watch Sesame Street and Mister Rogers, and my son's favorite shows when he was 3 years old were "Adult Math" and that little detective-type dog - what was his name? .....Oh yeah, Wishbone.
edit on 26-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

Oh, and when I was 20-ish I LOVED watching Peewee's Playhouse. Loved it!!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

"Atheistic" thinking and "material culture" are two separate things, first of all.

material culture is an outcome of athestic thinking.
By atheistic thinking i did not mean only atheists. A priest who wants a useless expensive material thing rather than using the same money to feed the poor is infected by atheistic thinking.
"There is nothing after death(atheistic thinking) so just enjoy this life as much as possible(materialism)"

Yes, consumerism is a problem, but it's
a problem that does not have
anything to do with "God." It's about
MAKING MONEY.

consumerism is ofcourse about money but the sellers wouldn't sell if buyers didnt wanted it or indoctrinated to want it by promoting atheistic ideas. There is a basic material desire that is being exploited and a belief in God reduces excessive materialism so it is bad for business.

Atheistic thinking=> materialism=> consumerism

And since God can not be "proven" in
any reliable way to exist, but it HAS been proven that extreme religious
militants DO HARM PEOPLE in the name
of their "God," it must be addressed.

i have been having a debate with Jiggerj on this topic on my thread "concept of God in Islam". I am also waiting for your reply on the thread(maybe you din't check it later)

Atheistic thinking has done more damage than militants/extremists. No God concious Christian could have possibly given the order( relayed it or 'executed it') of nuking Hiroshima & Nagasaki!!
Killing innocents in name of anything/anyone is wrong be it God or nationalism or peace.

(I am using the word atheism/atheistic thinking for what it means, not directing it at atheists)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by logical7

I did post to your thread - www.abovetopsecret.com... I'll go back and read some more of it, though. You stated that God invented people solely to worship him, and I disagree entirely.

anyway, if you're not directing your remarks toward "atheists" - I don't understand what you mean. Atheists are the people who are the specimens of atheistic thinking...the two can't be separated.

There are PLENTY of very materialistic "theists" - and PLENTY of "atheists" who are revolted by the rampant "materialism" of cultures in general.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

material culture is an outcome of athestic thinking.
By atheistic thinking i did not mean only atheists. A priest who wants a useless expensive material thing rather than using the same money to feed the poor is infected by atheistic thinking.
"There is nothing after death(atheistic thinking) so just enjoy this life as much as possible(materialism)"

I don't know what atheists you've been talking to, but seeing as how I technically qualify as an atheist, I would appreciate you keeping that broad brush away from me. If you want to make generalizations, do it where no one cares about unfounded allegations.

consumerism is ofcourse about money but the sellers wouldn't sell if buyers didnt wanted it or indoctrinated to want it by promoting atheistic ideas. There is a basic material desire that is being exploited and a belief in God reduces excessive materialism so it is bad for business.

Atheistic thinking=> materialism=> consumerism

Survivalism => continual material existence => continual material sustenance => material exchange system

If you're not big into materialism, then why not sell your house and your car and your computer and go live in the wilderness with nothing but your god and the trees and animals for company? Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue to practice a reasonable degree of materialism because we prefer not to live in suicidal destitution.

Atheistic thinking has done more damage than militants/extremists. No God concious Christian could have possibly given the order( relayed it or 'executed it') of nuking Hiroshima & Nagasaki!!
Killing innocents in name of anything/anyone is wrong be it God or nationalism or peace.

(I am using the word atheism/atheistic thinking for what it means, not directing it at atheists)

1. Provide sources for your claims, please.

2. To accuse a movement or school of thought is to accuse the followers of said movement or school of thought. If you are going to make allegations toward any idea held by any group, be prepared to defend your opinions when they challenge you.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by logical7

Please show me this definition somewhere. You can't just make up a definition and then call it fact. Atheistic thinking has ONLY to do with the belief in deities. You can't just attach it to other words, thoughts and ideals and make it mean what you want it to mean.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

You stated that God invented people solely to worship him, and I disagree entirely.

God created humans to worship Him. I did not mean singing hymns in church or just praying 5 times. Do check my reply on the thread.

if you're not directing your
remarks toward "atheists" - I don't
understand what you mean. Atheists
are the people who are the specimens
of atheistic thinking...the two can't be
separated.

i am directing my remarks to the atheistic thinking that people will not be accountable for their actions(if they manage to escape human laws till death) and for that God should not exist and so the belief is atheistic.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I don't know what atheists you've been talking to, but seeing as how I technically qualify as an atheist, I would appreciate you keeping that broad brush away from me. If you want to make generalizations, do it where no one cares about unfounded allegations.

if you believe that 'if nobody saw what wrong you did then its no wrong' then my remark is right at you. If not then you need not get offended.

If you're not big into materialism, then
why not sell your house and your car
and your computer and go live in the
wilderness with nothing but your god
and the trees and animals for
company? Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue to practice a reasonable
degree of materialism because we
prefer not to live in suicidal destitution.

i said, "a belief in God reduces excessive materialism"

1. Provide sources for your claims, please.
2. To accuse a movement or school of thought is to accuse the followers of said movement or school of thought. If you are going to make allegations
toward any idea held by any group,
be prepared to defend your opinions when they challenge you.

an atheist is not just someone who denies God. He/she is also someone who denies the implication of it. Like death not being the end, accountability of actions after death. The denial can be by words and/or actions.

The proof is self evident. A christian president approving a genocide is a theist by claim but atheist to the jugdement day/accountability of actions.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Not necessarily. An atheist's beliefs are concerned solely with the existence of a deity. Since every other concept you mention is not necessarily conditional upon the existence of a deity, they are not affected or implicated in the beliefs of an atheist except through assumption.

Of course, if you have sources proving me wrong, I'm more than willing to consider what they have to say.

Also, excessive materialism is not strictly an atheist trait. You see atheists obsessing themselves over material possession and automatically assume it's an atheist thing. You're going to need to prove conclusively that it's an exclusively atheist habit in order for us to accept it.
edit on 26-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

an atheist is not just someone who denies God.

YES IT IS. That's exactly what it is. YOU are adding other meanings to it and you're WRONG. Jesus, man, just admit when you've made a mistake and move on. Some atheists believe in life after death. Some are very spiritual. Most believe in being accountable for their actions. What you're saying is simply incorrect. You're making it up. Just stop using that word if you don't know what it means.

edit on 4/26/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Please show me this definition somewhere. You can't just make up a definition and then call it fact. Atheistic thinking has ONLY to do with the belief in deities. You can't just attach it to other words, thoughts and ideals and make it mean what you want it to mean.

its just implied, or show me an atheist who believes in judgement day, afterlife etc.
If i disbelieve in unicorn, i also disbelieve that it will bite me if i do wrong.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Some atheists believe in life after death. Some are very spiritual. Most believe in being accountable for their actions.

that is news to me. Ok i admit my mistake. I will not generalise it.
But what do i call the ones who think death is an end and no accountability after death?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

But what do i call the ones who think death is an end and no accountability after death?

Nihilists.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Since every other concept you mention is not necessarily conditional upon the existence of a deity

no its not conditional. For accountability after death an intangible memory of actions done by the individual is needed, also even if its just designed into universal laws then an intelligence is needed to plan it that way, you cannot believe karma to be designed/exist without an intelligence that understands Justice.

You're going to
need to prove conclusively that it's an exclusively atheist habit in order for us
to accept it.

who is more likely to love the world, someone who believes that only the world is real and death is the end or someone who believes in a better Heaven?
You just need thought experiments to discuss, not proofs.
edit on 26-4-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Some atheists believe in life after death. Some are very spiritual. Most believe in being accountable for their actions.

Yes. I'm an agnostic, but I believe in life after death in terms of continuity of "self", and consider myself very spiritual, and absolutely take accountability for my actions seriously. I do believe we "reap what we sow". Actually, I am more inclined toward what I learned over the weekend about the Hindu tradition and reincarnation. It was a discussion panel of a Catholic, a young Jew (the only one who wasn't an "expert" and brought his ideas from talking to Rabbis over the previous two weeks), a Muslim, a Hindu, and an Atheist.

The subject was "Morality in your Tradition."

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

God created humans to worship Him.

That's what you BELIEVE. I do NOT believe it.

As for the rest of your post, AI, and BH have done an excellent job of straightening out your misunderstanding. I've noticed that you have done this ever since you joined - tried to blame "atheism" for immorality, and it just ISN'T SO.

What you are talking about is "selfishness", and if "God" created humans to worship him, God is selfish, too.

I'm sorry, but we will never agree on that. Until when I die, or God shows up and tells me himself, I find out otherwise, I won't believe it. I wasn't born for subservience. I was born for the purpose of the DNA in my body to perpetuate itself and to reproduce. If a God created that DNA, fine. Cool. I've told you I tend toward Deism.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Nihilists.

thanks, i read about it and yes what i mean is people with moral nihilism.
I also found a philosophy called existentialism that fits what i meant.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

who is more likely to love the world, someone who believes that only the world is real and death is the end or someone who believes in a better Heaven?

This is a very loaded question. The answer is that people who believe in a better Heaven are sometimes not motivated to do ANYTHING but pray for Armageddon and PRETEND that they are nice, or do nice things on purpose to "get to Heaven." It is those people - who want to bring on Armageddon and the Rapture, and believe the world really WILL never change - who are KEEPING THE WORLD FROM CHANGING for the "better."

People who believe in only one lifetime will use that lifetime to work while they are alive for peace, REAL justice, and the care of ALL humanity.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join